inTank Media Baskets

Nuvo (Innovative Marine) Reef People!

ReefKeif323

ReefKeif323

Any Nuvo owners who care to show off their reef set up, has tips for better filtration or wants to share their opinions on their tanks shoot a post!

I own a Nuvo 30 my live stock is 1 Flame Angel, 1 Blue Tang, 1 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Fu Manchu Lionfish, 3 hermits crabs, a couple snails, 2 Sand Sifting Sea Stars & 1 Tiger Striped Serpent Sea Star.

It does't look like much now, I still need to add a few more pieces of live rock, aquascape it, then add a few more pieces of coral but here's a picture.

post-83894-0-97073100-1394665701_thumb.jpg

ReefKeif323

Nice I have the same tank. How long has yours been up and running?

Thanks, I've only had mine about a month. I upgraded from a 14G biocube, I got a pretty decent deal on it from Craigslist. It was a stable tank so I just kept the sand, live rock & most of the water it came with.

How long have you had yours?

Yes! Nuvo owners unite!

Very spiffy tanks, these.

Looks like yours is coming along nicely!

Haha yup! Yeah they definitely stand out, thanks! You have a 24? That was the 1st Nuvo I seen & I was amazed, had to have one! haha what do you have in yours?

How long have you had yours?

I got mine up and running a little over two weeks ago. It's very empty at this point :)

I started with clean rock, so letting the cycle take its course.

ReefKeif323

I got mine up and running a little over two weeks ago. It's very empty at this point :)

I started with clean rock, so letting the cycle take its course.

Sounds good! What light set up are you running?

Nuvo 8 here! Been running about 2 months now.

Hardware

Aquarium: Innovative Marine Nuvo 8 - Black
Lighting: Reef Brite 12" Tech Actinic Blue LED Strip
Deep Blue SolarFlare 115
Heater: Cobalt Aquatics Accu-Therm 75 Watt
Pump: MJ900 w/ spin stream
Filter Media: Stock media basket with Filter Floss, Purigen, and Chemipure Elite

Daily Tank Schedule
9AM ReefBrite Blue turns on
MP10 goes on reef crest mode
10:30AM SolarFlare daylight turns on
8PM ReefBrite Blue turns off
Manually switch SolarFlare to Blue/UV
9PM MP10 goes on night mode
11PM SolarFlare turns off

Feeding Schedule

Daily

Feed Clown with New Life Spectrum Thera A 1mm pellets

Weekly

Broadcast feed with LRS Reef Frenzy

Spot feed Torch and Red Deaths with LRS Reef Frenzy

Maintenance Schedule

Daily

Top off with fresh RO/DI water(appx. 4-5 oz)

Every 3 days

Clean Glass

Replace Filter Floss

Weekly

Bast rock and sand with turkey baster

1.5 gallon water change

As Needed

Replace ChemiPure Elite and Purigen

Livestock

Fish
Ocellaris Clownfish(hopefully this will be symbiotic relationship #1)

Clean-Up Crew
2 x Astrea Snails
4 x Nerite snails
1 x Electric Blue Knuckled Hermit

LPS
Purple Tipped Torch Coral(hopefully this will be symbiotic relationship #1)

Soft Coral/Mushrooms
Yellow and Purple Yuma

Zoas/Palys
Red Death Palys

Gorilla Nipples

DSCN3358_zpsbb22e7fd.jpg

SquishyFishy

Here's my 16:
20140312_114436-L.jpg

I love this tank, everything works perfectly from the compartments in the back to be able to have a small refugium to the lights and pump it came with...so far so good. I know I will have to improve the lighting for my plan, I'm going to add a par 30 bulb in the middle with full spectrum, but the stocks are doing a good job for now.

Cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, Gramma, 2 clowns and a green clown goby

Pulsing Xenia, daisy clove polyp and some whammin watermelon zoo....wish I had more money right now! :angry:

Nuvo 8(Soon to be a Fusion 30L)

I have the following hardware.

Nuvo 8 Tank

Nuvo Spinstream

Maxijet 1200 return pump

Nano CL-85 chiller

Mp10

Theo 50w heater

inTank Media Basket

inTank fuge

JBJ Nano Glo

10lb of figi pink LS

10 Lbs of premium LR

Reefkeeper elite net

I have a DIY custom LED setup

Includes 24 3 watt crees with a 2:1 ratio blue to white.

8 CREE XP-E R3 Cool White 3W LED On Star

16 CREE XP-E Royal Blue 3W LED On Star

They are driven by a Nanocustoms Duo 700 LED Driver. This has 2 700ma drivers that are on sliders and 3way rocker switch but also has a 0-10v input. I am running mine with the reefkeeper for the dusk dawn effect.

The LEDs are all on a Nanocustom heatsink and attached with BJB Solderless LED Connectors on Quadica thermal heat tape

Livestock

Black Ice clown

Rainbow/Tri color BTA

Yellow corsis wrasse

Pom Pom crab

Nerites

Ceriths

Astreas

3 blue leg hermits

Fiji blues

Fire and ice

God of war

Rastas

Candy apple reds

Rose nebula

Bbeb

Jf atomic sunrise (bam bam's)

gates of hell lepastria

German blue digitata

Common green, red, purple shrooms

Green Dream Pallies

GSP

Clove polyps

Devils Finger leather

Lavender Hairy mushroom

jawbreaker

Superman rhodactis

Nuclear Sunset Ric

ReefKeif323

Clean,

Nuvo 8 here! Been running about 2 months now.

Hardware

Aquarium: Innovative Marine Nuvo 8 - Black
Lighting: Reef Brite 12" Tech Actinic Blue LED Strip
Deep Blue SolarFlare 115
Heater: Cobalt Aquatics Accu-Therm 75 Watt
Pump: MJ900 w/ spin stream
Filter Media: Stock media basket with Filter Floss, Purigen, and Chemipure Elite

Daily Tank Schedule
9AM ReefBrite Blue turns on
MP10 goes on reef crest mode
10:30AM SolarFlare daylight turns on
8PM ReefBrite Blue turns off
Manually switch SolarFlare to Blue/UV
9PM MP10 goes on night mode
11PM SolarFlare turns off

Feeding Schedule

Daily

Feed Clown with New Life Spectrum Thera A 1mm pellets

Weekly

Broadcast feed with LRS Reef Frenzy

Spot feed Torch and Red Deaths with LRS Reef Frenzy

Maintenance Schedule

Daily

Top off with fresh RO/DI water(appx. 4-5 oz)

Every 3 days

Clean Glass

Replace Filter Floss

Weekly

Bast rock and sand with turkey baster

1.5 gallon water change

As Needed

Replace ChemiPure Elite and Purigen

Livestock

Fish
Ocellaris Clownfish(hopefully this will be symbiotic relationship #1)

Clean-Up Crew
2 x Astrea Snails
4 x Nerite snails
1 x Electric Blue Knuckled Hermit

LPS
Purple Tipped Torch Coral(hopefully this will be symbiotic relationship #1)

Soft Coral/Mushrooms
Yellow and Purple Yuma

Zoas/Palys
Red Death Palys

Gorilla Nipples

DSCN3358_zpsbb22e7fd.jpg

Nice how's everything holding up so far? I started out with a fluval Spec 5 gallon last June and damn are those tiny tanks a BIG task lol but well worth it :)

ReefKeif323

Here's my 16:

20140312_114436-L.jpg

I love this tank, everything works perfectly from the compartments in the back to be able to have a small refugium to the lights and pump it came with...so far so good. I know I will have to improve the lighting for my plan, I'm going to add a par 30 bulb in the middle with full spectrum, but the stocks are doing a good job for now.

Cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, Gramma, 2 clowns and a green clown goby

Pulsing Xenia, daisy clove polyp and some whammin watermelon zoo....wish I had more money right now! :angry:

It looks great! the black clownfish and orange clownfish go great together. Yeah I know right? but the excitement of spending money and adding little things here and there lasts a lot longer then buying everything at once, so it's also great to make a project out of it :)

Nuvo 8(Soon to be a Fusion 30L)

I have the following hardware.

Nuvo 8 Tank

Nuvo Spinstream

Maxijet 1200 return pump

Nano CL-85 chiller

Mp10

Theo 50w heater

inTank Media Basket

inTank fuge

JBJ Nano Glo

10lb of figi pink LS

10 Lbs of premium LR

Reefkeeper elite net

I have a DIY custom LED setup

Includes 24 3 watt crees with a 2:1 ratio blue to white.

8 CREE XP-E R3 Cool White 3W LED On Star

16 CREE XP-E Royal Blue 3W LED On Star

They are driven by a Nanocustoms Duo 700 LED Driver. This has 2 700ma drivers that are on sliders and 3way rocker switch but also has a 0-10v input. I am running mine with the reefkeeper for the dusk dawn effect.

The LEDs are all on a Nanocustom heatsink and attached with BJB Solderless LED Connectors on Quadica thermal heat tape

Livestock

Black Ice clown

Rainbow/Tri color BTA

Yellow corsis wrasse

Pom Pom crab

Nerites

Ceriths

Astreas

3 blue leg hermits

Fiji blues

Fire and ice

God of war

Rastas

Candy apple reds

Rose nebula

Bbeb

Jf atomic sunrise (bam bam's)

gates of hell lepastria

German blue digitata

Common green, red, purple shrooms

Green Dream Pallies

GSP

Clove polyps

Devils Finger leather

Lavender Hairy mushroom

jawbreaker

Superman rhodactis

Nuclear Sunset Ric

How are you liking the DIY LED set up? I seen a few people doing that and I like to build things and pull things apart to make it my way so that caught my attention.

ReefKeif323

I bought a few more pieces of live rock and added an acropora to my tank so here's an updated picture, I trip out on how my tang, flame angel & clown are always together, It's kind of neat how they all get a long like that. I've had the Fu Manchu about a week and it's still always hiding in the cave and not eating so i'm focused on fixing that at the moment.

I bought a few more pieces of live rock and added an acropora to my tank so here's an updated picture, I trip out on how my tang, flame angel & clown are always together, It's kind of neat how they all get a long like that. I've had the Fu Manchu about a week and it's still always hiding in the cave and not eating so i'm focused on fixing that at the moment.

http://s132.photobucket.com/user/DntFiteTheFeaLeN/media/Unknown_zps4b868d1a.jpg.html'>Unknown_zps4b868d1a.jpg

http://s132.photobucket.com/user/DntFiteTheFeaLeN/media/Unknown2_zps3b904cd4.jpg.html'>Unknown2_zps3b904cd4.jpg

Just started a Nuvo 8 a few days ago. It's on my bedroom end table. The water over the overflow puts me to sleep..

Not much to see yet...

b862404f-b0ef-47d2-998a-dc9647ffd434_zps

ReefKeif323

Just started a Nuvo 8 a few days ago. It's on my bedroom end table. The water over the overflow puts me to sleep..

Not much to see yet...

b862404f-b0ef-47d2-998a-dc9647ffd434_zps

Dope, what are your plans for coral & livestock?

Probably palys and mushrooms and maybe gsp and others that will be ok with the stock lights. Equally unsure about the livestock. Since I travel a lot, it's going to be something the wife won't mind helping with (aka easy to care for...)

How are you liking the DIY LED set up? I seen a few people doing that and I like to build things and pull things apart to make it my way so that caught my attention.

I originally did it for a BC29 retro and ended up just hanging it above my nuvo.

Honestly I think DIY LED is a much better option for the smaller tanks, and if you do the solderless LED's it is that much easier to swap things out to get what you like.

ReefKeif323

I originally did it for a BC29 retro and ended up just hanging it above my nuvo.

Honestly I think DIY LED is a much better option for the smaller tanks, and if you do the solderless LED's it is that much easier to swap things out to get what you like.

Alright I see, sounds good. I'll for sure look into it more and maybe try it out. thanks!

Hey all, I have a few quick questions to (I believe) all Nuvo owners!

I am interested in picking up one of the new Fusion 40g as my first saltwater tank, but I have a quick questions.

My first one is in regards to how much water the tanks hold.

I know there's like, the sump, behind the tank so does that count as part of the 40g? I assume it does. When the 38g was the only one available, I assumed that it was 30g in the main tank (where the fish and corals will be), and 8g go in the back.

So basically, the new Fusion the overall system has 40g of water in it.

Additionally, I read a few "meh" reviews on the official Skimmer, so I'll probably look at higher quality ones, but I assume I have a limited selection since the space in the back is small. Does anyone have a list of ones that fit?

Also, I prefer the rectangular look of the 30g one, but it seems so...small in terms of water quantity. I prefer the 40g since it has more water, but only if they had it between the 24" and 36" . A nice 30" wide 40g one would be sick.

(I also asked this on reefcentral, so once I get a reply or something, ill edit either this post or the other one :) )

Hey all, I have a few quick questions to (I believe) all Nuvo owners!

I am interested in picking up one of the new Fusion 40g as my first saltwater tank, but I have a quick questions.

My first one is in regards to how much water the tanks hold.

I know there's like, the sump, behind the tank so does that count as part of the 40g? I assume it does. When the 38g was the only one available, I assumed that it was 30g in the main tank (where the fish and corals will be), and 8g go in the back.

So basically, the new Fusion the overall system has 40g of water in it.

Additionally, I read a few "meh" reviews on the official Skimmer, so I'll probably look at higher quality ones, but I assume I have a limited selection since the space in the back is small. Does anyone have a list of ones that fit?

Also, I prefer the rectangular look of the 30g one, but it seems so...small in terms of water quantity. I prefer the 40g since it has more water, but only if they had it between the 24" and 36" . A nice 30" wide 40g one would be sick.

(I also asked this on reefcentral, so once I get a reply or something, ill edit either this post or the other one :) )

Going off the dimensions listed on the spec sheet

http://www.innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/specs/mini-40-spec-sheet.pdf

And using the calculator here

http://ecotechmarine.com/calculator/

Subtracting the width of the sump area you'd have ~30g in the display.

Personally the IM skimmer is wonderful, most people give up on it before it's broken in.

Otherwise Tunze has one that will work.

My 30L arrives tomorrow, it may have less volume but it's a freaking 3 foot wide tank, plus the length give the fish much more horizontal room and personally allows for more unique aqua scapes.

IM16 here

I am still experimenting with filtration but that's what is running at the moment:

-stock basket on one side (media removed and replaced with poly-floss top chemi-pure and phos-guard)

-next (2nd chamber) chaeto with IM fuge led.

Return chamber with small LR rubble

-left side basket removed and replaced with poly-floss and chaeto

-2nd chamber has gfo reactor running on low flow

Display tank:

2 inches of live black Fiji sand

and about 10lbs of live rock and rubble

Livestock:

-pair of Wyoming white longish

-4.5" Peacock Mantis shrimp

-urchin

-emerald crab, various snails and hermits (those get replaced occasionally as it provides Mantis shrimp with extra food source)

Corals

GSP, pumping xenia, giant xenia, various acans, leather, red finger sponge, yumas, rics, shrooms, birdness, snakeskin chalice, dukans etc

-light

R420R 16K Razor set at %50 MAX

Water changes- once a week %40

Feeding- fish once or twice a day. Corals- once a week before water change. Mantis shrimp- every 2-3 days (table shrimp)

Future upgrade: possibly nano skimmer and upgraded media basket

20140303_172010_zpswvkzmdpu.jpglder pic

Going off the dimensions listed on the spec sheet

http://www.innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/specs/mini-40-spec-sheet.pdf

And using the calculator here

http://ecotechmarine.com/calculator/

Subtracting the width of the sump area you'd have ~30g in the display.

Personally the IM skimmer is wonderful, most people give up on it before it's broken in.

Otherwise Tunze has one that will work.

My 30L arrives tomorrow, it may have less volume but it's a freaking 3 foot wide tank, plus the length give the fish much more horizontal room and personally allows for more unique aqua scapes.

This is true, I prefer the horizontal view, but wouldn't more water allow me to have more livestock / corals and such

This is true, I prefer the horizontal view, but wouldn't more water allow me to have more livestock / corals and such

The 30L has a display area that holds 25g of water vs the mini 40 with 30g, IMO 5g may allow 1 extra fish in the long run.

The sump area in the 30L has half the volume as the 40 that's another reason I choose it.

IM16 here

I am still experimenting with filtration but that's what is running at the moment:

-stock basket on one side (media removed and replaced with poly-floss top chemi-pure and phos-guard)

-next (2nd chamber) chaeto with IM fuge led.

Return chamber with small LR rubble

-left side basket removed and replaced with poly-floss and chaeto

-2nd chamber has gfo reactor running on low flow

Display tank:

2 inches of live black Fiji sand

and about 10lbs of live rock and rubble

Livestock:

-pair of Wyoming white longish

-4.5" Peacock Mantis shrimp

-urchin

-emerald crab, various snails and hermits (those get replaced occasionally as it provides Mantis shrimp with extra food source)

Corals

GSP, pumping xenia, giant xenia, various acans, leather, red finger sponge, yumas, rics, shrooms, birdness, snakeskin chalice, dukans etc

-light

R420R 16K Razor set at %50 MAX

Water changes- once a week %40

Feeding- fish once or twice a day. Corals- once a week before water change. Mantis shrimp- every 2-3 days (table shrimp)

Future upgrade: possibly nano skimmer and upgraded media basket

20140303_172010_zpswvkzmdpu.jpglder pic

Sweet mantis setup.

I have a question, why are you running both Phos Guard and GFO, I always thought they are pretty much the same thing.

How's the rubble working out for you?

I ended up removing mine all together as it was trapping detritus and causing my trates to be high.

Personally I'd do a bio-pellet reactor, plus I'm not to sure you'd see much benefit from the skimmer investment with your current routine.

• 2 weeks later...
ReefKeif323

Quick question, is there any cons to not having the glass top on besides the fish possibly jumping out? It looks alright with the glass top these aquariums come with but they look way more bad ass with no top so just seeing what your opinions are on that?

Archived