Coral Vue Hydros

Frank's Nuvo 8 - One year old..

frankdr

Beautiful tank! Love the timelaps videos, and those macro shots! Your photography improves significantly each time :) keep it up! *following*

Reefing is especially engaging for me, since it's a chance to combine lots of different interests - Fish, underwater life, photography, technology, chemistry etc.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back in town after a week in Michigan. Everything looks to be in order.

The Calupra Fern is growing like crazy

03418D09-5F22-4E4D-ABF7-73F9B28A40FB_zps

and the Kenya Tree is throwing off branches all over the tank (you can see a piece in the photo above). I'm pulling the pieces off and putting them in the frag tank. I'm going to have to sell/give away these soon. I'm thinking about pulling the entire Kenya Tree out the tank and replacing with a mushroom I'm going to trade some Apex setup help for..

Here's the mushroom. It's a phone pic, so the color is way off - more of a yellow/brown color. I go it in trade for helping a local reefer get his Apex on Fusion and clean up some other stuff. I like the little polyps that are out. I heard it's a fast grower..

I relocated the Kenya tree to the other side of the tank and moved the other mushroom to the back for now..

F925100E-687A-4803-99E1-A43C4D25EA73_zps

I also did a water change and pulled the media basket for cleaning. I found two brittle stars back there. It's not easy getting your hands back there, but I rescued them and tossed them back in the main section.

I was playing with my camera and caught two pics with my Yellow Belly Damsel in them. The yellow is much clearer in person. My iPhone gets it's white balance way off.

IMG_6752_zps7fd0d7a2.jpg

IMG_6759_zps47c5b5b0.jpg

Looking good! Loving the new mushroom!

Thanks - I really like the way it looks. I put one in each of my tanks. In this tank, I put it where I can see it from bed. I'll be spending the first part of the week in Houston, so I'll keep a watch on it via my webcam.

Yours has me wanting one too! They had a nice frag of one at my LFS last week, wishing I had picked it up now! ... And I just saw your frag tank thread... Love it too!

Houston! That's my neck of the woods! What will you be doing down here? Work I'm guessing?

Yours has me wanting one too! They had a nice frag of one at my LFS last week, wishing I had picked it up now! ... And I just saw your frag tank thread... Love it too! Houston! That's my neck of the woods! What will you be doing down here? Work I'm guessing?

Yep - I took your advice for some of the LFS places. Gave me something to do after work. When I'm on the road, I try to search out the local LFS's. I've even brought items back if I find a great deal. I have some from Seattle and Denver.

Nice leather. I like the blue polyps. Should be interesting once it gets some size. Right now I can't tell if it's a toadstool or not since it has a weird shape. Looks awesome though :) Makes me miss my toadstool leather. Mine had green polyps.

I saw the colony it came from, and it's some type of toadstool. It's a fast grower too. It's probably going to outgrow the 8 eventually.

New FTS - pretty bad picture - probably due to phone qualityn reflections and ambient light. I'll do another tonight and use my DSLR.

But you can see everything in the tank except some Blue Scroll and a mushroom hidden in the back. That Kenya Tree started out as a 1/2" frag several weeks ago - now it's a monster..

4EB2103D-220F-4658-B7BF-31A80B92F534_zps

Some top views..

Added an SPS frag in the back - and yes - Lemon is in the back again - she moved there this afternoon

680EE473-03DF-4559-8C4F-D67B5AA01570_zps

And a closeup. This one is pretty bleached from hanging in the frag tank. It should have it's tan color back soon

A4712681-B751-4035-9502-5D5DB2FAABF7_zps

Here's the mushroom that's back in the right corner - and my hermit. He's munching on a piece of flake food. He must have smelled it, because he got over there pretty quick

E9977335-7F1A-41D1-81C6-E577169EDF02_zps

Another top view of the rear

175405B8-AC94-4645-A665-028AA75868EA_zps

Didn't realized how much this grew until I compared to the original pics. I've picked up a few offspring

2B0D90BE-0D67-4DAA-B400-57A7149EFCE5_zps

I needed a food source for my frag tank, and I was tired of my evil Damsel tearing up the aquascape, so I decided to move him out of the Nuvo 8... Ok - stop laughing..

Of course I knew he wouldn't go easily. Before it was all over, all the rocks - RFAs hanging on for dear life and all, got pulled from the tank. I'm not sure how much air time the damsel got - but I swear he was airborne at least twice before I got the net on him..

Anyways.. in the end, the rocks went back into the tank in a slightly different configuration - higher and with a flatter top..

pics to follow..

Here's the latest FTS about an hour after everything went back in the tank. I did a 30% WC and tried a technique where I inject water into the sand. The sand doesn't move much, but I get a little 'cloud' that the siphon is there to clean up.

The top rock is rotated just slightly upwards and to the back, so that the pile is taller and there's more room up front (for more corals of course)

I was going to put a snowflake clown in here, but with all the rock and sand disturbance, I figured it would be best to give it a few days - even tough all the water params were spot on. Check the JBJ thread to see the 'fish that might have been' When I get back to town this weekend, I'll find something else for this tank.

705575C7-ADA4-4F88-9BBF-8729734B6C18_zps

Wow I can't imagine trying to get a damsel out of there. Kudos to you for managing it!

Just got back in town from a week long trip. It looks so lonely in there.. but on the other hand, all the aquascape is in the same place. Nothing was knocked over or covered in sand.

I'm going to go looking for a new inhabitant this weekend.. Any suggestions?

Wow I can't imagine trying to get a damsel out of there. Kudos to you for managing it!

He lasted 3 days in the new tank and jumped.. I was hoping his new home was going to keep everyone happy - but I guess not :(

I was changing the filter floss and had to rescue a brittle star. At least he was easier to catch - this is becoming a regualar thing now..

This mushroom is getting wild with the polyps

56EC2A81-68FC-4B31-B84C-ADD5A9119790_zps

and here's a new frag of pink pulsing Xenia I pulled from the frag tank. It started out as a single polyp that landed on some rock in the rear filter. I'll keep these guys on 'Xenia Island' to prevent them getting too crazy..

4B5EADF9-0E11-431B-A68F-F86D29761493_zps

Well - I found a new inhabitant. I'm now the proud parent of a small Royal Gramma Basselt..

Haven't seen him since he was introduced to the tank this evening - but I understand that's normal.. Pics once he starts showing up..

Archived