Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Frank's Nuvo 8 - One year old..

frankdr

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the gsp always looks so cool on the back walls, however watch the Kenya tree it will invade your tank in no time and you'll need to remove it if it gets outta controll. Your paly colony looks so awesome right in the front like that

Yeah the gsp always looks so cool on the back walls, however watch the Kenya tree it will invade your tank in no time and you'll need to remove it if it gets outta controll. Your paly colony looks so awesome right in the front like that

Oh yes - this one started out as a tiny frag from my bigger tank. I'll probably sell/give away to someone local and start with another frag and let it grow.

Your paly colony looks so awesome right in the front like that

Here are some closeups. They're two slightly different types

This type has a 'smooth' look - with ridges

2014-10-12-z2_zpsd5701672.jpg

and these have 'lines' - thin on one side and wider on the other

2014-10-12-z1_zps85b687dd.jpg

If anyone knows the proper names, I'd love to find out..

Latest FTS - Lemon moved all the way to the front during the day

2014-10-18-fts_zps00d8ee3d.jpg

Good luck with the GSP. It always looks awesome on a backwall.

The bottom left of these are the original frags. The parts to the upper right are new growth

2014-10-18-gsp2_zpsdcb97c61.jpg

2014-10-18-gsp1_zpsf388e39e.jpg

Found some Fern Caulerpa mixed in some Chaeto I bought for my frag tank. Since I like the look - and this tank is high on the nitrate side, I'm going to see how this does in here.

2014-10-19-macro1_zpsa3e730ef.jpg

second piece

2014-10-19-macro2_zpsf208b605.jpg

She needs a new act, she's can't just keep moving.

Yep - especially now that's she half covering the watermelons.. :angry:

In other news, I've pulled some of the redundant items (like the two parts of mushroom that's split into three) and pieces of the big 'Paly Pile' and moved them into the frag tank. I should have some items to trade soon.

Nitrates have been kinda high, so I did two back-to-back water changes - 2g and an hour later, another 2g. You can see the difference in the tests

F97DCB52-BFB0-445A-94B0-AF1F662E5FB4_zps

While the waterline was low I glued some more GSP to the back wall. I added five lower pieces and another between the two previous ones. I tried to get them in there low, since they grow upwards.

I also trimmed 4 pieces of Dragon's Breath Macro an moved it into the frag tank. I put each one a further distance from the powerhead to see which it likes better. You can barely see what I pulled out of the tank. Pretty soon I'll have some nice pieces to trade..

The Calerpa Fern I added is growing so fast that I can see the difference after just a few hours..

2014-10-26GSP_zps70074b40.jpg

I finally found a great deal on a macro lens.. It's a Tamron SP AF Di 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro. I have it on an older CanonRebel XTi. After a long hunt on eBay, I got it for about $250 - about half the price of a new one. I've figured out that this lens is a lot better than my picture taking skills..lol. I'm going to need a decent tripod for my aquarium photos - although I did get a few - more by luck than anything else.

IMG_6582_zpse0ab76da.jpg...

IMG_6573_zps577a5f8d.jpg

IMG_6569_zps069c7e96.jpg

IMG_6567_zpsdb61725b.jpg

Nice shot of the brittle star- yes if your shooting macro a tripod will help!

That brittle star is adorable. I look forward to the tripod-mounted shot of it too. ;)

Thanks - This is the first time I've seen more than a ray or two sticking out the rocks. This one has decided he wants to relocate to the overflow. I've pulled him out at least twice in the last few days.

I like the banded look. I've got a large one in my 29 gallon and mostly just see one of its rays feeling around at feeding time. One of the things I like is their speed. I never imagined a sea star could move so fast..

I'll definitely try to get more pics..

Looks like the fern is growing well, but my damsel doesn't like it blocking one of his entrances. He's been pecking and pulling on it the last few days. I'm going to try to get a video of that..

D3D42CE2-8B70-4928-BEF8-778DC267F80F_zps

loving the macro fotos!

Thanks - I'll be working on my technique for a while. Someone once told me..

"If you want to be good at something worth doing - get ready to be really bad at it for a while"

Come to Ohio and shoot my tanks please! ;)

If work ever takes me there, I'll have to visit..

More pics..

Looks hungry, huh?

2014-11-03snail_zps66b19ef2.jpg

Not perfect, but getting better.

2014-11-03kenya_zpsbf5b43d0.jpg

I'll definitely try to get more pics..

DBCE05BD-4748-414E-99B3-764622BA4099_zps

Getting better with the macro.. Used focus stacking from 13 photos. I manually changed the focus from the front to back across each photo. It does require you to have the entire area in each frame, or you drop some areas. This was my first real attempt at this - it should get better with practice.

2014-11-09-034350ZSDMap_zpsb6c2e59a.jpg

Looks like the fern is growing well, but my damsel doesn't like it blocking one of his entrances. He's been pecking and pulling on it the last few days. I'm going to try to get a video of that..

D3D42CE2-8B70-4928-BEF8-778DC267F80F_zps

Here's today's picture (definitely growing)

45F5C542-E73C-401E-838B-EED585E4259D_zps

Beautiful tank! Love the timelaps videos, and those macro shots! Your photography improves significantly each time :) keep it up! *following*

Archived