inTank Media Baskets

Frank's Nuvo 8 - One year old..

frankdr

I'm sure they *love* me annoying them to get them to close so i can watch them open up again.

As much they love you as much as they love your damsel for all his drive bys as well! ;)

I love the time lapses!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, he likes to make the tank look like a snow globe. He's always kicking sand out of the holes he's dug. Good thing the rocks go all the way down to the glass bottom..

Hi!

I like meeting the local NR peeps! I am in Euless (mid-cities)

If ya ever want some macro algaes or some frags let me know! :)

I have just started getting more into RFA's 7 in total....I am addicted. :mellow:

Did ya ever sell the Kessil?

Thanks for checking in...

I'm over in the North Fort Worth area (Keller/Haslet) I go through your part of town when I see clients in Irving/Las Colinas. Do you know any other NR people in the area?

I saw some of your for-sale livestock a little too late.. Definitely interested in adding some macro and possibly some frags soon. And if you can work the FRA deal you mentioned in your other thread, some more of those too.. Right now, only my Nuvo has RFA's but i'm looking to add some to my JBJ 28G (which I should put up a thread for on here..)

I added some macros when ReefCleaners had their sale a few weeks back. Love the codium, and Flame John sent me, but the Red Gracilaria turned into snail food. It was gone in two days..lol

I got a few offers on the Kessil, but none that was worth taking. I'll probably keep it as a backup. I'm thinking about doing a lighting upgrade on my 28 and then 'hand down' the AI Nano I have on it now for my Nuvo 8. Right now I have two of the stock IM 14k lights on 4 timers and would like to do something better. Thinking about the Kessil A360W on the larger tank - so many options..

After the lights went out and the palys closed up, I noticed 3 small pieces of bubble algae hiding under them. Carefully orked them loose and removed them. Hopefully just an isolated case..

The watermelon Zoa frag hasn't been opening very much, so I replaced my stock light with a Kessil A150W Sky Blue light to see if a little more PAR will fix things up. The 10k is obviously different looking than the 14k I had before, but I'm not a big fan of the overly blue look,

Well, the new occupant has disappeared.. She's apparently gotten under a rock that has an open space below the sand line. I think I can see a bit of her foot stuck out one of the edges. My damsel is not going to be happy with his 'space invader' lol

Update:

Looks like she's found her spot - right in the middle of my damsel's under rock home...

I was admiring my mushroom frag that is growing nicely. Even took a pic..

IMG_9182_zps6c3a7b42.jpeg

Well - just a little while ago - I take a peek in the tank and see this stuff going on - The Kenya that's on the same plug is getting zapped..

mush2_zps4957a7c4.jpg

Should I take the Kenya off the plug and relocate it? There are a couple on palys on the same plug - so maybe better to move the mushroom?

UPDATE:

I broke the plug into two pieces and put the mushroom in the back left corner and the Kenya Tree in the front left.

• 2 weeks later...

My new RFA (yellow one) has emerged on the complete opposite side of the rocks (it went under them through the damsel's lair) It spit out some waste and started eating today (happy) I can't capture it with my phone's camera, but the yellow has an incredible glow under the actinics.

2014-07-21newnem_zps9d2ca4dc.jpg

The bigger RFA (naming him Audrey III ) can stretch out and is half the height of the rock pile. This one is eating extremely well and keeps getting bigger.

Poor little Lacey has worked her way back into the light but is so tiny. I litterally had to push a piece of shrimp in her mouth and stand watch to keep worms and my damsel from stealing her food. Hopefully the sunny location and feeding (I couldn't reach her previous spot to feed her) will help her get back to normal

2014-07-21-lacy_zps2f7547c8.jpg

Here's a FTS I took today

2014-07-21-fts_zpscf0e5101.jpg

Little Lacy wasn't doing so well (not staying attached etc.) - so I put her in a shot glass for protection and moved her over to my bigger tank. I tried feeding - but she wouldn't take anything. It had been almost two weeks that she was going downhill. After three days in the other tank, I pulled her out for a closer look, and she had that 'dying' smell, so I knew it wasn't going to get better. By the end she was tiny, not even a 1/2" in size

She was my first RFA, but she's survived by 7 more that have come along since.

Sorry to hear that you lost Lacy. She was a neat little nem. :(

I do like the new lemony nem that you got though.

Hmm.. I think you just named him for me..

Time for some updates..

Big news - Picked up an AI Nano. This is the same light I use on my 28G and I really like it. I'm only running at a peak of 15% to start. The light is way overkill at higher levels, but I'll slowly ramp it up a little if everything inside is happy with it.

My new RFA 'Lemon' seems to be happy. She's feeding well and the clear tentacles are starting to get a little brown tinge to them, especially the ones exposed to the most light. I haven't figured if the translucent quality is a sign of health or not - but so far she's pretty happy.

Any updates? Sad you lost Lacy :( goes to show how individual they can be. Love how different your white nems are! Those translucent tentacles on the new one are awesome.

I've been busy playing with my 28G (which I need to get a thread up for) The WP10 is now hooked to my Apex and it lets you do things the built in controller never could - like day, dawn/dusk and night profiles with different types of waves & flow.

But - back to this tank. Here's the latest ..

New FTS

• Moved some dragon's breath up top
  • New yellow polyp frag, GSP and mushroom frags on the right

2014-08-10_zps246f1e39.jpg

Tell me that RFA on top isn't growing like crazy :)

'Lemon' is starting to get some (brown) color in her tentacles. There was a discussion at my LFS if the clear was a sign of not being healthy (like the algae has left)

8-10-2014yellowRFA_zps77a10e8a.jpg

I use the 'feeding response' method to get an idea how they are doing. My larger one actually seems to anticipate food touching him and literally 'reaches' out to grab it. Once It has some mysis, it wraps it up super tight and has it in it's mouth in a flash.

One of my other additions was a small Zoa colony. It had been closed up, but two things helped bring it around

1. More light with the new AI Nano

2. I caught some nudis picking around and picked them out

Even more of the polyps have opened since the picture

8-10-2014zoas_zpse7907d4d.jpg

Everything is doing well this week. I tried some pics with my DSLR, even though I don't have a great macro lens, I gave it a try. The picture in lots of ways look better than my iPhone shots.

My hermit was facing the other way, but got a shot of him near the zoas (which are opening more every day)

IMG_6532_cr_zpsd97f956f.jpg

A shot of Mr. Mushroom

IMG_6534_crp_zps93d87b30.jpg

My little Kenya Tree

IMG_6530_zps0dbfd318.jpg

And a picture of the 'kids' who almost never play on the glass

stars_cr_zps6fd849a2.jpg

As for stocking - I moved some more GSP from the 28 to here, and moved a paly from from the 8 to the 28. I also added a micro serpent star to this tank. I've got dozens of these in my 28 and they get into the tiniest crevices to clean up.

I also get by 28 build thread up.. See my sig for the link

I measured the big RFA and he's 5" in diameter. I might have to donate him to someone with a larger tank. I think even my 28G may be too small..

He's been doing some 'yawning' where he scrunches up and then opens back up again. The whole things takes a minute or two at most. Very quick. Does this 2 or 3 times a day that I see - probably more often.

Also noticed that Lemon's tentacles are all getting browner and the yellow color is getting deeper. I'm thinking the clear tentacles aren't a healthy thing. I found her at a Petco in a tank without much light, and I'm pretty sure she didn't get the feeding and care she's getting now.

I was fragging some GSP in my 28G and got the wild idea to glue some pieces to the back wall of this tank to see if I can get a GSP wall going.. I really enjoy the 'waving grass' look. Let's see how it goes..

• 3 weeks later...

Some big changes. in 24 hrs, my lemon RFA moved all the way across the tank. She was on the bottom left, and now she's on the right.

In the new position, she's spread open and is *way* bigger than i thought she was

2014-09-06nems_zpsb61c1e1a.jpg

The large rock at the drop tipped forward also. I had to rescue some yellow polyps from under the rock, but if this is where the rock wants to be - probably better to leave it there..

I'm blaming my Damsel for this. He's always digging...

hi! i am just cycling an 8g cadlights and

the reason i'm upgrading from my 3g pico

other than getting more space, is that i'd

love to get a rock flower anemone for it one

day. so i've really enjoyed your fotos and videos

and chronicling this tank.

thank you so much for sharing!

• 1 month later...

Not much has been happening - except the Kenya Tree is now half the height of the tank..

...and Lemon decided to move from her location on the right side of the tank to the back of the rocks facing the wall - snuggling up to her tankmate. The two of them seem to be 'elbowing' for room - open and closing and pushing on each other.

2014-10-11nems_zps92cea243.jpg

Archived