SaltCritters.com

Frank's Nuvo 8 - One year old..

frankdr

I've been playing with my new time lapse video toys, so I thought I'd catch my nems 'waking up'

I'm considering adding some RFA's to my JBJ 28 - might happen today.. I need to put up a thread for that tank sometime..

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your little lacy one sure isn't a morning person compared to your zebra stripe. He definitely needs his coffee to wake up in the morning. Not that there is anything wrong with that... :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking over earlier pictures and my new RFA is growing like crazy. He's a monster, and he is overlapping half of the smaller one. Will it be a problem if make sure the smaller one stays fed? Will it move if it's not happy?

Here are before and after..

Before

nem2-5-13-2014_zps72823b7f.jpg

and after

6-7-2014_zps5d6589c0.jpg

Happy nems!

It won't be a problem for the smaller one. In fact I have one that likes to stay semi-under another one. If it decides it doesn't like it, it will move. I'd still occasionally target feed the smaller one, it will help it grow.

I was worried about the little guy not eating the last 2 days until I saw him expelling a bunch of waste today. I bet he'll be back to hungry tomorrow..

Took a pretty bad FTS just now

crp2-fts6-7-2014_zps37e60a01.jpg

and a closeup of some nice Macro Algae from ReefCleaners. Really good stuff at a great price

macro-6-7-2014_zps1da6f0b3.jpg

I like the green stuff. I know ReefCleaners just had a nice macro sale; I wish I had the space to pick some up cause it looks nice!

I'm not familiar with the green stuff though, what is it?

The green macro is Codium. It's fuzzy and spongy feeling when you work with it. I had to a link to the reefcleaner site, but if they don't have it in stock, the link doesn't work, but I found another site with a description.

I picked it up when they had their 20% off sale - got about 5 different kinds that went into both tanks.

http://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebookcodium.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my little RFA ("Lacy") decided it didn't like be covered up and went for a walk. She was up under the rocks where it was very difficult to see her. Wife called me up and said "That big anemone ate the little one !!" I assured her it didn't, and a day later it popped up a few inches over. Since this picture yesterday, she's moved to the top right corner that you see in the picture. The tank is dark now - but I'll snap a picture in the morning..

While checking things out, I noticed the palys that were on their own rock have reached over and attached to the main rock and will probably cover it before too long. I know they're 'junk' palys but seeing your tank grow is satisfying anyways

6-17-2014_zps4c9e1038.jpg

I picked up this little frag in Bellevue WA on a business trip. I had to talk my way through security, but they let me carry it on. I stumbled upon a LFS there that had $10 frags. The frag is hanging out in my 28G for now. I'll glue it in place when I do my next WC

6-17-2014zoa_zps331ed8d7.jpg

I have wondered how carrying on frags on flights would go... I'm going down to Florida in a few months for a wedding and may just need to pick something up while I'm down there. I suppose you need to make sure they are in water less than 3 oz?

In my case, I had a little bit more than that. There was a brief discussion between two agents about how much liquid was allowed, and they would have been totally within their rights to deny allowing them through. But in the end they let me through with it.

I could have taken some of the water out and they would have been fine. Many species of coral spend time out of the water during low tides, so even a little bit of water is probably fine.

I took the watermellon zoas frag and moved it to this tank. I was doing my water change and some glass cleaning and while I had the water level below the top of the rocks, I decided it was a good time to glue it in. Let's hope they like the new location..

c2079c3a-3c16-4e64-a8e7-a95da72e6cde_zps

I saw my little RFA (Lacy) move back down the rock again from the top to the pile to up underneath. I caught the movement on video - very interesting to see how it's body moves itself along. It's going to take most of the night to get the video on YouTube, but I'll share a link to it once it's up there..

I have wondered how carrying on frags on flights would go... I'm going down to Florida in a few months for a wedding and may just need to pick something up while I'm down there. I suppose you need to make sure they are in water less than 3 oz?

Haven't had any problems with small frags and minimal water.

After my little RFA relocated under a rock ledge, she's been closed up all day like this - at what point do you start to worry about them not eating or opening up?

6-26-2014lacy_zps05e39334.jpg

Also - I added a little GSP frag from my 28G on the far side of the tank - we'll see if it likes being in here..

6-26-2014-gsp_zpsbaad3c55.jpg

Love the time lapse video of Lacy walking! I've never been able to appreciate how they undulate like that when they move when watching it in real time.

I wouldn't be worried about Lacy just yet. She's a teenager, give her a couple of days to go through an emo phase. ;)

After the lights went out, I saw her drop her head down, which didn't look too good. I decided to do a video to see if she would move, and sure enough, in time lapse you could see the body was moving up and down.

And when I woke up this morning, she was wide awake and open (and walking down the rocks..). Perhaps she had to get 'somethng out' of her system :)

We'll see if she eats later today..

And now the other one is headed off to the back of the tank. I think they both want to try out new places..

Love the time lapse video of Lacy walking! I've never been able to appreciate how they undulate like that when they move when watching it in real time.

I wouldn't be worried about Lacy just yet. She's a teenager, give her a couple of days to go through an emo phase. ;)

Yes, it's amazing what you pick up when watching your tank over time. You a see starfish moving about, snails cruising around and such.

I actually went over to a large colony of palys and tapped each of them to get them to close up so I could film them opening back up..lol

I'm thinking it would be cool to do a time lapse over days or weeks to watch corals grow and propagate, but that would require a different camera setup.But for now, I'm enjoying watching my RFAs do their thing..

Glad to report that Lacy is feeding again (finally) I pretty much had to stick the food on her, but she ate the Mysis shrimp I offered her and she's looking happier this morning

Now my big RFA has moved up to the top of the rocks. Lacy is closed up in the very bottom right. She's open a few hours a day.

Looks like my Damsel got into the pictures too..

6-29-2014fts_zps5d205e6e.jpg

Caught a video of "Mr. Big' waking up this morning..

Threw another frag in the tank - Some Kenya tree and a a 'junk' Mushroom and Paly

7-2-2014-kenyafrag2_zps914b3217.jpg

Here's (yet another) video. This one is me wanting to watch the big pile of palys open in front of the camera.

I'm sure they *love* me annoying them to get them to close so i can watch them open up again.

What can I say - I'm easily entertained...

Archived