Coral Vue Hydros

Hippo tang & itch

BlueSander

Hi,

So I bought my hippo tank 1 month ago from a local pet store. 3 days after, I got a pair of bicolor angle & foxface from Petco at a very attractive price. Anyhow, I found that the bicolor has itch. As of today, the bicolor angle is living healthy with 2 of my old clown fishes in my main tank. The hippo got itch very badly and he was isolated in the hospital tank with the foxface. I have been treating the water with copper & the level is around 1.5ppm. for the 2 weeks. The hippo is doing fine now, however, it doesn't look like its skin is back to normal. There are still bumps and little white spots & discolored spots. What should I do now? Will the fish have scars for life?

PS: I just put the foxface in the hospital tank so the hippo can have a friend. The foxface seems to be immuned from this itchy stuffs.

A foxface and a hippo in a 6 gallon tank? :omgomgomg:

Hi, So I bought my hippo tank 1 month ago from a local pet store. 3 days after, I got a pair of bicolor angle & foxface from Petco at a very attractive price. Anyhow, I found that the bicolor has itch. As of today, the bicolor angle is living healthy with 2 of my old clown fishes in my main tank. The hippo got itch very badly and he was isolated in the hospital tank with the foxface. I have been treating the water with copper & the level is around 1.5ppm. for the 2 weeks. The hippo is doing fine now, however, it doesn't look like its skin is back to normal. There are still bumps and little white spots & discolored spots. What should I do now? Will the fish have scars for life? PS: I just put the foxface in the hospital tank so the hippo can have a friend. The foxface seems to be immuned from this itchy stuffs.
Scars for life? It's life will be very short living in a 6 gallon tank or a 34 gallon tank.

A foxface and a hippo in a 6 gallon tank? : omgomgomg:

hippo and a fox face in a 36 dt omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

TANGPOLICEj_2.jpg

should have downsized that just a little lol

My hippo is less than 2 inches in length. The foxface is about 3. Im sure 34g is okay for now. By end of this year, once the new place is finished, they will be happy in a new bigger place.

I do not like the tang police. so if you are a tang police, please go away.

as for Bluesand: Here is my comments to you. In order to keep tang, you would need a bigger tank as these fish needs lots of room to swim. People have a hard time keeping tang alive in even a 3 ft long tank. So I think your 34g is way too small for them.

And just so you know, tang are always vulnerable to itch (or ick) than most other fish due to scaleless.

From my past experience, I do not think I will ever buy any tang for tank that are less than 4 ft long (not tall).

good luck

I'm curious how you are keeping the ammonia levels at anything less then toxic in a 6 gallon tank? Are you feeding them at all?

I'd suggest you look for a cheap fishroom quality tank for them until your big tank is ready, you could also use it as a qt tank in the future. As for the ich 2 weeks is not long enough, but I'd be much more concerned with them dying of ammonia poisining then ich.

Wow you're a total asshole OP

It's like having an extra small dog kennel you want to put to use, and you go out shopping for Dobermans.

My hippo is less than 2 inches in length. The foxface is about 3. Im sure 34g is okay for now. By end of this year, once the new place is finished, they will be happy in a new bigger place.

okay ill brake it down, as i do like to joke i do not mean to be a #### but i like teaching people

most likely the tang got ich due to being in a small tank, why you say? simple answer, when a fish is stressed out the slime coat used to protect against ich goes away thus attracting ich. why stressed out? simple answer it is NOT okay to place a small one in a smaller tank and move him to a bigger tank. blue hippos depend on lots of swimming room to help digest food, if the swimming room is not there then it can stress him out for many different reasons.

DID YOU GUYS READ???? My 6g is the HOSPITAL tank so the nano hippo tang can get over its sickness. I bought it 3 weeks ago as a "nano hippo tang". It's as small as any normal cheap clown fish you will get in store right now!

I do not like the tang police. so if you are a tang police, please go away.

as for Bluesand: Here is my comments to you. In order to keep tang, you would need a bigger tank as these fish needs lots of room to swim. People have a hard time keeping tang alive in even a 3 ft long tank. So I think your 34g is way too small for them.

And just so you know, tang are always vulnerable to itch (or ick) than most other fish due to scaleless.

From my past experience, I do not think I will ever buy any tang for tank that are less than 4 ft long (not tall).

good luck

Thanks for the suggestion. I will wait out a bit more then. I thought he was going to die but last 5-7 days he has been very active. He eats well but his outside doesn't look normal yet. I'm afraid the itch could be gone but will leave permanent scars on him.

Also, I test my water twice a week myself & water sample at the local fish store. Everything is great! And here is for the record, for the past few years in this hobby, only 1 fish died on me and it was because the freaken Condy ate it. This is my first encouter to any aquarium sickness as well. To majority of the people on this forum, I think that show enough. I don't like it when people giving random comments about how I should take care of my pets! If you feel like you can help, please do! if not, please move along.

DID YOU GUYS READ???? My 6g is the HOSPITAL tank so the nano hippo tang can get over its sickness. I bought it 3 weeks ago as a "nano hippo tang". It's as small as any normal cheap clown fish you will get in store right now!

Thanks for the suggestion. I will wait out a bit more then. I thought he was going to die but last 5-7 days he has been very active. He eats well but his outside doesn't look normal yet. I'm afraid the itch could be gone but will leave permanent scars on him.

Also, I test my water twice a week myself & water sample at the local fish store. Everything is great! And here is for the record, for the past few years in this hobby, only 1 fish died on me and it was because the freaken Condy ate it. This is my first encouter to any aquarium sickness as well. To majority of the people on this forum, I think that show enough. I don't like it when people giving random comments about how I should take care of my pets! If you feel like you can help, please do! if not, please move along.

DO YOU NOT LISTEN??? i do not care if it's one inch it needs room to swim to digest food, are you feeding it? i hope so or it will die recovering. if you are feeding it it needs to digest. it needs to swim in order to digest. you are doing nothing but farther stressing it out. if anything it's sure is not happy. all you are doing is stressing it farther. let me put you in a closet (your recovery room) for a week and see how you like it..

Yep I read your post. A 6 gallon hospital tank isn't going to help a tang get over sickness. It's to damn small of a hospital tank.

Unfortunately, even if trying to save it, the stress of going from a 34 to a 6 with another fish in there alone can be more stressing than any original issue, thus keeping the ich going- I believe that's the biggest point they're trying to make so you need a much larger QT tank/hospital tank. And you have to keep feeding while they are sick. Sorry to hear your fish are sick, there's been a great deal of sickness and death in these threads lately and its sad.

Petco and Petsmart will probably have $1 per gallon sale before long for Easter so at least you can buy a larger hospital tank then. Minimum would be more like a 10g per fish.

I don't think you understand. Size has nothing to do with the fish. Some fish need more room to move. Clown fish generally stay in a small area and are much less active than a tang. A 2 inch tang is going to need a lot more room than a 2 inch clown fish.

6g for a hospital tank is scary. @.o I use a 29g min for Tangs.

surprised no one mentioned that he still has fish in his main display that are NOT treated yet, so ich remains in his display. Even if the Hippo and Foxface survives QT, they will get ich once transferred back to DT....or did I not read OP right??

surprised no one mentioned that he still has fish in his main display that are NOT treated yet, so ich remains in his display. Even if the Hippo and Foxface survives QT, they will get ich once transferred back to DT....or did I not read OP right??

Yea, I think I misread and thought QT rather than hospital. I am going to delete my post.

Good luck OP. IMO the hospital tank it too small. Adding a friend might have seemed like a good idea but not in a tank that small and not one being treated.

Archived