Top Shelf Aquatics

First Reef Aquarium 10 gallon

anizato

OK Everybody.

A much needed update is at hand. Sorry for the delay but after the algae sprout and until it ate itself away with WCs and light feeding. there hasn't been too much action going on, until NOW!

I got the Kessil 360WE for another tank I am cycling but won't be needing the light for another 2 months so I put it on this 10 Gallon for now and this is what it looks like!

I think it gives the rock a much more natural look. The colors pop and I can immediately see a response from the Zoas. They are taking over the main rock and it is going to look awesome. If you notice ON PAGE 4, these Zoas looked pretty bad.

Also, there was an aiptasia looking thing that retracted when I approached it with the long tweezers. so I decided to put coral glue on top of it in hopes of killing it. I can always get a couple of berghia nudis to finish it off.

It is difficult to see in the pic but amongst all the blueness (stupid cameras) of the rocks, you can see some translucent pillow looking figures, those are soon to be Zoa heads!

The newest addition, Dragon Eye Zoas.

and of course ... Albino and Negrita (:

• 1 month later...

NOOOOOOOOOO!

is there anybody out there?

I need help. My landlady just called me yesterday to tell me she is selling the lot and we must leave by October 1st. What s znucks is that I just set up my 50gal.

How do I transfer my fish to my new home when I move? Any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks

• Like 1
Angel<3Nanos

NOOOOOOOOOO!

is there anybody out there?

I need help. My landlady just called me yesterday to tell me she is selling the lot and we must leave by October 1st. What s znucks is that I just set up my 50gal.

How do I transfer my fish to my new home when I move? Any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks

Oh that sucks man!

To transfer them just grab a bucket with tank water and put them in there.

Whenever I move I try to make some time for my tank only. That way I can tear it down, move it and install it back again. It usually takes me a day as I have to rewire and redo my scape. So make sure you have a day free to do it.

• Like 1

Thanks Angel,

My question to that would be, if I only have one tank, having my animals in a bucket and the rocks in another, when I set it back up, do I need to cycle the tank for a bit or add some kind of nitrifying bacteria, or it should be fine just to put up and insert the fish into the system? Must the fish be acclimated again? How long should I run the system before adding them from the bucket water?

Would it work if I leave the 10g tank with half water and transfer it and refill it with new water and just add the fish again?

Thanks!

• Like 1
Angel<3Nanos

Thanks Angel,

My question to that would be, if I only have one tank, having my animals in a bucket and the rocks in another, when I set it back up, do I need to cycle the tank for a bit or add some kind of nitrifying bacteria, or it should be fine just to put up and insert the fish into the system? Must the fish be acclimated again? How long should I run the system before adding them from the bucket water?

Would it work if I leave the 10g tank with half water and transfer it and refill it with new water and just add the fish again?

Thanks!

Unless you change a ton of water in your tank when you move, you will need to acclimate your fish again.

The way I do it is I grab some 5gal buckets. Fill 2 with tank water and add rocks in one and fish and coral in another.

Next I grab another bucket or 2 and drain some more tank water in them. Make sure they have lids so you wont spill.

I usually leave enough water to cover the sand and I immediately transport everything to the other house. The fish and coral should be good for a couple of minutes while you drive to the new place.

Once there I grab an extra heater and an air pump and add it to the bucket where the fish are at.

Meanwhile, set your stand and tank where you want them and work on your wires.

Once everything is good add your rock and water, (not the fish and coral yet).

Let the water heat up to normal temperature. Then add your fish. Make sure temperatures match on the bucket and tank.

Once in there add extra water in your tank since you'll loose a gallon or two during the move.

After that test for ammonia, ph, nitrates amd phosphates.

You can always re-acclimate your fish again if you are feeling unsure about the process. It doesn't hurt.

• 1 month later...

SUCCESS!

The move went smoothly and swiftly. It took less than 2 hours to get the tank from the old house the new house. It was very easy ride.

I emptied the filters, placed them in a box with the heater and the pump. I emptied out 80% of the water. My biggest Zoa colony was exposed to air, no choice ..I was alone. I placed the Kessil in a backpack along with the extension chords and the fuge LED and timer. The tank was heavy as FCKU!!! Soon after a very slow 25 minute cab ride and a flight of stairs the tank was at its final destination.

I had 65 gallons of saltwater ready because I was also making water for the larger 50g tank.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

Sorry it has been a while since I have posted any updates or anything of this setup. It is still up and running, but life has been a little hectic with the new house, new tank, promotion, etc...

As I said, she is still up and running. She still houses the same 2 O.Clownfish we got, whom were about a month old, and are now twice the size and it is difficult to tell which will be the female, since they are both very alpha-like. They don't tend to bother each other much, although when they were younger, the larger one would bite the shit out of the smaller one's face, so now he has some scars on the white portion of his face. He looks cool though, like a warrior! LOL

There has been an Aiptasia infestation that I haven't been able to tend to, but the wife wants the 10gallon down as soon as possible, but it will be a while. I still have to acclimate several other fish into the 50gallon before I insert these 2 Clowns, since they will be the most aggressive out of the whole bunch. I will be adding a Peppermint shrimp or two in order to deal with the pest. Hopefully they rid it in time!

post-83895-0-23323600-1418069966_thumb.jpg

post-83895-0-35420600-1418069968_thumb.jpg

post-83895-0-40531100-1418069971_thumb.jpg

post-83895-0-02311400-1418069974_thumb.jpg

post-83895-0-81451600-1418069976_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

At first I thought, I will set up 50 gallon tank, but my wife agree with 10 gallon tank. So finally I set up a 10 gallon aquarium, which I bought https://fishboxpro.com/best-fish-tank/10-gallon-fish-tank from here, but the most important is water, now it is very unclean. I added here a fluval canister filter, instead of my tank is not looking fresh. I really don't know what is going wrong with me. 

However, I like colorful fishes and here I recently add angel fish, cichild, fancy goldfish, tetra, coral, some aquarium decorations. Normally my tank looks beautiful, but not fresh.