Pod Your Reef

clabern's Nuvo 8 Fresh Start

clabern

Hey Guys - I just started up my IM Nuvo 8 a few weeks ago after moving. Wanted to get a thread going for some insight from you all...

Ggbo476.jpg

Here's my current setup:

Tank: IM Nuvo 8

Lighting: Stock 8W Skkye (upgrade pending)

Return Pump: MJ900

Flow: IM Spin-Stream

Sand: CaribSea Special Grade

Rock: Dry Reefsaver

Filtration: inTank Media Basket (Floss, Purigen, Chemi-Pure Elite in that order)

I also have two little bags of Seachem Matrix Bio-Media in the second column.

ATO: JBJ ATO with Toms Aqualifter

Heater: ViaAqua 50W

Water: RO/DI + Reef Crystals

Livestock (so far):

3 Snails

3 Red-Legged Hermits

1 Black Clown

Zoa Frag (not sure what there "name" is)

PksuyBy.jpg

4oK7x5q.jpg

I want to upgrade the lights whenever I have the funds. I'm eyeing the Nano Box Tide really hard, just gotta figure out of I can afford it. Thinking of getting a cheaper Par30/38 in the mean time.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any issues with the flow in the media basket? With the MJ900 (and Spinstream) my media basket is overflowing and a bit of detritus is not getting caught. This concerns me since I've got the Matric bio-media in the second chamber and I don't want it to get filthy and turn into a nitrate factory (even though I hate that phrase). I really don't want to add any pumps in the display area, so I wanna stick with the MJ900 for flow. I'm going to mess around with the media basket and chemical media tonight to see if I can get it setup better for more flow.

I'm also thinking about doing a little cheato fuge in the second chamber. Doing so, I'd have to move the matrix bio-media. I'm thinking about just putting one of the little bags in the return chamber, and maybe just throwing the other bag's contents under the sand in the rear of the display area. I really like the matrix so far, it's VERY porous and larger pieces of rubble. Since I don't have all that much LR, I feel more comfortable with the added area the Matrix gives for bacteria to grow.

So - that's it for now. I'll be updating as things change/grow. Feel free to shoot me your recommendations and advice!

Bonus Pic of my new desk area (still in progress):

KnZr1YY.jpg

Nice tank, Bad ass gaming rig too,(assuming that is what it is, sure looks like it),hehe.

Heh - thanks. Yea - it functions as a gaming area as well, though these days I don't have as much time to slay internet dragons... sigh.

natalia_la_loca

I'm wondering if anyone else has any issues with the flow in the media basket? With the MJ900 (and Spinstream) my media basket is overflowing and a bit of detritus is not getting caught. This concerns me since I've got the Matric bio-media in the second chamber and I don't want it to get filthy and turn into a nitrate factory (even though I hate that phrase). I really don't want to add any pumps in the display area, so I wanna stick with the MJ900 for flow. I'm going to mess around with the media basket and chemical media tonight to see if I can get it setup better for more flow.

I had the same issue with my Nuvo 8. What I did was buy a big sheet of filter floss and cut a piece that fits the entire intake area above the media basket so that water and detritus can't get around it. The floss is cheap enough that I can take it out and replace it each week.

Cool... nice desk too, where'd you get it?

I built it! :D (Super easy and incredibly sturdy, and can be pretty cheap. Just some plywood, I went with the nicer stuff, and had Lowe's do most of the cuts for me)

I had the same issue with my Nuvo 8. What I did was buy a big sheet of filter floss and cut a piece that fits the entire intake area above the media basket so that water and detritus can't get around it. The floss is cheap enough that I can take it out and replace it each week.

Heh - I did that back when I had made my own filter caddy. It works out well... until it clogs after a few days and you're away and you come home to water all over the floor from it overflowing, and causing the ATO to keep dumping more fresh water in your tank. I'm going to work with it this week/end to see what I can come up with. Although I usually get to check on everything daily, I don't want a repeat of the overflow (and subsequent huge salinity drop).

natalia_la_loca

Heh - I did that back when I had made my own filter caddy. It works out well... until it clogs after a few days and you're away and you come home to water all over the floor from it overflowing, and causing the ATO to keep dumping more fresh water in your tank. I'm going to work with it this week/end to see what I can come up with. Although I usually get to check on everything daily, I don't want a repeat of the overflow (and subsequent huge salinity drop).

Good point ;) It worked for me because my tank is very minimal in terms of bioload and detritus, and I don't use an ATO.

Now you just need a wireless mouse :) (at least I think that is the 1 random cord hanging from the desk?)

While I do have a wired mouse (for gaming, I don't trust wireless) that was actually my headset cord. I've since moved it's connection to back of the computer and have a nice little stand for it when it's not in use. Maybe I'll post a better picture tonight when I get a chance. Still gotta find some awesome aquatic and gaming art for the wall (weird combo, but two of my hobbies).

Still gotta find some awesome aquatic and gaming art for the wall (weird combo, but two of my hobbies).

Not weird! Really. Cause if it is... :blush:

My forum name is actually the name I've used in MMORPGs for over 10 years. It just feels like my online name at this point.

I've noticed I've been doing a lot less dragon slaying since I've had the tank set up. Spending so much time staring at/futzing with the tank!

Archived