inTank Media Baskets

Switched from tank to new and now have diatoms?

Jeradmccarty

Jeradmccarty

Ok so I switched tanks a few weeks back and everything is A OK except for one thing. When I switched the tanks I ended up using all brand new live sand, I have plenty of live rock which I thought on my own but also with a little help from nano reef.com the consensus was that everything would be fine with using new live sand because I had enough live rock to help with not experiencing a cycle, well I'm not getting high nitrates nitrites or phosphates at all because I have been testing every other day and all of my coral and livestock are perfectly fine and just as happy as they were in the other tank but I am getting HELLA diatoms on my sand bed. Not on the glass and not on the rock just the sand bed. Is this something that should clear up on its own or did I make a fatal flaw in the tank switch? Please any help or suggestions negative or positive will help.

Jeradmccarty
It'll clear once the excess sillicates are used up.

Ok yeah I run phosban in a phosban reactor so I thought that all the silicates and phosphates would be sucked up but I guess that there are silicates in the sand when you buy it coming from the bag

Jeradmccarty
Was there a change in lighting also like duration or increased intensity? That can also cause it.

Everything is the same except for that I did not use the sand I had in my old tank and I just went with new live sand, like sugardaddy1979 said it's probably just because the new live sand had silicates in it and they just need to be used up because I'm not putting any silicates into it and they will go away soon enough and then no more diatoms

Archived