Cultivated Reef

Oh crap...PM?

malawian

So this is a less than one day development. Mantle was not like this even this morning. Its actually closed up because of fish swimming over it (still responds very well to shadows). It isnt opening up quite like it was but its also not this closed up continuously.

Not a great pic but I think you can see what I mean on the part of the mantle further away from the camera.

Pinched mantle? Cant tell from the terrible pic?

post-62384-0-39044100-1394422464_thumb.jpg

maybe something is irrating it since its on the sand. place it on a rock off the sand to see.

its a squamosa, i was told they were supposed to be on the sand. is that incorrect?

Squamosa will do just fine in the sand. Did you check your water chemistry? Did you check for Pyramids? How long have you had the clam and how old is the tank? Have any Angel fish in the tank?

Squamosa will do just fine in the sand.

Thats what I thought, any recommendations on how to keep it from falling over for example (when it sometimes closes quickly to expel something or w/e)?

Did you check your water chemistry?

At last check

NO3 - 0

PO4 - .04 ppm

pH- 8.4

Ca- 480

kH-9.9

NO3 and PO4 are from last night. Other measurements are from a few days ago and I will check them momentarily.

Did you check for Pyramids?

I did not too long ago, I will check again. It attached its foot to a random shell that was buried in the sand which makes looking at the foot difficult but I will try.

How long have you had the clam and how old is the tank?

Clam has been here just over 2 weeks and tank is roughly 2 yrs old.

Have any Angel fish in the tank?

Yes but I have been keeping a close eye on them and they do not seem interested in the clam. I try to keep Nori or other things around that they can nibble on if they feel so inclined and they seem far more interested in that than in the clam.

The mantle does look ruffled to me. PM does not just set in over night though, perhaps you did not notice the tell tale signs. There seems to be a new school of thought on treatment and that is running some new charcoal, never tried it. Fresh water bath matched to pH and temp was the method I use to use. In my experience once the clam is staying closed it's too late to treat. Looks like it was a beautiful blue Squamosa, sure hope the clam turns around for you. Good Luck

gulfsurfer101

Sorry to hijack but there's no sense in making another thread when it pertains to the op's topic. I got these derressa clams from divers den and the sqamosa from a lfs. The dd clams were introduced on Friday of last week and the sqamosa Saturday the following day. Today Monday, this is what my clams are looking like. One derressa is looking just fine, one half open and bunched up. My sqamosa doesn't want to open up fully. I've since removed all chemical media, and dimmed down my lighting thinking that may have been a factor. In short, does this look like pm or are my clams just peeved.

20140310_171616_zps5162644_edit_13944978

20140310_171623_zpsd0716d4c.jpg

Not to slam DD but this is the 3rd thread I have seen in the last couple days with clams looking really really bad. I wonder if they might have a protozoan or bacterial pathogen making the rounds. Every purchase I have ever made from LA and DD was spot on. gulfsurfer I would contact DD and send along some of those image.

gulfsurfer101

I might infact do that, but that still doesn't help the sqamosa which looks far worst than the derresa. I don't want to do anything else that may cause more trouble but I need to know for certain if I'm dealing with pm since I don't know how to make that positive id. My good buddy that is a clam expert and has written a few articles on rc assured me that they are just peeved. Maybe somebody with better knowledge than myself will chime in and offer me some advice.

gulfsurfer101

I may resort to a fw dip if things don't look better tomorrow. I'll also pack a chamber in my aio with activated carbon to see if that helps.

Sorry to hijack but there's no sense in making another thread when it pertains to the op's topic. I got these derressa clams from divers den and the sqamosa from a lfs. The dd clams were introduced on Friday of last week and the sqamosa Saturday the following day. Today Monday, this is what my clams are looking like. One derressa is looking just fine, one half open and bunched up. My sqamosa doesn't want to open up fully. I've since removed all chemical media, and dimmed down my lighting thinking that may have been a factor. In short, does this look like pm or are my clams just peeved.

20140310_171616_zps5162644_edit_13944978

20140310_171623_zpsd0716d4c.jpg

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/jf/index.php

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/clams/98140-pinched-mantle-disease-id-treatment-options.html

Based off of these two sites, it looks like your clam does have PM.

gulfsurfer101

I did infact do a 20m fw dip today with both clams and packed some carbon in an area if high flow in one if the rear chambers of my tank to see if that helps at all. I'm working night shift so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to see if my efforts pay off though. I may do another fw dip since I hear it's best to do multiple times to get rid of the pathogen. I actually came across both those pages and recently became a member of the dreaded rc forum as I'm probably moving out the nano range here shortly after only 8yrs. I know there's a lot of archived information over there that I may find useful.

gulfsurfer101

24hrs after the first fw dip things are looking better for my sqammy. I went ahead and did a second dip on my derasa thigh and remain skeptical on whether infact it will make it. I've contacted la since I've noticed a few threads out there with the same clams not looking do hot lately. Hopefully the second dip will bring it around. Also the derasa on the sand bed is a completely different clam. Everything is still peeved from being moved into the dt.

http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/gulfsurfer101/media/20140312_170353_zpse23sy3i7.jpg.html]20140312_170353_zpse23sy3i7.jpg[/url]

http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/gulfsurfer101/media/20140312_170255_zps3ufmqljy.jpg.html]20140312_170255_zps3ufmqljy.jpg[/url]

24hrs after the first fw dip things are looking better for my sqammy. I went ahead and did a second dip on my derasa thigh and remain skeptical on whether infact it will make it. I've contacted la since I've noticed a few threads out there with the same clams not looking do hot lately. Hopefully the second dip will bring it around. Also the derasa on the sand bed is a completely different clam. Everything is still peeved from being moved into the dt.

http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/gulfsurfer101/media/20140312_170353_zpse23sy3i7.jpg.html%5D'>http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/gulfsurfer101/media/20140312_170353_zpse23sy3i7.jpg.html]20140312_170353_zpse23sy3i7.jpg[/url]

http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/gulfsurfer101/media/20140312_170255_zps3ufmqljy.jpg.html%5D'>http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/gulfsurfer101/media/20140312_170255_zps3ufmqljy.jpg.html]20140312_170255_zps3ufmqljy.jpg[/url]

Wow, that is a very bad case of PM. Deresas are nearly immune to PM and yours ar suffering. The problem with divers den clams is mostly subject to only their ORA Deresas and Squamosas. They purchase them in high bulk and sit around too long before being posted/sold. This problem is worsened by the fact they run ozone gas through their clam system, which bleaches out all dissolved organics/ clam food.

gulfsurfer101

Hmmm, I noticed the maxima I got off live aquaria that wasn't from the divers den section looks much healthier so what your saying makes a ton of sense. The sqamosa looked tons better when I walked in from work yesterday morning but I honestly thought my derasa would be dead but it's still hanging on as I walked out the door late yesterday evening. It's responsive to light and I've been feeding the tank daily with phytoplex. Also over feeding my fish every day. If I do purchase from la again I'll be sure to steer clear of the dd section when it comes to choosing a clam.

Hmmm, I noticed the maxima I got off live aquaria that wasn't from the divers den section looks much healthier so what your saying makes a ton of sense. The sqamosa looked tons better when I walked in from work yesterday morning but I honestly thought my derasa would be dead but it's still hanging on as I walked out the door late yesterday evening. It's responsive to light and I've been feeding the tank daily with phytoplex. Also over feeding my fish every day. If I do purchase from la again I'll be sure to steer clear of the dd section when it comes to choosing a clam.

I would dip the deresa for a full hour. They handle dips very well. It is also said it takes a full 45 minutes to actually kill the parasite. Good luck.

gulfsurfer101

I may do that tomorrow morning infact with both my derasa and my sqamosa just for good measure. My other derasa and my two smaller gold maximas seem to be just fine. I honestly thought I was going to come home to a dead clam but it actually looks tons better. The clam has turned itself in a complete 180* turn and fastened down to the rock its on so there is some signs of improvement, but I don't want to jump the gun yet and say that things are fine. I'll take it day by day.

Do you have a PH meter? Clams can handle FWD well. Dick Perrin once forgot about an entire shipment of Croceas he was dipping and left

Them in fresh water for many hours, and they all eventually recovered. But if you don't adjust the ph of the freshwater to around 8, that shock will most likely kill them. Good luck.

gulfsurfer101

I test ph with a test kit. This clam looks like it's actually coming around. I'll try and snap a pic tomorrow. The fw dips looked like they may have been the ticket.

gulfsurfer101

Looks like I may have counted this clam off the check list too soon. I came home from work to find both the derasa and my sqamosa gone. My other derasa looks just fine along with my golden maxima. It was always just these two that have had issues and i wasn't able to bring them back.

A little update.

I think about a week has passed since I posted this and the clam is still alive. Its still not super happy but at least, at times, it opens up more than it was and there doesnt seem to be as many "dimples" for lack of a better word in the mantle. I really wish I had a PAR meter but I would think if it was not in enough light it would try to extend as much as possible right? and if it was in too much light it would have acclimated by now (more than 3 weeks)?

All that said, it hasnt died yet and I think if it WERE going to die it would have by now. hopefully it keeps improving bit by bit.

duncan-junkie

Sorry to hear you lost your clams :( Clams can sometimes be a gamble, and we hope we get a good healthy one that will for years on end. But sometimes we get some that aren't so healthy and its very hard, and almost impossible to bring them back. Keep your head up, and keep trying!! They can be tricky little buggers. I wish you the best!

Archived