Coral Vue Hydros

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

FlowerMama

This is my current tank by the way. When I first got into hobby, I didn't know what I would like - so I got a little bit of everything to display on the frag racks - torches, acans, palys, leather, acros etc. I liked the rock nems best so I took out the front frag display racks and put rock nems and mushrooms on sand bottom. Now I'm addicted - and I'm not even on crack.

So, I see roughly 23 or so, any babies born to your bouquet? witness any spawning events? I thought I'd be addicted to zoas, nope, acans for a moment, but nothing like the feeling I have about these. I'll actually feel uneasiness until I've made a purchase. Then I'm relaxed. It's just a different type of rock!

• 1 month later...
starrlamia

this thread makes me drool. So jealous that you guys can find RFAs for decent prices. Here they are anywhere from $90-$200 depending on the colouring. I want a few more for my tank but dont have the $$$. Right now I have 1 and he was originally on a rock and stayed there for a few weeks, then moved around (sitting on a few zoa frags in the process) and has been on the sandbed for the last few months. He likes it there so I'm cool with it. He is a jerk though, I had a mushroom sprout a baby which detached from the rock. When I went to move the shroom I accidently pushed it into the nem who promptly stuffed it in his mouth :(

• Like 1
hypostatic

you know, i actually find it impressive that they c an even save half of the corals

I love that light pink one.

i gots that one :)

• Like 1

this thread makes me drool. So jealous that you guys can find RFAs for decent prices. Here they are anywhere from $90-$200 depending on the colouring. I want a few more for my tank but dont have the $$$. Right now I have 1 and he was originally on a rock and stayed there for a few weeks, then moved around (sitting on a few zoa frags in the process) and has been on the sandbed for the last few months. He likes it there so I'm cool with it. He is a jerk though, I had a mushroom sprout a baby which detached from the rock. When I went to move the shroom I accidently pushed it into the nem who promptly stuffed it in his mouth :(

Don't feel too bad... many of the folks here practically camp out on vipreef's site and buy $200+ worth at a time to get'em. I advise being really nice to 1st time reefer and miryia... as theirs will likely pop out baby ones in the months to come.

Other paths to cheap rock flower anemones? Buy smaller specimens when they show up at local stores & swap events (I obtained 2 nice ones for about $80 and one local store routinely has plainer color ones for $29-40). Fancier ones show up at decent to cheap prices on some NR sponsors... reef gardener & coral gardens aquaculture come to mind. KPA also has good deals on them from time to time, especially if you contact the owners and state what colors you're seeking and specify "nano-sized".

Good luck in your search!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ordered any of the rock flowers from KP aquatics? I am curious if the colors on the orange ones are good? The green ones look good too I bet under some actinic they would look different??

Has anyone ordered any of the rock flowers from KP aquatics? I am curious if the colors on the orange ones are good? The green ones look good too I bet under some actinic they would look different??

I've ordered from them. I've ordered the WYSIWYG and the regular orange (cheaper), not WYSIWYG. The WYSIWYG was brighter orange than the cheaper one. :) I think that's to be expected though. Both are nice.

Thanks for pics... that yellow is nice.... I still haven't decided...

Also anyone keep these in barebottom tank? I plan on placing on a rock, but see most of yours in sand... I have seen most tanks with them on rocks though... thoughts??

When on the sand they do suction themselves to the glass for stability. There's shouldn't be an issue w/ them on the glass. You can also put them on rock, they love that too. Just if you ever have to move them it will be difficult moving them off rock.

Would anybody be interested in doing a bulk order from VIP? I'm friends with Xavier, Franks son, and he told me that if we were to buy 100 or more, every one would be half price. They have a $40 section, a $60 section, and an $80 section in store, so the prices for a bulk order would be $20,$30, and $40 respectively. I would be looking for 4-5 individuals who would be interested in purchasing 15-20 each with me that way I don't have to ship out 50 different nems to single places. I could pick them up and ship them out for the participants

• Like 2

Would anybody be interested in doing a bulk order from VIP? I'm friends with Xavier, Franks son, and he told me that if we were to buy 100 or more, every one would be half price. They have a $40 section, a $60 section, and an $80 section in store, so the prices for a bulk order would be $20,$30, and $40 respectively. I would be looking for 4-5 individuals who would be interested in purchasing 15-20 each with me that way I don't have to ship out 50 different nems to single places. I could pick them up and ship them out for the participants

You know I WISH I had the money to do that right now but I don't. My phone contract is up 7/10 and I have to buy a new phone on credit card (which is just about to be maxed) then go w/ the cheaper Walmart Straight Talk plan.

What do the bins look like though?

they're pretty impressive, several 8-12' tank made out of PVC starboard, all LED lit, and just hundreds upon hundreds on those bad boys. I'll take some pics next time I go over there (It's about a 10 minute drive for me and the LFS I go to for anything really)

• Like 2

they're pretty impressive, several 8-12' tank made out of PVC starboard, all LED lit, and just hundreds upon hundreds on those bad boys. I'll take some pics next time I go over there (It's about a 10 minute drive for me and the LFS I go to for anything really)

You know this makes me very jealous, your 10 mins ride over there!!! And 2 of my friends from work which I introduced to his nems are going to Miami to pick up their son 7/4 weekend and are stopping in to see Frank and his nems. aARGH!

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic