Mirya

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Tired

Cheapo planted tank light from Amazon that I originally meant to use to grow algae in my opae ula tank. It got temporarily reassigned for my "oh shoot, don't have the final tank yet but Black Friday sales are happening" holding tank. It seemed to be strong enough in pure volume, nothing was too stretched once I got positioning figured out, but a lot of algae grew and it definitely wasn't ideal for coral color. Did okay for coral health, though.

Mkus

My rock anemones were both raised off the substrate Friday when I noticed the red one was releasing sperm! I have three in the tank along with a bunch of mini red bali carperts..

95C2CF57-42CB-406F-B4B6-DFBCD28720E5.png

• Like 3

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Mkus said:

My rock anemones were both raised off the substrate Friday when I noticed the red one was releasing sperm! I have three in the tank along with a bunch of mini red bali carperts..

I saw mine releasing in the summer.. No babies though :sad:. Have any of yours had babies?

• Sad 1

Mkus

No never had any babies but the red mini carpets split all the time they’ve my selling stock beautiful right behind the rock flower

Raketemensch

Is the browning a struggle with photosynthesis, or nutrition?

LazyFish
On 12/4/2019 at 11:06 PM, Sancho said:

Here’s it under whites

4CF6D46E-94CC-4909-8BC3-6CE7074877B8.jpeg

This may be late post but that is a bali rock flower anemone it's not the same as a regular rfa mine stung my regular rfa not badly but enough to anoy it

• Like 1

kimberbee

12 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I saw mine releasing in the summer.. No babies though :sad:. Have any of yours had babies?

Do you remember what time you caught them? 

I have a feeling I never see mine spawn cause we go to bed pretty early. My lights go on around 12 and off around 9, and we're usually in bed by 930. I think mostly they spawn at night...?

• Like 1

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
9 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I have a feeling I never see mine spawn cause we go to bed pretty early. My lights go on around 12 and off around 9, and we're usually in bed by 930. I think mostly they spawn at night...?

Yeah so it was probably like 930ish.. my lights go off at 11 so I caught it, actually my wife saw it asked it it was ok lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SeaFurn
10 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Yeah, mine have never spawned during the day. Early evening a couple times but mostly when as the lights transition to all blues and then they will continue when lights are off for a couple of hours.!

• Like 2

seabass

I thought I'd share a pic of one of my RFAs which likes to extend prior to lights on.  I measured it over 6" long.

033120a.jpg

Here it is with the lights on.

033120b.jpg

This behavior isn't all that unusual.  However, this one can get pretty tall.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Tired

Anemones, just after being re-added after a rescape. I've never seen pictures of these weird blotchy blue-green ones, but SaltCritters seems to have a pretty decent supply of them. I guess they're breeding them, or someone they get anemones from is breeding them. I finally got one.

image0.jpg?width=630&height=630

And then a couple hours later, after one's decided it's comfy and the other has decided it doesn't like the lights (don't mind the color shift, a sunbeam fell on it). I may have to uproot the orange one and put it over by my red one that's crammed itself under the rockwork edge so it's barely in the light. How long do I give it to adjust- a few days? 

I'm interested by the fact that my two reddest ones also seem to be my most light-sensitive. The one under the rockwork (ish) is red/orange with a white rim, and this one notably has red as well. My others are two non-ultras, that zebra-green fella, what used to be an ultra zebra but has since turned brownish, and this splotchy green one. 

image0.jpg?width=472&height=630

• Like 3

My tiny reef

It’s been forever since I’ve been on here, so I have some looking around and catching up to do.  Just got some new RFAs in today to bring some joy to this crazy social distancing time and thought I’d share some pictures in my favorite forum! The white one with purple tips is the largest one I’ve ever seen and kind of reminds me of an elegance coral the way it is curled up right now.  I’ve wanted a highlighter green one for a while too, glad one came in the mix today! Tank feels more full and colorful now! 

0721F594-49DE-48A6-B0D8-1D1021A7FC9E.jpeg

8F991A29-0BA3-43D2-B29A-61F663ED0A7B.jpeg

B50E9C32-E943-4E77-935C-D8C99B3BBF02.jpeg

0D1C67EA-366C-4343-9951-CD10050E46DD.jpeg

A9E2C4BA-7943-419D-8733-B397AC9EEACF.jpeg

1D2D52F7-07FE-4D2A-94B1-7BE1E1120BF8.jpeg

8603382C-C502-49EA-8FB7-B53B94E47C33.jpeg

A436E5BF-0DB8-466E-A3EF-36C5DC8F1E60.jpeg

• Like 5

tofer

Im liking how this baby is looking .

IMG_6082.jpeg

• Like 6

My tiny reef

Salt Critters has ultra RFA packs half off right now. I have some arriving tomorrow, can’t wait! They are small but great color combos!  Get ready for photo dump tomorrow once they are settled in! 

image.png

• Like 4

Tired

Wow, you bought twelve? Can't wait for pics! 

I love SaltCritters' array of nems. They must be breeding them or have a supplier who is, what with all the tiny nems and the huge variety. I have a nice green one from them with asymmetrical splotches, which is something I haven't seen in pics before.  

• Like 1

My tiny reef
3 hours ago, Tired said:

Wow, you bought twelve? Can't wait for pics! 

I love SaltCritters' array of nems. They must be breeding them or have a supplier who is, what with all the tiny nems and the huge variety. I have a nice green one from them with asymmetrical splotches, which is something I haven't seen in pics before.  

I’ve never bought from them before, but have visited their site a few times. I saw half off Sunday night and couldn’t resist.  I know 12 seems excessive, but when they dangle free shipping once you spend a certain amount it makes it very tempting to get to that amount. I’m considering it an early Mother’s Day gift.  Very excited to see what arrives tomorrow!

• Like 2

Tired

The babies they sell are pretty tiny, but should fatten up nicely with some good feeding. Everything I've gotten from them has been nice and healthy. So far, my only complaint (if you can call it that) is that there's some sort of sponge-type creature on one zoanthid frag that does appear to be growing, so it could theoretically be an annoyance if left to run wild. And that another zoanthid frag turned out to be a clam with zoanthids on it. A perfectly healthy, entirely reasonable to keep, but live and presumably somewhat confused clam impersonating a rock. But "there were interesting non-pest creatures" is hardly a serious complaint.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LazyFish

I just got my 3.4 gallon rfa growout wet. Starting the cycle today. Yay! I have probly 50 babies in my 20g in a 8 oz jar that I'll move in once done.

I also just bought a red on red rfa and a two face that will also go into the pico.  Came in rough but recovering. Heres  some of the babies in the jar in the 20 and a seller pic of the two face with a realy bad blurry pic of the 20. Experimenting with an orange filter there and a pic of the new pico. Theres about 16 adults in the 20g. Including 4 that i managed to grow out from another batch of babies about 2 years ago.

20200421_164057.jpg

20200422_113055.jpg

20200412_175706.jpg

20200430_150058.jpg

• Like 3

SeaFurn

@j_wey  Any update on the baby that was attached to the underside of its mother?  Did it ever release?

friar1

Interesting, I just went through a lot of this thread.  I did not know that RFAs only reproduce sexually. I thought they would split like my MiniMini Maxis do.  I got one of those a few years ago and now have a bunch.

So now that I have learned from you guys about RFA reproduction, I will be watching for babies.  ALthough I have had a number (4) of RFA's in my 20 Gallon tank for a while and have not noticed anything new, or any babies.   hmmm.  Wondering if I had the bad luck to get only males or only females.

• Like 1

friar1

I will DEFINITELY be putting RFAs into my new tank.  Love the Garden look these can make in a tank.

• Like 1

SeaFurn
1 hour ago, friar1 said:

Wondering if I had the bad luck to get only males or only females.

I guess the best plan to fix that would be to get some more!!   I have a hunch that they may be able to change sexes though...BUT it's only a theory based on some interesting things I've seen going on in my tank. 

• Like 1

friar1

So from a paper by Kristine Douglas from the University Of The West Indies:

The red beaded anemone is a dioecious species, meaning it has separate male and female individuals. It can reproduce sexually with its offspring developing from egg to ciliated planula larvae within the parent and would then drop on the ocean floor, develop a pedal disk and grow into a juvenile anemone without tentacles (Fig. 3). This species can also reproduce asexually via fission. The process of fission happens as the anemone splits to produce a clone.

So apparently, they will split.  Course, it's all moot for me since there has been no reproduction in my tank either by cloning or the other way hehe

SeaFurn
20 minutes ago, friar1 said:

This species can also reproduce asexually via fission.

I’ll believe that when I see it. 

There are several things in that document that don’t jibe with my experience or other anecdotal evidence.  I’m not a scientist though.

Maybe they act differently in the ocean than they do in our little boxes of water.