inTank Media Baskets

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I finally had a spawning event in my tank omgomgomg. Now my question is IF I had females and the turkey basting the other flowers with love juice, how long till they actually have babies? It was really cool to see and I did get it on video.

Sorry for the bad video, best I could do on the fly...

• Like 5
  • Wow 2
3 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I finally had a spawning event in my tank omgomgomg. Now my question is IF I had females and the turkey basting the other flowers with love juice, how long till they actually have babies? It was really cool to see and I did get it on video.

Wow, really cool you managed to catch that

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
12 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Wow, really cool you managed to catch that

It's funny, Katie and I were sitting on the couch looking at the tank and two rock flowers looked like a pedestals.... I go, "they are strange animals and do weird things", so my wife goes to the tank and says "Why does he have goo coming out of his mouth?" I look and say, " well hunny, when a man loves a women...……….":lol:

• Haha 5
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Woohoo! Glad you saw it! 

I start looking for babies around 6 weeks. That’s probably the earliest you’d see any. Then after 8 weeks I don’t usually find many new ones. 

I use one of those actinic flashlight when searching for them. It helps to spot them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Woohoo! Glad you saw it! 

I start looking for babies around 6 weeks. That’s probably the earliest you’d see any. Then after 8 weeks I don’t usually find many new ones. 

I use one of those actinic flashlight when searching for them. It helps to spot them. 

I'm excited.. I truly never thought I'd ever get to see it. I've had that rock flower a year and half now.. he's gotta be 4-5inches

I have 4 so hopefully I have a female in the mix

• Like 2
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I'm excited.. I truly never thought I'd ever get to see it. I've had that rock flower a year and half now.. he's gotta be 4-5inches

I have 4 so hopefully I have a female in the mix

Oh yeah, if they see that big they are mature enough. 

I hope you have some females too! 

Did you happen to notice if any of the others were putting their tentacles in their mouths like they are eating while all this was going on? If so, those are the females! 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Oh yeah, if they see that big they are mature enough. 

I hope you have some females too! 

Did you happen to notice if any of the others were putting their tentacles in their mouths like they are eating while all this was going on? If so, those are the females! 

Not really... I basted them and they sorta looked like they caught some. Didn't notice if they started moving the tentacles toward the mouth.

I'll set a reminder for 6 weeks out and see if I can spot any babies. Good thing is I have a bare bottom tank, so maybe they'll attach to the glass and not the rocks :smilie:

• Like 4

@DSFIRSTSLTWATER - Here are a few my current babies.  You'll want to look for small colorful "dots" - like the smallest red one you see in the upper left next to the yellow one. 

Some of the larger ones in the pic are actually well over 6 months old, although they are still super tiny (smaller than the eraser on a pencil) compared to an adult.

I'm loving the variety of colors/morphs I'm getting.     

48982443668_cf8f11f3ab_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 3
20 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I'm still so jealous!!

Well, I’m still hopeful you’ll have some eventually.

Get some more and up your chances! How can you argue with getting more rock nems??!!

• Like 2

A couple of my rock flowers seem to have decided that the best place to be is right on top of the clove polyps... so far no one seems to be objecting... corals and nems seem fairly content, aside from the cloves getting kinda squished. You can see the hole next to the zoas where the yellow and red nem used to attach.

D80CF530-78D1-4545-AF84-213CADC54346.thumb.jpeg.a944d85578c28c441851edbc244fb1b3.jpeg

981B6E3A-D3D9-474C-8B22-FEECB06D1615.thumb.jpeg.ce5693af9fe468f88b7131ab143e5791.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
15 minutes ago, banasophia said:

A couple of my rock flowers seem to have decided that the best place to be is right on top of the clove polyps... so far no one seems to be objecting... corals and nems seem fairly content, aside from the cloves getting kinda squished. You can see the hole next to the zoas where the yellow and red nem used to attach.

D80CF530-78D1-4545-AF84-213CADC54346.thumb.jpeg.a944d85578c28c441851edbc244fb1b3.jpeg

981B6E3A-D3D9-474C-8B22-FEECB06D1615.thumb.jpeg.ce5693af9fe468f88b7131ab143e5791.jpeg

Mine moved again but i did take the rock out so i could scrub algae off of it. He moved to the underside of the rock. I now have that propped up so I didn't crush his ass  lol. I'm hoping when i get home from work it's moved to the top so i can put the rock back down :lol:

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Mine moved again but i did take the rock out so i could scrub algae off of it. He moved to the underside of the rock. I now have that propped up so I didn't crush his ass  lol. I'm hoping when i get home from work it's moved to the top so i can put the rock back down :lol:

Nems!! 😤😂 I have a couple that go to shaded spots where I can’t see them as well. 

At least rock flowers don’t usually destroy everything in their path. Unlike the bta in my other tank... it seriously gets on top of my corals and kills them as soon as I start thinking the coral is looking nice. 😫😫😫

• Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Yeah, nems!! 😤😂 I have a couple that go to shaded spots where I can’t see them as well. 

At least rock flowers don’t usually destroy everything in their path. Unlike the bta in my other tank... it seriously gets on top of my corals and kills them as soon as I start thinking the coral is looking nice. 😫😫😫

I'd love a bubble tip... I would need a second tank with just that though. I couldn't deal with it trying to have a coral orgy :lol: For an animal without a brain, they sure are pretty amazing. Just not when they hide away from the light that they need to live :wink:

• Like 2
Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I'd love a bubble tip... I would need a second tank with just that though. I couldn't deal with it trying to have a coral orgy :lol: For an animal without a brain, they sure are pretty amazing. Just not when they hide away from the light that they need to live :wink:

Wish I could give you my bta, the little bugger. I’m glad my clownfish loves it so much, but next time I will just choose a clown being hosted by a coral at the LFS, and I’ll get its coral along with it... because corals can be glued down, avoiding total bta/coral destruction.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
10 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Wish I could give you my bta, the little bugger. I’m glad my clownfish loves it so much, but next time I will just choose a clown being hosted by a coral at the LFS, and I’ll get its coral along with it... because corals can be glued down, avoiding total bta/coral destruction.

If i could give you my clownfish I would :lol:. Little shit killed my little chromis I bought. Two weeks I had that fish :sad:

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, banasophia said:

Bag it up and send it my way 🤗

• Like 1

Where are the popular places to order RFAs from these days? 

Most of mine came from VIP Reef, but it doesn't look like they list on their website anymore. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 11/2/2019 at 12:45 PM, kimberbee said:

Where are the popular places to order RFAs from these days? 

Most of mine came from VIP Reef, but it doesn't look like they list on their website anymore. 

I heard that saltcritters.com have a really great selection of rfas and decently priced too

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up one of the sickest rock flower enemies I’ve ever seen. It’s yellowish orange splatter for $45 @ 2-3”. I’ll get a picture as soon as it’s in my tank. 

they had another in stock That had even crazier colors but it wasn’t looking great 

• Like 1

The fist picture is off his stores Facebook. It’s Tentacles we’re retracted and small and the mouth was wide open. The other two pics are the one I bought. The mouth was tight when he bagged it so I’m sure it’s just pissed. 

2CD7C305-4F7B-44D3-9A6C-FA3BC34EB43E.jpeg

058093A1-083C-4BDD-8FA0-E88A99B67AAF.jpeg

F1F0608A-F581-4AD3-8616-CD18ED4B7371.jpeg

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, HiImSean said:

The fist picture is off his stores Facebook. It’s Tentacles we’re retracted and small and the mouth was wide open. The other two pics are the one I bought. The mouth was tight when he bagged it so I’m sure it’s just pissed. 

2CD7C305-4F7B-44D3-9A6C-FA3BC34EB43E.jpeg

058093A1-083C-4BDD-8FA0-E88A99B67AAF.jpeg

F1F0608A-F581-4AD3-8616-CD18ED4B7371.jpeg

That's pretty. Good pick up. :happydance:

• Like 2

image0.pngimage0.jpg?width=473&height=630

This is my new rock flower. It has a slight green tint under actinics, but definitely doesn't glow like the ultras. I like it anyway, it reminds me of some sort of candy. I actually really like the brown/white/green shallow water ones, especially since they look good in white light. I plan on a few of those with a single ultra for some pop, but I have to find an ultra that looks good in whites. Maybe one of the blue center/pink rim ones. I definitely want a white non-ultra, as much white as I can find on it- I love how they look, and they're about the only sessile reef inhabitant I know of that's supposed to be white. 

I hadn't known that shallow water ones could have orange and pink on them, but this one has the pink around the mouth, and an orange foot. I assume this is a shallow water one because of the colors and the lack of the glow, at least. 

It's in the dish of sand in case it wanted to bury itself a bit, and also so I can move it around when I upgrade my tank in December. 

I took it out of the transport bag with my hand, and I gotta tell ya, this is the softest animal I've ever touched. It feels like if you held it for any longer than a second, it would melt the rest of the way into the liquid/slime it's supposed to be, like it's barely held together into one solid thing. Too bad this isn't an animal you can pick up and hold, it's so, so soft. I'm not sure I would even know these were animals if I didn't know about corals and anemones already, they seem more like some kind of a fungus. Except for the moving- I actually saw this one moving at first, very slowly, just sliding around like a weird snail until it got its foot settled.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Tired said:

Except for the moving

Their feeding response is quite intense.  I often demonstrate it to people as they visit and check out my tanks.

Nice nem!  I like many of the less wild colorations too.

• Like 1