SaltCritters.com

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

1 hour ago, MockandRoll said:

I posted some of these pics on the classified page but figured I would also post here. 

32743932677_45d9f3fac7_b.jpg33809551028_4130e16beb_b.jpg33809549738_5b24a977ed_b.jpg32743931477_24bee368f6_b.jpg

Awrsome! Looks like one of my rocks. Great mix of colors! 

51 minutes ago, ReefFish said:

My Maroon Clown is trying to host one of my Rock Anemones now and it's not liking the love so much

0420191743.thumb.jpg.fc2bda575888fd49ad6f98c73f871824.jpg

Wow! I didn’t even think they would try that. Mine don’t ever get close. 

The sting obviously isn’t enough to dissuade your clown. 

• Like 1

Does anyone have or seen a Rock Anemone that is two different colors from one side to the other side 50/50 I've only seen two for sale online but never in person?

NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, ReefFish said:

Does anyone have or seen a Rock Anemone that is two different colors from one side to the other side 50/50 I've only seen two for sale online but never in person?

Rubio's Corals has them occasionally... But he wants a mint for them. (Which, I understand, given their rarity, and someone I'm sure willing to pay for them.) 

I am weak. Joining the club.  These two seem to be fighting over this shell they landed near, the one on the left dragged the other over. Last night, they both found a spot on rock, with the right one at the base of the rock and sand. hopefully he will expand a bit more so I can get a good shot of him. Purchased at Wojtek's Reef in Chicago. Here is a pic where they came from. Pretty sure this guy is the one straight across to the right from the upper right corner of the lower light reflection. 

IMG_20190505_173608.jpg

58933362_1596586497152121_2546468199784775680_o.thumb.jpg.c993de33d4f56f28020f4f23d03dcdc1.jpg

• Like 10
  • Wow 2
banasophia

Good morning. 🙂 Got a nice pic of my RFAs and cloves this morning that I thought I’d share. 🤗

DD3CBC2B-9104-477E-9ADF-02D2A576FCF3.thumb.jpeg.3a9e50424d4bbd5a413bcbf84420c4ef.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
9 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Good morning. 🙂 Got a nice pic of my RFAs and cloves this morning that I thought I’d share. 🤗

DD3CBC2B-9104-477E-9ADF-02D2A576FCF3.thumb.jpeg.3a9e50424d4bbd5a413bcbf84420c4ef.jpeg

:bowdown:

• Thanks 1
banasophia
47 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I only have 1 RFA (and a baby).  Here's mine. 

IMG_20190507_232449_398.thumb.jpg.567ff7bf1fb32921c21b1245a1e61a62.jpg

IMG_20190505_211811_111.thumb.jpg.d2ddfdf7f94dc961c58f280f83eb8f05.jpg

Love the tentacles on these guys. 

Wow, beautiful!

• Thanks 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 4/29/2019 at 2:36 PM, ReefFish said:

My Maroon Clown is trying to host one of my Rock Anemones now and it's not liking the love so much

0420191743.thumb.jpg.fc2bda575888fd49ad6f98c73f871824.jpg

That clown is huge, I’ve never seen one so big? What’s his exact size😱😱

MockandRoll
On 5/1/2019 at 11:44 AM, ReefFish said:

Of the 200+ babies I have, I only have 1 two faced. See middle right side of pic.

33809549738_5b24a977ed_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 3
  • Thanks 1
Kellie in CA

Anyone else ever have two rock flowers stuck back to back to each other?

I'm hoping they are able to sort this out. 

• Haha 3
  • Wow 2

No, but I had two attached by a few tentacles, the one dragged the other with him to a rock, on the way they picked up a large shell, and it took them several days to stop playing tug of war with it. I am sure yours will sort it out.

• Like 2

For those of you keeping track of these things (like time of year, etc), one of my RFAs gave birth tonight.  I saw (like a dozen) RFA babies floating in the water.

051019b.jpg

You can see that they are fairly well formed.  Notice the tentacles in the pic.

So I shut off the filter and rinsed several babies from the filter cartridge.  I won't run another cartridge until the babies attach to something.  I believe this is the momma; however, I didn't see her release any more babies (I believe she was already done).

051019a.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, seabass said:

For those of you keeping track of these things (like time of year, etc), one of my RFAs gave birth tonight.  I saw (like a dozen) RFA babies floating in the water.

051019b.jpg

You can see that they are fairly well formed.  Notice the tentacles in the pic.

So I took shut off the filter and rinsed several babies off of the filter cartridge.  I won't run another cartridge until the babies attach to something.  I believe this is the momma; however, I didn't see her release any more babies (I believe she was already done).

051019a.jpg

Very cool! Neat photos! 

Last week one of mine was giving birth during the day and a bunch of babies were swirling around in the tank and my clownfish were eating them as they could. I have no idea how many they ate before I was able to corral them in a corner until the rest of the babies attached on the sand. 😡

Nontheless, I’ve spotted about 30 specks starting to color up. 

Will move them to the safety of the nem box in a week or 2. 

I probably need to check my filter sock for more when I change it this weekend. 

• Like 2
MockandRoll
48 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Very cool! Neat photos! 

Last week one of mine was giving birth during the day and a bunch of babies were swirling around in the tank and my clownfish were eating them as they could. I have no idea how many they ate before I was able to corral them in a corner until the rest of the babies attached on the sand. 😡

Nontheless, I’ve spotted about 30 specks starting to color up. 

Will move them to the safety of the nem box in a week or 2. 

I probably need to check my filter sock for more when I change it this weekend. 

Ya, if someone is serious about breeding RFAs, I think you have to go fishless.

At this rate RFAs will be as abundant as aiptasia in no time.🤔  

18 minutes ago, MockandRoll said:

Ya, if someone is serious about breeding RFAs, I think you have to go fishless.

At this rate RFAs will be as abundant as aiptasia in no time.🤔  

Probably true.

That was the first time I’ve seen them do that. Now I’ve gotta figure out if they are going to get rehomed or if am I going to put up with it. 

I’ve been really surprised my six line hasn’t pick the rocks clean of them since it picks at most everything else. It’s not interested in them at all. 

• Like 2
joel sandoman

This may have been answered already, but are these treated as other anemones in that you should wait at least 6 months before adding one to a new tank? Thanks!

12 minutes ago, joel sandoman said:

This may have been answered already, but are these treated as other anemones in that you should wait at least 6 months before adding one to a new tank? Thanks!

They are hardier than most anemones.  Parameters should be good, and stable.  However, with a decent light and occasional feedings, you can put a RFA in a relatively young tank.

• Like 1