Cultivated Reef

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

NoOneLikesADryTang
8 hours ago, ReefFish said:

Do you have any pictures of them in the tank

I’m in the process of building my set up - it’s essentially going to be a wall of flowers if it comes together the way I envision it. I’ll definitely be posting pictures once I have it all together. 

• Like 1
On 2/28/2019 at 9:55 AM, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Thank you! I'm super happy with them. I'm really impressed with their service, and live stock. The next batch I buy will definitely be from @Got Corals once again. 

Curious, how much is a bulk order from them?

11 hours ago, HiImSean said:

Curious, how much is a bulk order from them?

They just did a deal on them in Feb - 10 for $250 shipped. Hand picked by Got Coral and all ultras. 

These are some of the ones I got with that deal:

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

Before my water change last night  I found about 20 new babies  they are very small  .  A good amount of them are on rock or  very close to the rock . There was some in back chamber of the tank  was able to get  a couple out  and on rock . It was a pleasant surprise  as I did not know they spawned again.   If i counted right Im up to 28 babies from both spawning events .

• Like 4
On 2/15/2019 at 12:32 PM, Noinoi24 said:

Here’s my collection. It’s in the left side of the tank.

D5C03BD7-F6E4-461A-8448-95866B598814.jpeg

C067AFEB-AC66-4517-87C4-CE4389C9F27C.jpeg

44709456-3C0F-4D59-A614-ABEA65331F18.jpeg

amazing tank, great light set up too best of all worlds.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, tofer said:

Before my water change last night  I found about 20 new babies  they are very small  .  A good amount of them are on rock or  very close to the rock . There was some in back chamber of the tank  was able to get  a couple out  and on rock . It was a pleasant surprise  as I did not know they spawned again.   If i counted right Im up to 28 babies from both spawning events .

Very cool! Start feeding them and good luck keeping track of them. That’s always a challenge. Post up some baby pics when you get the chance! 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

I picked up this beauty at a LFS, it’s got to be at least 6 or 7 inches. Sorry - the picture doesn’t really do it justice, to it’s size. I wasn’t anticipating having something this large, but I saw it and couldn’t pass it up. 

DAA74F78-97A1-455A-A8F5-1ABBF6CADCDA.jpeg

• Like 3
3 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I picked up this beauty at a LFS, it’s got to be at least 6 or 7 inches. Sorry - the picture doesn’t really do it justice, to it’s size. I wasn’t anticipating having something this large, but I saw it and couldn’t pass it up. 

Was the price good or you went with "size"? 🙂

13 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Nice pick up! I've got an identical one that is huge too about 6" across

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
10 hours ago, ngvu1 said:

Was the price good or you went with "size"? 🙂

The price wasn't bad. I actually bought a rock, that had another large one on it (Which is probably 4-4 1/2 inches across) and I found a smaller yellow one hiding inside the rock, that I haven't gotten out yet. I'm sure the LFS didn't know the third one is there, because I almost didn't see it as the S/O and I started chiseling the rock. Anyway, it was $100 for the rock, that had the three RFA's a green mushroom on it. 

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, HiImSean said:

Nice pick up! I've got an identical one that is huge too about 6" across

Awesome. I keep hoping this one will spread out, so I can gauge the size a little better. It's easily the biggest on I've ever seen, and I've got a couple that are 4-5" currently, and this one dwarfs them. 

How do you remove these rocknems from rocks or caves?  I saw a bunch of them from the vendors' pictures and they are all loose nems.....In the wild, do they live on the sand/gravel bed only?  I don't think I can take one of mine of the rocks

Safely removing RFAs from rock is a very delicate and difficult procedure.  It's normally much safer to let them move on their own.  Sometimes it's possible to irritate them into moving (with flow, or placing a piece of rubble over them.  For RFAs that refuse to move, sometimes you'll need to reorient the rock (or even break up the rock).

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, seabass said:

Safely removing RFAs from rock is a very delicate and difficult procedure.  It's normally much safer to let them move on their own.  Sometimes it's possible to irritate them into moving (with flow, or placing a piece of rubble over them.  For RFAs that refuse to move, sometimes you'll need to reorient the rock (or even break up the rock).

They are like weeds in the oceans and the whole sellers are getting like $5 each or less is my guess. The divers will get even less a lot less for them per head.  I don't think the divers spend much time collecting them down there...but that is just my speculation

NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, ngvu1 said:

How do you remove these rocknems from rocks or caves?  I saw a bunch of them from the vendors' pictures and they are all loose nems.....In the wild, do they live on the sand/gravel bed only?  I don't think I can take one of mine of the rocks

I had to break the rock up around them, to get to their foot. I have a set of “carving tools” that I picked up from Harbor Freight that does a pretty good job of slowly, and delicately getting under a foot, to remove it from the rock, but you have to be able to get to the foot to use these. 

A40C2000-500D-4A38-86C5-59FB301BA303.jpeg

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, ngvu1 said:

They are like weeds in the oceans and the whole sellers are getting like $5 each or less is my guess. The divers will get even less a lot less for them per head.  I don't think the divers spend much time collecting them down there...but that is just my speculation

One of my local guys (he doesn't really sell them, but specializes in mushrooms and zoas) said he could get them wholesale for $15-18 each. But he wasn't sure of the size, or quality. I'm guessing if you're turning a ton of them, you could probably get them cheaper than that... At $15/each, and reselling them for $45-$75 at LFS, they provide a pretty solid profit margin. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

One of my local guys (he doesn't really sell them, but specializes in mushrooms and zoas) said he could get them wholesale for $15-18 each. But he wasn't sure of the size, or quality. I'm guessing if you're turning a ton of them, you could probably get them cheaper than that... At $15/each, and reselling them for $45-$75 at LFS, they provide a pretty solid profit margin. 

The whole sale is not likely paying $15 for each.  if they, the FB guys, can sell 10 for $220 shipped ( you pick the nems).  there is DOA to cover when you ship....

NoOneLikesADryTang
4 minutes ago, ngvu1 said:

The whole sale is not likely paying $15 for each.  if they, the FB guys, can sell 10 for $220 shipped ( you pick the nems).  there is DOA to cover when you ship....

I get that - those are typically really small nems (I've ordered from a couple of them)... So maybe they're paying $10-12 for them. The other thing to keep in mind, is they usually pull the premium ones, and sell them for significantly more. So theoretically they could be breaking even on the packs,or squeezing out a small profit on those you pick packs. While making their large margins on the rainbow/war paint/whatever other catchy names they come up with for them when you add those to your order. 

• Like 1
On 3/11/2019 at 1:50 PM, ngvu1 said:

$3 - $5 is what they sell a mix of red and ultra RFA's in bulk orders of 100 or more

• Like 2
18 hours ago, ngvu1 said:

This sounds more like it. 🙂

But the stores have to factor in their prices that they will have loss and it takes some time to sell them 

That's why you see the ultra RFA's that they pick out of their bulk 100+ orders going for $35 - $100 to try and make up for their losses and they sell the red RFA's for $20 and greens for $10 and up

So it may seem like the stores are ripping you off when they are only paying $3 - $5 but it's a lot of work holding hundreds of them to get that price and the loss and time to sell them

It's actually not that bad of a price when you can get a nice ultra RFA order of 10 for $230 with free shipping or in store pick the exact one you want for around $30

• Like 2

That's the thing about free markets, if it were easy to make money doing something, (barring regulations preventing it) others would step in and try to undercut you.

• Like 1