Top Shelf Aquatics

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

This baby does not look like any of the other babies. It got ridges all over and the mofo looks mean 🙂

It is next to the another baby and they don't look like each other at all :-).  This one is like from  different parents

c9c8652b99916a73f9baaae61964f870e4e0f693-1S_1280.jpg

• Like 2
12 hours ago, ngvu1 said:

This baby does not look like any of the other babies. It got ridges all over and the mofo looks mean 🙂

It is next to the another baby and they don't look like each other at all :-).  This one is like from  different parents

c9c8652b99916a73f9baaae61964f870e4e0f693-1S_1280.jpg

1214181720.thumb.jpg.6ebc3b4e4d06025921f0f4cd9bb24327.jpg

• Like 3
NoOneLikesADryTang
10 hours ago, WuzzoFish said:

I just ordered the 11 for 200 deal.  Is he legit?

It's legit - I got some about a month ago. They're small, but healthy. I've only lost one from him, and it might have been because a couple other melted. 

11 hours ago, WuzzoFish said:

I just ordered the 11 for 200 deal.  Is he legit?

He is.  I've had several orders from him, have one coming tomorrow in fact.  Some are small but that is pretty common with all sellers.  He has several hundred coming in to him every week so he is doing something right.

Well, well, well, look who decided to take a stroll...

20190211_175838.thumb.jpg.97f495c954ed1df21a47b91229559316.jpg

That Special Collection RFA threw a fit it was the only one on the side and stormed its way on top of the rock... the others were not happy about it LOL. My original RFA doesn't seem to mind being up against it but the others that were in its path definitely pulled back from it. The little red nem in bottom left WAS right next to the bottom right green nem and walked all the way over there after the Aqua SD nem tried to run it over.

The big yellow nem also went walking its first night and displaced a lot of the others, you can see who got huffy and relocated versus the first pic. I find it so fascinating which nems stay put exactly where you drop them, which move half an inch, and which just kinda terrorize the others as they wander.20190211_175856.thumb.jpg.333fe924436daed3bd39acd4b918db72.jpg

In the fallout of big yellow taking a stroll, the pink and blue pinstripe moved down here. I am not thrilled about that lol because it was my favorite and it HATED the yellow one covering it at night. I hope it comes back up soon. I don't see any stings/damage on the nems the Aqua SD one crossed paths with, maybe mine is too small to do much damage? I can't say the pinstripe it's cuddling with is THRILLED that, instead of the pink and blue, it's now cuddled up with this one lol.

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
2 hours ago, ngvu1 said:

I just saw Valentine's special $239 for 10 "your pick" from his hundreds of rock nems

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=382440799238039&id=100024163667085

That is Rubio's... Apparently Rock Flowers go up in price for Valentine's Day also. He had been doing 11 for $200, your pick prior to this posting. 

My frogspawn or hammer coral just blew its head off and it landed in one of my rfa.  The flower took it to his mouth before I could get it away.  Do you think it will kill the rfa

1 hour ago, kimdawg said:

My frogspawn or hammer coral just blew its head off and it landed in one of my rfa.  The flower took it to his mouth before I could get it away.  Do you think it will kill the rfa

Doubt it. 

Did it get all retracted up from getting stung by the frogspawn/hammer when it landed on it?  If not, and it’s open and it simply ate the coral it will be fine. 

4 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

That is Rubio's... Apparently Rock Flowers go up in price for Valentine's Day also. He had been doing 11 for $200, your pick prior to this posting. 

He had been doing the 11 for $200 deal for 3 or 4 weeks.  Before that it was 15 for $300.  Now 10 for $235.  Still the best deal going.

The rfa caught the big frogspawn head and tried to eat it. the rfa closed around it but it was much smaller than the piece of frogspawn and now it is closed with about half of the frogspawn out side.  It looks like a little frogspawn head sitting on the rock right now.

7 hours ago, kimdawg said:

The rfa caught the big frogspawn head and tried to eat it. the rfa closed around it but it was much smaller than the piece of frogspawn and now it is closed with about half of the frogspawn out side.  It looks like a little frogspawn head sitting on the rock right now.

It will probably just spit it out if it can’t take the whole piece in. Either way I think the RFA will be fine. 

just picked up a couple RFA's today.  one of them would not let go of the plastic from the bag so I cut it apart and left the RFA hanging onto a piece of plastic.  

a couple hours later, I find it attached to a cerith snail and riding around.

• Haha 4

If this isn't proof that some RFA's sting others I don't know what is.

Last week

1282853403_0204191654a2.thumb.jpg.9e1cc9b8e7d9b2c0c161792d3cc7b0d1.jpg

Yesterday

1752139608_0213191626a2.thumb.jpg.bf9cdc3d67fb935c54946eb06857efe7.jpg

About an hour after1745779849_0213192024b2.thumb.jpg.f06cfa04679c6917d6bfb4a81e0d9a9b.jpg

And this morning found upside down in the sand1716565999_02141909222.thumb.jpg.e0ae171d946694a14bcd1523ee8c1ff5.jpg

In the first picture you can see that the Rock Anemone in the middle wouldn't touch the one on the right side of it but yesterday it moved up the rock and got stung and it looks to be fatal.

In the last month I have lost half of my anemones about 15 super ultra colored RFA's that looked exactly like the last picture with their mouths gaping open but this was the first time I was able to see what happened.

So if your going to try and get every color RFA and do the whole anemone garden thing just know that one day they may not like touching each other and start going to war for their spot.

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1

Oh man. Thanks for sharing reefFish.  Of course we believe your.  I just get confused because the red one and the damaged one look identical in the body structure. They look like the same kind.  How do we tell to prevent this from happening?

I only have 1 kind of rocknems, I hope, so I will think twice before getting  rocknems.

6 hours ago, ngvu1 said:

Oh man. Thanks for sharing reefFish.  Of course we believe your.  I just get confused because the red one and the damaged one look identical in the body structure. They look like the same kind.  How do we tell to prevent this from happening?

I only have 1 kind of rocknems, I hope, so I will think twice before getting  rocknems.

All in my tank are from the same store and diver except two that where killed/died about a month ago that were sold to me as Belize Rock Anemones.

I just think when they get bigger they want their space and don't touch so not the best idea to fill a tank with them and hope they get along with each other.

I definitely will not be getting any more of them it has been a big loss $$$

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, ReefFish said:

All in my tank are from the same store and diver except two that where kill/died about a month ago that were sold to me as Belize Rock Anemones.

I just think when they get bigger they want their space and don't touch so not the best idea to fill a tank with them and hope they get along with each other.

I definitely will not be getting any more of them it has been a big loss $$$

That's exactly how mine looked from the stinging death.  I feel so bad, every picture I have seen has them all cuddled together so I placed them close and figured they would move to where they liked. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Kellie in CA said:

That's exactly how mine looked from the stinging death.  I feel so bad, every picture I have seen has them all cuddled together so I placed them close and figured they would move to where they liked. 

All of mine where cuddled together until they started to sting and kill the RFA next to it

Before

1406987617_0730181858b2.thumb.jpg.3452d11c1eebab9f55ce7e2cb4b98c3a.jpg

After

0214191809.thumb.jpg.57229f9ba2dfb8f22f9b62f2a1744960.jpg

• Wow 1
12 minutes ago, ReefFish said:

All of mine where cuddled together until they started to sting and kill the RFA next to it

Before

1406987617_0730181858b2.thumb.jpg.3452d11c1eebab9f55ce7e2cb4b98c3a.jpg

After

0214191809.thumb.jpg.57229f9ba2dfb8f22f9b62f2a1744960.jpg

I’m so sorry you’re having so much trouble. I remember when I lost 8 over the course of a few weeks and I was devastated. As it turns out, I had a fire worm in my tank and it was wreaking havoc. 

Could there possibly be be something else going on in your tank like that? Mine succumbed quickly like yours in the same fashion. 

It just doesn’t make sense. Like you, every picture I’ve ever seen has them huddled together. All of mine are that way. I know several of yours are larger than mine and that those are the stinging ones so I suppose it’s a possibility but I just think you should investigate other possibilities. 

Thought I’d share this with my N-R friends too - posted this on IG today. There are 10 pics on the post. The last one shows all the babies I have in the nem box. 

• Like 4