ReefCleaners.org

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

2 hours ago, Newstead said:

Need some intel -or guesses- as to what is going on with my "special bouncy"  RFA (sounds better than my RFA  with a defective lump) Over the last couple of weeks it moved from the sand to settle down into the joint between 2 rocks. Friday I noticed it's mouth looked weird, but a bit later it was normal. Just saw that in the last 2 hours it crammed itself completely down between the rocks and it left behind a ring of brownish tissue where it had been. 

Any ideas? I do feed it 1 small piece of mysis or LRS 3 times a week - too often? Should I leave it where it is or try to force it to move back out?

20190201_160439.jpg

20190201_165505.thumb.jpg.78ab973425c0e716c2acfda628de9b70.jpg

20190203_165609.jpg

20190203_165535.jpg

They often slough off a ring like that especially if they’ve been in the same spot for a long time and then decide to move. 

Completely normal for a healthy nem! 

In fact, if you look under the skirt of some of your others you’ll see a bunch of loose tissue around the foot and that’s the same thing that just hasn’t come completely off yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a bunch, SeaFurn. This is my 1st and only RFA- wanted to see how one would do before going for a fancy, more expensive one.  Will just keep an eye on it and hope it moves back out in the open. 

10 minutes ago, Newstead said:

Thanks a bunch, SeaFurn. This is my 1st and only RFA- wanted to see how one would do before going for a fancy, more expensive one.  Will just keep an eye on it and hope it moves back out in the open. 

They like to wedge their foot into a rock that’s for sure. Once it does it will open back up. 

Don’t try to force it to move. 

I’ve got a couple that are wedged onto the back side of a rock that I can’t even see. Grrrr....

• Like 3

The ring is totally normal (I just remove them).  Its mouth like that is also a common behavior.

I'd leave it where it is.  Hopefully it will move again on its own.  Keep eye on it, but I wouldn't worry unless it starts to lose color.

Edit: Sorry guys, didn't see page 112 and SeaFurn's response.

• Thanks 1

My baby rock nem decided to move and talk to the neighbors.  It walked right into the acan colony.  I don't know yet who will win the battle yet.  however, I got 2 frags of the acans and a messed up rock nem... All of them in the sump :-)SMH

9004a51cf25d562e87fbf2d8dd1810870b8578cf-1S_1280.jpg

098492953a9bde7ec741fa549c2baf1d9e03c205-1S_1280.jpg

39d9278ffb1732b185b6fee59b0cc0c9fa210b63-1S_1280.jpg

259280557f93cc091b836b6ed268cef7afe00ce2-1S_1280.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
10 hours ago, ngvu1 said:

My baby rock nem decided to move and talk to the neighbors.  It walked right into the acan colony.  I don't know yet who will win the battle yet.  however, I got 2 frags of the acans and a messed up rock nem... All of them in the sump :-)SMH

I have another RFA that just looks like it's going to be gone by tomorrow or the next day

0204191719.thumb.jpg.49c78fec016ac16c20406570d7124f4e.jpg

This it the same one about a month ago 😞

And two baby's have disappeared don't know if there hiding or have dissolved

1261010466_10261817172.thumb.jpg.04b824cabcf2a86f110b53cce39d3424.jpg

• Sad 3
5 hours ago, ngvu1 said:

ReefFish,.  Do you have shrimps in the tank?  That rocknem is looking like it is dying from the inside out.....

No shrimp in the tank my first RFA was killed by a peppermint shrimp within a week.

Yeah it does look like it's coming apart from the inside out and it really sucks not being able to do anything to help it I've done the hole iodine thing and I think it just kills them faster.

I think there fighting/stinging each other for space until one moves or starts to die that's the only thing I can think is going on.

• Sad 1

20190208_132007.thumb.jpg.c52865f63f264eeb74c27311d48983a8.jpg

My new nems are here! I cleared all the corals off the rock that is now Rock Flower Island and dropped them all onto it. You can see the Aqua SD one at the very bottom of the shot (kinda, you can see his tentacles lol) below the orange one on the side of the rock. 11 for $200 shipped and a baby that crawled into their holding basket so 12 total - pretty darn good. We'll see how they settle in, they haven't been in for long, they seem to be stuck down to the rock but obviously will probably move to find spots they like best - I am hoping nobody gets into a fight with that Aqua SD one and they give it space/stay on top of the rock. As long as they don't die instantly I would say this is a GREAT deal for being u-pick RFAs.

• Like 4
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:47 PM, Kellie in CA said:

I've totally been wondering about this!  I always see pictures of RFA's touching, but I recently got a few of the "special collection" RFA's on AquaSD and they seem to be stinging my other RFA's.  One died, and another 2 lost a bunch of tenticles on the one side where they touched.  Luckily they have all now moved away from each other, but I didn't even know this was a possibility or I would have placed them far apart to begin with. 

I just wanted to check back in on this topic.  I ended up emailing AquaSD to ask about these RFA's.  About 5 minutes after hitting send a very nice man called me to discuss this issue.  He said that all of their RFA's come from the same place, some are just from deeper waters.  They are all shipped together in one container and are all touching each other.  He said it's possible that I just happened to receive one that is overly aggressive. 

So, who knows what happened!  Things have calmed down in my tank since the RFA's rearranged themselves, so hopefully it will remain peaceful. 

• Like 1
On 2/7/2019 at 12:58 AM, ngvu1 said:

259280557f93cc091b836b6ed268cef7afe00ce2-1S_1280.jpg

They both should recover in a few days. Mine tangle with some ricordia on occasion and it takes 2-3 days for everyone to recover. 

20 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

I just wanted to check back in on this topic.  I ended up emailing AquaSD to ask about these RFA's.  About 5 minutes after hitting send a very nice man called me to discuss this issue.  He said that all of their RFA's come from the same place, some are just from deeper waters.  They are all shipped together in one container and are all touching each other.  He said it's possible that I just happened to receive one that is overly aggressive. 

So, who knows what happened!  Things have calmed down in my tank since the RFA's rearranged themselves, so hopefully it will remain peaceful. 

So did he say if they have seen the same issue? It seems that if you got an overly aggressive one it would have been overly aggressive in their tank too.  

My overly aggressive ones just plow into the others and bully them out of the way. 

33 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

That's strange.  I had emailed AquaSD asking about where those "special" rfa's come from and they said that I was correct, they are not carribean rfa's but are from Pacific waters.  They look exactly like the Indonesian rfa's that were available a few years ago but he said they were not from there.  Vietnam would be my guess.  They may be from the same wholesaler but are not from the Carribean or anywhere near.

1 hour ago, Baldguy said:

Sounds like the deal from Anthony Rubio.  He's gotten some of my money too.  Nice rfa's!!

Yup they are from him! I think it's a great deal for the price, though customer service was not the best... he forgot to send them last week and I had to wait another haha. But he did include the baby that roamed into the basket and they are here now, so all's well that ends well.

Speaking of the special RFAs, mine just brushed tentacles with that small orange nem above it and they both instantly retracted. Doesn't appear to be any damage but they are certainly not cuddly like the Cari nems!

I love watching nems settle in and expand, find their crevices to plant their foot in, roam a bit... that big green and yellow one is the main mover so far and he doesn't care if he's crowding the little ones lol.

40 minutes ago, Wingsong said:

Yup they are from him! I think it's a great deal for the price, though customer service was not the best... he forgot to send them last week and I had to wait another haha. But he did include the baby that roamed into the basket and they are here now, so all's well that ends well.

Speaking of the special RFAs, mine just brushed tentacles with that small orange nem above it and they both instantly retracted. Doesn't appear to be any damage but they are certainly not cuddly like the Cari nems!

I love watching nems settle in and expand, find their crevices to plant their foot in, roam a bit... that big green and yellow one is the main mover so far and he doesn't care if he's crowding the little ones lol.

I've had several orders from him with no problems.  Ordered some of his higher end rfa's today that were not part of the 11 for $200 deal.

1 hour ago, Baldguy said:

I've had several orders from him with no problems.  Ordered some of his higher end rfa's today that were not part of the 11 for $200 deal.

Where is this 11 for $200 deal??

• Haha 1

All but two of my RFA's are 100% from the Florida keys but it seems that once they get bigger they don't like to touch each other and maybe their sting gets stronger as they grow to kill bigger foods?

I've seen some YouTube videos of RFA's being collected from the wild in the Florida keys and from what I see none where touching each other they all where spaced from one another

23 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

They both should recover in a few days. Mine tangle with some ricordia on occasion and it takes 2-3 days for everyone to recover. 

The acan and frags seem to be ok.  The nem is kicking the bucket...smh.  it is one of the biggest babies and actually looks ok

• Sad 3
3 hours ago, ReefFish said:

All but two of my RFA's are 100% from the Florida keys but it seems that once they get bigger they don't like to touch each other and maybe their sting gets stronger as they grow to kill bigger foods?

I've seen some YouTube videos of RFA's being collected from the wild in the Florida keys and from what I see none where touching each other they all where spaced from one another

How big are the ones that don’t touch? That’s interesting. I have several that are 3-3.5” (the largest I have) and still all nestled together. 

19 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

How big are the ones that don’t touch? That’s interesting. I have several that are 3-3.5” (the largest I have) and still all nestled together. 

About 4"

• Like 1