Pod Your Reef

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

6 hours ago, ReefFish said:

I've had three die within the last two months from going behind or under rocks and not getting light for weeks and then coming back out a fraction of there size and color and get shocked from the light and die within a week of moving back into the light

Unfortunately I've had that happen before too. :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!  So this is also unusual.  Tonight, she's having more babies.  There are dozens of RFA babies floating around again tonight (at least as many as yesterday). :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
6 hours ago, seabass said:

One of mine did that the other day. I only noticed because the clownish were parked in front of it eating them as fast as they came out. So I shooed them away and starting catching as many as I could. I put them in a jar and have been floating them for over a week. The ones I caught were the same as yours  - non-developed babies and I actually think they are just eggs that the nem was expelling for some reason. My clownfish don’t eat the actual babies on the sand (even the smallest ones) but with these “eggs” it was a feeding frenzy.  

Heres a video of a bunch of them I caught. 

Untitled

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
29 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

One of mine did that the other day. I only noticed because the clownish were parked in front of it eating them as fast as they came out. So I shooed them away and starting catching as many as I could. I put them in a jar and have been floating them for over a week. The ones I caught were the same as yours  - non-developed babies and I actually think they are just eggs that the nem was expelling for some reason. My clownfish don’t eat the actual babies on the sand (even the smallest ones) but with these “eggs” it was a feeding frenzy.  

Heres a video of a bunch of them I caught.

Thanks @SeaFurn, that might just be it (unfertilized eggs).  Makes sense to me.

Quick update on the Flower Farm. I moved a bunch of babies from the perils of the sand to the comfort and safety of a nem box from @Oceanbox Designs. It was a Christmas present and I really like it. 

Not sure how many babies are in there now (if you count them let me know!) but it’s probably only a quarter of the total in the tank. (So probably over 100 in the tank). The rest are on rocks or have attached themselves to the bottom glass and completely withdrew into the sand when I went grab them. If they are strong enough to do that I’m not too worried about them. 

So happy I’m going to get to vacuum the sand next water change. The algae is starting to take hold as I’ve not been disturbing it while the babies colored up and I could see them.

45925700124_dca113cb1d_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 7
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Quick update on the Flower Farm. I moved a bunch of babies from the perils of the sand to the comfort and safety of a nem box from @Oceanbox Designs. It was a Christmas present and I really like it. 

Not sure how many babies are in there now (if you count them let me know!) but it’s probably only a quarter of the total in the tank. (So probably over 100 in the tank). The rest are on rocks or have attached themselves to the bottom glass and completely withdrew into the sand when I went grab them. If they are strong enough to do that I’m not too worried about them. 

So happy I’m going to get to vacuum the sand next water change. The algae is starting to take hold as I’ve not been disturbing it while the babies colored up and I could see them.

Is that holder magnetic?? I really like that.

• Like 1
Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Is that holder magnetic?? I really like that.

Yes. 4 super strong magnets keep it place. Excellent build quality overall!

I got the 4”x4” one. There’s one slightly smaller.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
18 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Yes. 4 super strong magnets keep it place. Excellent build quality overall!

I got the 4”x4” one. There’s one slightly smaller.

After I asked that I just ended up going to the website lol. Their stuff looks really nice. Thanks for the shout out of them :smilie:

• Like 1

I've got a 16G tank with 3 frogspawn and I plan to get more Euphyllias.

Will the flower anemone and the euphyllias bother each other, or will the flower anemone will generally find a place where it won't sting and be stung?

Awesome thread!

Oceanbox Designs
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Wow look at that army of RFA babies! What an amazing experience for me to just seeing this happening. I'm so glad this Nem's Den finally served a great purpose!

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Muffin87 said:

Will the flower anemone and the euphyllias bother each other, or will the flower anemone will generally find a place where it won't sting and be stung?

Awesome thread!

An RFA will move around until it finds a spot it likes. But even then, one day you might find it scouting out the tank even though you’ve made no changes. 

I can’t say how they’d react with euphyillia but I have had mine nestle in with a bunch of palythoas and neither seemed to mind. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Oceanbox Designs said:

Wow look at that army of RFA babies! What an amazing experience for me to just seeing this happening. I'm so glad this Nem's Den finally served a great purpose!

Yeah, I love it. I hope I need two or 3 more of them!  Or I may just have you make a custom one for me depending on what I need. 

And I’ve got some time before I need to worry about this but I’m not sure how I’m gonna get them out of there when they all get bigger! 

• Like 3
skyscraper2290
6 hours ago, Muffin87 said:

Awesome thread!

One of my nems moved to the middle of my 4 hammers and hasn’t moved since so I would say you shouldn’t have to worry. In fact my other 2 nems are right around my hammers too so you should be good to go!

On 1/7/2019 at 12:52 PM, SeaFurn said:

Nice nem box full of baby RFA's 

You may need to cover the overflow / flow cutouts with some filter pads so they can't get out of the box.

You could also use one of those mesh breeder boxes if you need more room and they can't get out of those

Congrats on all the baby's

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ReefFish said:

Nice nem box full of baby RFA's 

You may need to cover the overflow / flow cutouts with some filter pads so they can't get out of the box.

You could also use one of those mesh breeder boxes if you need more room and they can't get out of those

Congrats on all the baby's

Thanks!

Yeah I noticed one of the wall climbing babies is making a run for it and getting close to those cutouts. Gonna have to do as you suggested but I’m a little concerned it will really cut down on the flow into the box. 

3 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Thanks!

Yeah I noticed one of the wall climbing babies is making a run for it and getting close to those cutouts. Gonna have to do as you suggested but I’m a little concerned it will really cut down on the flow into the box. 

I wonder if you could use something like a piece from a mesh filter media bag?  I'd think that wouldn't cut down flow too much?

This may seem like a weird question, but does anyone have a rock flower that's not round?

I got a new one a few days ago and the shape is a little odd.  At first I thought it as just squished up, but after observing it I have noticed that even when completely open one side is much smaller than the other.  It doesn't look to be sick or damaged in any way and the color is amazing.  

2 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

This may seem like a weird question, but does anyone have a rock flower that's not round?

I got a new one a few days ago and the shape is a little odd.  At first I thought it as just squished up, but after observing it I have noticed that even when completely open one side is much smaller than the other.  It doesn't look to be sick or damaged in any way and the color is amazing.  

Come on, show off the new nem 🙂

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

I've seen one like that once and it was because it was next to a coral that was singing it as it grew and one side grew slower than the other and when it was finally moved it stayed like that for about 4 to 5 months until the other side grew out

• Like 1

Off topic but still kind of not off topic is this a BAD or GOOD bristle worm??? Because I found it under a Rock Anemone that hasn't been doing good for a while now and today I noticed that it had a hole through its mouth to the side of its foot

0111191505a.jpg

0111191529.jpg

54 minutes ago, ReefFish said:

I've seen one like that once and it was because it was next to a coral that was singing it as it grew and one side grew slower than the other and when it was finally moved it stayed like that for about 4 to 5 months until the other side grew out

Ahhh, that makes sense.  I figured it would probably round out with time.

21 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

I’ve got one that is exactly as you describe and it doesn’t appear to be sick either. I’m always checking it but that’s just the way it is. The tentacles are noticeably shorter at that part too. 

• Like 1