SaltCritters.com

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

Yep, used as directed.

Siphon out as much cyano as you can before treating.  You'll also need good aeration.  Protein skimmers will go nuts with ChemiClean in the water.  I usually set them so that they cannot skim, but can still aerate the water (until the treatment is complete).  Then I just keep emptying the collection cup (over and over) until the madness stops.  You may need some fresh saltwater available to keep the water level from dropping too much.

Kellie in CA

I need some advice... my landlord just dropped on us that he sold our condo and we need to be out in 30 days. It will be a pain, but I've moved a tank before so I know how it's done. However, my RFA has situated itself in the sand bed and I assume is  anchored to the bottom glass. How do I handle this? 

I have a few weeks, do I try to get him to move? 

• Sad 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

That sucks sorry to hear :sad: If you dig them out gently they should be fine. I had to finesse him off the bottom of the tank but he ended up letting go. Just be gentle with him.

44 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

I need some advice... my landlord just dropped on us that he sold our condo and we need to be out in 30 days. It will be a pain, but I've moved a tank before so I know how it's done. However, my RFA has situated itself in the sand bed and I assume is  anchored to the bottom glass. How do I handle this? 

I have a few weeks, do I try to get him to move? 

It’s pretty easy. Brush all the sand from around it and then very gently and slowly slide a credit card underneath it. It will slowly loosen its hold of the glass. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ngvu1 said:

Some updates on the babies

Here are couple of mine that I posted on IG not long ago.  I think I have around 30 babies. 9 are super small. 

• Like 4

My anemone crab arrived! He's pretty awesome, already fanning the water.

When I've had to move one of my RFAs I use a paint brush, push it against the glass and slowly slide it under the nem, it's worked several times with no issues. 

20180803_163734.jpg

20180803_163749.jpg

20180803_163143.jpg

20180803_163149.jpg

20180803_163739.jpg

20180803_174524.jpg

20180803_163111.jpg

20180803_163805.jpg

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

New rock flower guys 😀 he isn't crazy colored but the pattern is so pretty. My wife picked him out this afternoon. I think she did pretty good 👍

IMG_20180804_192824_291.jpg

• Like 2

So just before the lights came on this afternoon, I saw a baby RFA (not the ric :wink:) caught in the holdfasts of some Caulerpa prolifera.

080818a.jpg

So I decided to check the filter.  Here's another baby.

080818b.jpg

I was able to carefully remove it from the filter.

080818c.jpg

My tank isn't currently that RFA baby friendly (too much flow), so my hopes for survival are fairly low.  Just curious, for you that have baby RFAs, what type of flow do you have?

1 hour ago, seabass said:

So just before the lights came on this afternoon, I saw a baby RFA (not the ric :wink:) caught in the holdfasts of some Caulerpa prolifera.

080818a.jpg

So I decided to check the filter.  Here's another baby.

080818b.jpg

I was able to carefully remove it from the filter.

080818c.jpg

My tank isn't currently that RFA baby friendly (too much flow), so my hopes for survival are fairly low.  Just curious, for you that have baby RFAs, what type of flow do you have?

Mine’s low to moderate but it can be since I don’t have many corals. 

(I set my new tank up for baby RFAs.)

Although lighting is probably more important, my thought is that the lower flow may let them grab hold of nutrients suspended in the water more so than if it’s whipping across them. They don’t have a lot of surface area when they are so small and buried in the sand as you know.  Just a theory.

Also, In my experience, I think that target feeding them daily (turn off the flow) increases the chances of them mostly staying in place and surviving. I realize that’s probably not practical for many people.

I assume that lower flow and no or limited filtration help both in breeding and in survival of the babies.  I imagine protein skimmers filter out the sperm, and mechanical filters (along with stronger flow) can capture the babies (as I pictured above).  Currently I'm running both a skimmer and mechanical filtration in my RFA tank, so I'm kind of surprised to find any babies.

• Like 1