ReefCleaners.org

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

Kellie in CA
19 minutes ago, mindstormer said:

It's a weird situation since the owner of the store knows me really well, he let me bag it myself and didn't even bother to check what it looked like under blues. He charged me 40 bucks for it which was a steal.

Yeah, you got a steal.  AquaSD has one up right now that's similar with the coloring split down the middle, it sold for $350.

• Wow 1

Hey guys, I have a question. I bought two beautiful rock flower anemones a week ago at reefapalooza. One of them had a beautiful light blue center with pink tentacles, and the other one had intense orange and yellow highlights. This was under their light. However, after bringing them home and having them in my tank for a week they don't look anything like they did in the vendor's tank. They look like they just have a dull center with orange tentacles. Is something wrong with my lighting or will they color up eventually? I have them under a AI Prime HD. It's a shame because they were so beautiful in the vendor's tank... ☹️

13 minutes ago, oceanboy said:

Hey guys, I have a question. I bought two beautiful rock flower anemones a week ago at reefapalooza. One of them had a beautiful light blue center with pink tentacles, and the other one had intense orange and yellow highlights. This was under their light. However, after bringing them home and having them in my tank for a week they don't look anything like they did in the vendor's tank. They look like they just have a dull center with orange tentacles. Is something wrong with my lighting or will they color up eventually? I have them under a AI Prime HD. It's a shame because they were so beautiful in the vendor's tank... ☹️

it's probably a mix of your light and the angle you are viewing them.  At reefapalooza, you were probably viewing them top down with very blue lights to intensify their color.  At home, you are probably viewing them under more white light and NOT top down.  You can try dialing in more blues on your AI Prime.  What kind of tank do you have?

1 minute ago, ninjamyst said:

it's probably a mix of your light and the angle you are viewing them.  At reefapalooza, you were probably viewing them top down with very blue lights to intensify their color.  At home, you are probably viewing them under more white light and NOT top down.  You can try dialing in more blues on your AI Prime.  What kind of tank do you have?

Yeah you're right, the vendors had them under really blue lights and we were looking from the surface. Right now they're in a 15 gallon aqueon tank but I purchased a 40g seaclear acrylic aquarium that I'm going to transfer everything to as an upgrade.

How high can I dial up the blues? Right now I have Royal Blue at 66%, Blue at 52%, and Cool White at 22%. Does the blue intensity have any impact on coral bleaching/algae growth from too much light? I know certain colors of the spectrum have less effect but I'm not sure how high I can turn up the blues.

15 hours ago, mindstormer said:

Just picked this guy up at my lfs. Anyone know how rare these weird morphs are?

Wow that’s awesome, super jealous. I believe Morphs like that are pretty rare. Looks like it’s got 3 different color patterns in one. $40 is a steal imo 

• Like 1

So somehow a small ricordea ended up on top of one of my green RFAs yesterday. The RFA was closed up pretty tight when I pulled the coral off of it but ever since it’s been mostly scrunched down and not really opening as seen in the picture. 

Would a tiny ricordea do that much damage to an fairly large RFA? How long until it shakes it off and opens up again? 

The ricordea isn’t looking good either. 

42299928975_0cde1db282_b.jpg

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
14 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

So somehow a small ricordea ended up on top of one of my green RFAs yesterday. The RFA was closed up pretty tight when I pulled the coral off of it but ever since it’s been mostly scrunched down and not really opening as seen in the picture. 

Would a tiny ricordea do that much damage to an fairly large RFA? How long until it shakes it off and opens up again? 

The ricordea isn’t looking good either. 

42299928975_0cde1db282_b.jpg

Wow I didn't even think that would happen...ricordias are that potent?

7 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Wow I didn't even think that would happen...ricordias are that potent?

I wouldn’t have thought so but the nem is acting like it got tagged really hard. 

It’s also strange because not more than 6 inches away I have two RFAs making a paly sandwich and no one seems to mind! 😂

42485582424_d735a2926c_b.jpg

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
5 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I wouldn’t have thought so but the nem is acting like it got tagged really hard. 

It’s also strange because not more than 6 inches away I have two RFAs making a paly sandwich and no one seems to mind! 😂

42485582424_d735a2926c_b.jpg

Wow keep us posted on the status..I'm very curious to see if they both pull through.

My guess, the RFA should be fine.  I'm thinking it will be back to its normal self tomorrow.  The ric might take a little longer to recover; but they are pretty tough too.  The question I have is, why did the ric release in the first place?

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
10 minutes ago, Gunbeaux said:

throwing my name in the hat to follow this might get into RFN's

I love them :-)

9 hours ago, seabass said:

My guess, the RFA should be fine.  I'm thinking it will be back to its normal self tomorrow.  The ric might take a little longer to recover; but they are pretty tough too.  The question I have is, why did the ric release in the first place?

Both are looking better...but not fully recovered yet. 

No idea how that ric got loose. I had just had the pumps off and maybe the sudden burst of flow when I turned them back caught it just right. 

Indiana Reefin

I am about to join the RFA club!! I have one coming tomorrow!! 

I have ave a question on the best practice for Aclimating to my tank. Should I just float the bag for an hour or so, or should I drop aclimate. I just floated my bag for my mini maxi and it did great! 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Indiana Reefin said:

Should I just float the bag for an hour or so

A half an hour should be adequate.  IME, they are not that sensitive to specific gravity changes.  I don't feel that drip acclimation is necessary.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, seabass said:

A half an hour should be adequate.  IME, they are not that sensitive to specific gravity changes.  I don't feel that drip acclimation is necessary.

I agree.

I float the bag for 10-20 min, shut off the flow, then place them on a rock or surface their foot can attach to.

I keep the flow off until it looks like they’ve attached. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Indiana Reefin said:

I am about to join the RFA club!! I have one coming tomorrow!! 

I have ave a question on the best practice for Aclimating to my tank. Should I just float the bag for an hour or so, or should I drop aclimate. I just floated my bag for my mini maxi and it did great! 

I did this per the sellers instruction on the website, had 20 but only 3 left Alive to this day...

• Wow 1
Indiana Reefin
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

I agree.

I float the bag for 10-20 min, shut off the flow, then place them on a rock or surface their foot can attach to.

I keep the flow off until it looks like they’ve attached. 

Thanks! 

Thats exactly what I did for my maxi. But I let him float for an hour. I heard it’s not good to drip acclimate if you get a coral that has shipped overnight. As soon as you open the bag Amonia will set in. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Indiana Reefin said:

As soon as you open the bag Amonia will set in.

Yep.  To be more precise, the ammonia is already present in the water, in the form of ammonium (due to the lower pH).  As pH rises with the exposure to air (reducing CO2 in the water), the ammonium converts to toxic free ammonia.  However, I don't think a healthy RFA would generate the amount of ammonia that a fish would.  So I wouldn't suspect that drip acclimation would be dangerous, just not normally required.

• Like 1
Indiana Reefin
8 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yep.  To be more precise, the ammonia is already present in the water, in the form of ammonium (due to the lower pH).  As pH rises with the exposure to air (reducing CO2 in the water), the ammonium converts to toxic free ammonia.  However, I don't think a healthy RFA would generate the amount of ammonia that a fish would.  So I wouldn't suspect that drip acclimation would be dangerous, just not normally required.

Thanks! Very interesting! 

Kellie in CA

Well, my RFA took a hike into a cave this weekend.  It's literally in the only spot in the tank where I can't see. it.  Hope it comes out at some point, it's one of the more expensive items in my tank!

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

Well, my RFA took a hike into a cave this weekend.  Hope it comes out at some point, it's one of the more expensive items in my tank!

Same with the one i have that's expensive...only one that moves around and likes to sandwich between some rock so I can't see it well lol. 

• Like 1
banasophia
2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Same with the one i have that's expensive...only one that moves around and likes to sandwich between some rock so I can't see it well lol. 

Same here... the ones I got from my LFS all stay put and are doing well, the more expensive one I ordered online wanders into caves and under corals that shade it... looks like it’s on its way out. 😞

• Sad 1

In my next tank, I'm going to make a concerted effort to avoid making any cave deep enough to allow an RFA to starve itself.

Oh, it seemed like a good idea at the time when I was setting up my first tank & scape... y'know to give the fish & other critters someplace to hide & reduce stress from the tank being right by the entryway into the living room.  But that one ~5" hole has caused ME plenty of stress in how much stuff simply hides there perpetually. 🙄