Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

This is a question for some experts of flower anemones. Why would one gradually over a couple months shrink in size?

Do you target feed it?

banasophia
On 5/24/2018 at 6:27 PM, ClutchKargo said:

So I've been reading through this thread learning many things and seeing many RFA's however I haven't seen anyone particularly address an issue I've had a couple of times now.

Why do Rock Flower Anemones "melt" and fall apart?  I just had one melt after it had been in the tank for about 3 weeks or so now. It was 1 of 4 healthy flowers I got from a great supplier and the other 3 are doing great. Today I was looking at them and noticed this one in question looked smaller I touched it carefully and it just fell apart and disappeared. I've also had a couple melt in the past as well for no apparent reason.

I just would like to understand what is behind this or is this just a possibility that can happen. I have about a dozen or so now but losing any one of them is not fun. 

Thanks!

Clutch

I’m not sure about RFAs actually melting like that, as I’m new to raising them myself, but the first time mine pooped, about 2 - 3 weeks after I got it, I thought it was melting. After calling my guy at my LFS he said not to worry, just check on it again in a couple hours, and thankfully it was fine and returned to normal.  I know that’s different from what happened to yours... so sorry yours didn’t make it... but I wanted to comment here in case anyone is searching rock flower melting or dying, so they can see if theirs might just be pooping like mine was. 

97492FCF-49DD-4A08-8A63-81168A2455A4.jpeg

B3700CD0-43AB-4DC3-BAA5-192F4F1C3A92.jpeg

Well, I'm no expert but these rocknems are doing a lot better and grow a lot faster if being fed. Assuming water condition is OK and nothing feed on them like peppermint shrimps....

4 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

This is a question for some experts of flower anemones. Why would one gradually over a couple months shrink in size?

I just had one succumb to that very thing after several months. It had gotten injured somehow-I never figured out how. It  covered its wounds but it also stopped eating. I always said it was on a hunger strike. After a couple months its tentacles had virtually disappeared and then a month or two later it stopped  fluorescing (not sure that’s a word) under the blue lights. It was hard to watch it deteriorate. A couple times I tried putting a food pellet into its mouth. I should have tried that sooner as it did seem to help and I thought it might turn around. Then I moved it to my new tank and that was probably too much stress for it and it died shortly thereafter. 

So l’ve only that happen to a nem that’s injured. 

50 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

How it started. 

D1575B4E-DEFF-4FF6-B180-8B8B5209C041.jpeg

Exactly how mine looked. Such a bummer. 

Only thing I can suggest is try getting a pellet into its mouth. I used a pippette. The pellet would stick to its oral disc then I’d gently slide it to the mouth and in. 

It may spit it out the first time. Mine did. Eventually it kept them in. 

3 hours ago, Indiana Reefin said:

How do rock flower anemones do with LEDs? I am debating on going with a rock flower dominant tank 

They do great. They don’t need need super bright lights IMO. Lighting for LPS is as bright as I’d suggest. 

I did just see something on YouTube where an entire trough of them were thriving under Radions at full blast. So not sure what that’s about. 

NanoreefingMP
4 hours ago, Indiana Reefin said:

How do rock flower anemones do with LEDs? I am debating on going with a rock flower dominant tank 

They do amazing under LEDs. I have a RFAs dominate tank you should check my build out 

A Little Blue

I purchased a couple last week and they seem to be doing fine but.......

Their behavior puzzles me a bit. 

One wedged itself under a rock and basicelu stays there all day and night. Seems like he is avoiding direct light. 

The other one shows quite opposite behavior. It seems to like direct light and likes to go for short walks (usually at night). 

My tank is bare bottom and mid2high flow in general. 

Could that be an issues? 

(I am aware that they prefer less flow and sand but there is nothing I can do about that due to other species in my tank that do better in higher flow and my setup to minimize detritus sediment)

This guy went deeper under that rock

905C83E6-929C-4A79-ACDC-D584430EFB05.thumb.jpeg.5418425ecfa272a8a97c50881f6c522d.jpeg

And this one goes for long walks around the tank

6D74AD53-8AFD-42C4-B029-D0623441996F.thumb.jpeg.33132a4f612e10c6435d16b425b1ea5e.jpeg

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I purchased a couple last week and they seem to be doing fine but.......

Their behavior puzzles me a bit. 

One wedged itself under a rock and basicelu stays there all day and night. Seems like he is avoiding direct light. 

The other one shows quite opposite behavior. It seems to like direct light and likes to go for short walks (usually at night). 

My tank is bare bottom and mid2high flow in general. 

Could that be an issues? 

(I am aware that they prefer less flow and sand but there is nothing I can do about that due to other species in my tank that do better in higher flow and my setup to minimize detritus sediment)

This guy went deeper under that rock

905C83E6-929C-4A79-ACDC-D584430EFB05.thumb.jpeg.5418425ecfa272a8a97c50881f6c522d.jpeg

And this one goes for long walks around the tank

6D74AD53-8AFD-42C4-B029-D0623441996F.thumb.jpeg.33132a4f612e10c6435d16b425b1ea5e.jpeg

Nice ones! They look great!

Wedging themselves in the rock like that is pretty typical and most of the time people are concerned that they won’t be getting enough light when tucked away like that. They don’t often mention it in terms of avoiding a lot of light. It will probably adjust itself so it’s getting enough light and if it doesn’t, as long as it continues to look that it’s fine.

They’ll move around the tank looking for a spot they like and I’d say the reason yours is moving is probably due to the flow rather than the bare bottom. Most of mine that are “on the sand” are actually attached to the bottom of the tank (the glass) and several of them also like to climb the glass walls. 

A Little Blue
13 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Nice ones! They look great!

Wedging themselves in the rock like that is pretty typical and most of the time people are concerned that they won’t be getting enough light when tucked away like that. They don’t often mention it in terms of avoiding a lot of light. It will probably adjust itself so it’s getting enough light and if it doesn’t, as long as it continues to look that it’s fine.

They’ll move around the tank looking for a spot they like and I’d say the reason yours is moving is probably due to the flow rather than the bare bottom. Most of mine that are “on the sand” are actually attached to the bottom of the tank (the glass) and several of them also like to climb the glass walls. 

Thanks

Will they adjust to flow or keep on looking for most desirable spot? 

3 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Thanks

Will they adjust to flow or keep on looking for most desirable spot? 

My guess is they’ll keep looking. I have a couple that don’t seem to mind a direct hit from the output nozzle flow and don’t move. Several others that were in the path of the same flow moved until the found a spot with less flow- and more often than not wedged them self into/under a rock. 

A Little Blue
16 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

My guess is they’ll keep looking. I have a couple that don’t seem to mind a direct hit from the output nozzle flow and don’t move. Several others that were in the path of the same flow moved until the found a spot with less flow- and more often than not wedged them self into/under a rock. 

The “walker” traveled about 12” last night and settled on far end of LR aquascape. It’s probably the least turbulent part of the tank. Fingers crossed. ??

• Like 1
NanoreefingMP
11 hours ago, ngvu1 said:

Did you have any tank raised tank bred rocknems?

Only ones that I got from other locals that had babies, but pretty sure all my store bought aren’t 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NanoreefingMP said:

Only ones that I got from other locals that had babies, but pretty sure all my store bought aren’t 

I have one that is like a dime size when open up now.  the rest is like 50-80% size of it.

A Little Blue

I have another question. 

Can Ricordea Yuma sting RFA? I have several of those and wonder what would happen if the “walker” settled near Yuma colony? 

On 5/24/2018 at 9:27 PM, ClutchKargo said:

So I've been reading through this thread learning many things and seeing many RFA's however I haven't seen anyone particularly address an issue I've had a couple of times now.

Why do Rock Flower Anemones "melt" and fall apart?  I just had one melt after it had been in the tank for about 3 weeks or so now. It was 1 of 4 healthy flowers I got from a great supplier and the other 3 are doing great. Today I was looking at them and noticed this one in question looked smaller I touched it carefully and it just fell apart and disappeared. I've also had a couple melt in the past as well for no apparent reason.

I just would like to understand what is behind this or is this just a possibility that can happen. I have about a dozen or so now but losing any one of them is not fun. 

Thanks!

Clutch

The only ones I’ve ever had just melt like that were ones that were new arrivals to my tank (from online vendors) after a day or two in the tank. I was told that if that happened then the RFAs probably hadn’t spent enough time acclimating in the vendors tanks before they were shipped to customers. 

There were no losses to our last shipment of 12 nems from @Got Corals . I know they let them acclimate for a good period of time before they start shipping them to customers. 

I’ve also not seen much documented in why they just melt. You should get them out of the tank right away when that happens so as not to affect the other nems. 

• Like 1
NanoreefingMP
4 hours ago, ngvu1 said:

I have one that is like a dime size when open up now.  the rest is like 50-80% size of it.

It will grow. I don’t have any that smalll. Smallest would probably be about the size of a 50 cent piece and biggest would be bigger than a dvd 

• Like 1
NanoreefingMP
12 hours ago, ngvu1 said:

Damn, bigger than a DVD.  That is like 6-7 inches in diameter.  My big one is only over 4 inches and I thought that was huge lol

You should check out my build thread. I have a rock flower dominant tank. Have some nice ones in it. You should check it out 

• Like 2