Top Shelf Aquatics

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

I have a bunch of baby rock nems but they are still small like 1/4 to 3/8 inch in diameter.  Not sure how many will make it.  I can't feed many of them due to their location/position in the tank.  This one is a bit bigger than 1/4 inch.

FB_IMG_1521644998179.jpg

• Like 4

If you can see it, you can feed it!  ;)

I use a 10ml oral syringe (free for the asking at any CVS/Walgreens/Rite-aid), about 12" of flexible airline tubing and about 14" of rigid airline tubing MacGyvered into something that looks like a ghetto version of Julian's Thing.  Put a 20-ish degree kink about 1.5" from the end that you intend to put into the tank and you can target feed practically anything.

IME baby RFAs starve incredibly quickly - they do much better with a very tiny amount of small-sized food (ground pellets, reef-roids, decap'd brine cysts or even nutramar) daily than the general once or twice a week feeding you can get away with for juvenile/adults. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Cintax said:

Looks like it is trying to blend in... :P

When RFAs spawn, can the resulting babies be of any colour?

Yes. I have a variety of colors in the 30+ babies I have in my tank. There does seem to be a predominance of red ones even though the mother is green (at least I think it's the mother).

• Like 1

I have 3 but I think the two that are spawning are the one in the picture above and my red  one.  When I bought it, it was light pink with white stripes.  However, it is red with black stripes now.  I can't take pictures of this one as it completely hides behind a rock. It is over 3 inches in diameter.  The babies I see are in three color patterns.  There are 2 here and 1 more type that is red with bright white rim or tentacles.  This type looks the best, but I don't know if they will make it :-)

3 minutes ago, ngvu1 said:

I have 3 but I think the two that are spawning are the one in the picture above and my red  one.  When I bought it, it was light pink with white stripes.  However, it is red with black stripes now.  I can't take pictures of this one as it completely hides behind a rock. It is over 3 inches in diameter.  The babies I see are in three color patterns.  There are 2 here and 1 more type that is red with bright white rim or tentacles.  This type looks the best, but I don't know if they will make it :-)

That is so cool. I love the colours they seem to come in.

I hope they make it, @BulkRate has a great idea for target feeding them.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic
7 hours ago, Cintax said:

Perhaps I should get some for my BTA aquarium. Are they compatible?

I've kept them with BTAs before without incident.  Obviously, give them some room apart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have one RFA that’s had its tentacles completely retracted for weeks now. It’s oral disk is shrunk up too. It won’t accept food and it’s just been in slow decline. 

Last week I tried to move it thinking it may act different in a different spot but it retracted into the rock and prying it off would have definitely damaged its foot. 

For those of you familiar with my thread, this is the RFA that was munched on by something (don’t know what and never caught any fireworms). It appears it’s injuries have healed. 

If I do nothing, I’m sure it won’t live much longer.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? 

• Sad 2

I do have a bunch of bristle worms in my tank and they don't even touch the baby rocknems.  The shrimps specially the peppermint shrimps are known to pick on rocknems. I don't know for sure but rock nems are very hardy.  Are you sure your water is good? Other corals and nems are happy?

7 hours ago, ngvu1 said:

I do have a bunch of bristle worms in my tank and they don't even touch the baby rocknems.  The shrimps specially the peppermint shrimps are known to pick on rocknems. I don't know for sure but rock nems are very hardy.  Are you sure your water is good? Other corals and nems are happy?

Yeah, the water parameters are fine and the other nems are thriving, including 30+ babies. 

I have a bunch of bristle worms too. The only thing they do is come out during feeding time and snag food right from the babies. Sometimes if I catch them, I feed them to the adult nems. 

I should have added that the ailing nem is in a good spot and it gets plenty of light and flow - and not too much as the one it rests against gets the same and it’s open, full and happy. 

I dont want to move the rock it’s on because there are 4 others on it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was just feeding my rfa some pellets, then blew sand into its mouth. Will anemones know not to eat the sand? Will anything bad happen if it does?

35 minutes ago, Squared said:

I was just feeding my rfa some pellets, then blew sand into its mouth. Will anemones know not to eat the sand? Will anything bad happen if it does?

Don't worry it will spit it out.  I accidentally dropped a bristle worm that was holding onto some sand onto one of mine one time. The RFA ate all of it....and spit the sand out later. 

• Thanks 1

^neat

These are my nems btw:

YG5CTqh.jpg

The stripey one has a weird shape but it seems to be slowly growing back into a disk (I can see new tissue). Must have been damaged before I got it.

• Like 5

First post here, falling in love with Rfas, currently have 12 of them.  Just got some from gotcorals.com, got great looking rfas, Sandy did a great job working out the order with me and shipping was packaged well and on time.  Totally recommend them if you want great service and great looking rfas.  Here is a pic of my rfas from my phone.

15253852825027252500791797963326.jpg

• Like 6
Kellie in CA

Where is the preferred place to buy these days?  Seemed like it used to be VIP, but it doesn't look like they have them anymore. 

The Got Corals ones look nice. 

25 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

Where is the preferred place to buy these days?  Seemed like it used to be VIP, but it doesn't look like they have them anymore. 

The Got Corals ones look nice. 

I got some nice ones from VIP back in Feb but it seems like it’s been slim pickens since. 

Heard great things about Got Corals and Sandy has been very helpful to me even though I haven’t got any from them yet. I definitely plan to get some from them soon. 

I’ve also heard good things about Austin Aqua Farms.

Kush Corals always has some nice looking ones but I don’t know much about them. 

• Like 1

It was my first time ordering coral online, I messaged gotcorals on facebook and Sandy was very helpful answering questions, definitely had a great experience and recommend.

• Like 2
ChristopherDido
2 hours ago, Dos Ocho said:

My modest RFA garden. Not the most exotic colors, but I dig ‘em!

C234EEEE-6B88-4F3E-AB9A-BC2DA3388F40.jpeg

Looks like an oasis in the middle of a desert with those macros! Love it!

• Thanks 1
ClutchKargo

I've been looking through this thread for a couple of days now and have seen so many amazing RHA's it's unbelievable. However I'm still uncertain what is considered the most rare color and or color combinations.

I know a lot is personal preference but with the wealth of knowledge here and everyones experience what are the rarest colors and color combinations seen and desired. Also does the pattern make a difference as well like striping, multiple colors, tentacle colors?

I see Gold tentacles being mentioned as rare which are pretty but don't pop as much as some of the other colors. 

Thanks! 

• Like 2