inTank Media Baskets

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

ChristopherDido

Edit update: I literally just found it... Now the next issue, how the hell to get it... Any ideas on how to get it away from a Pom-Pom Crab? I was able to get just enough light down into his hole under my "big" rock. He has it in his hands haha... I'm hoping he is not trying to use it as his Pom-Pom, although that would be hilarious don't think the RFA would live. I'm thinking he thinks it's food.

• Wow 1
1 minute ago, BulkRate said:

The trick is for them to find 2, or they might try to frag the rfa.  Which would be bad.

I'll just put this here: :)

20180115_224839.jpg

Oh no way!!

Will he ever put them down?? 

ChristopherDido
14 minutes ago, BulkRate said:

The trick is for them to find 2, or they might try to frag the rfa.  Which would be bad.

I'll just put this here: :)

20180115_224839.jpg

That is crazy! Not sure I wanna try to get a second one and pay $60 for a Pom-Pom Crab's Pom-Pom fetish lol. Seriously that's cool though. I'm about to go fishing out the rocks in my Pico and try to get him to drop it and grab it. This should be fun! :-/

Seafurn- That crab's been holding those for the last week or so.  I'm suprised that they're open, and seem to be enjoying the ride.  Time will tell if they get enough food & light to grow.

ChristopherDido - those are baby rfas that it's gotten it's mitts on, so free. ;)  I have a bunch and they're a welcome substitute for the stronger stinging ones a pom pom usually is packing.

• Like 3
ChristopherDido
14 hours ago, BulkRate said:

Seafurn- That crab's been holding those for the last week or so.  I'm suprised that they're open, and seem to be enjoying the ride.  Time will tell if they get enough food & light to grow.

ChristopherDido - those are baby rfas that it's gotten it's mitts on, so free. ;)  I have a bunch and they're a welcome substitute for the stronger stinging ones a pom pom usually is packing.

So as an update, last night when lights went out, I turned off all lights in the house. Pom-Pom Crab came out of his hole, he left the RFA in there it was upside down and the bottom was a bright red. I managed very carefully to blow it out of the hole and was able to retrieve it. Attempted to put it in the larger aquarium and it still did not attach :-( I noticed this time when pulling it out it was beginning to slough off skin. Going to go to LFS today and see what they can or will do for me. Thanks for all the help and for your awesome pics of a Pom-Pom Crab using baby RFAs!

• Like 1

Ahhh... that's a bummer.

Usually a healthy rock flower anenome can stick its foot to a surface within 10 minutes or less.

Good luck on getting a replacement.

• Like 1
ChristopherDido
34 minutes ago, tofer said:

Couple of updated pics of my 3 RFA 

Nice looking happy! Is the second one in those shots black and pink? 

I have a new tank that completed the cycle two weeks ago.  I introduced two RFA's on Saturday night.  Sunday they had found a new spot at the back of the tank but Monday morning one was half buried under live rock with the other one next to it.  No light hitting either one.  

I rearranged the live rock just now and was able to remove them from their previous spot.  They love to grab my hand when I'm moving them but their feet don't seem to want to grab the live rock.  I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to get them to grab on or if I should bring them back to the lfs if they keep relocating to spots with no light.  Maybe they just don't like the new tank?  

Ammonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 10-20?  (api kit and difficult to read)

PH - 8 

Just turned pumps back on after 30 minutes and both of them flipped over immediately.  Running stock pump on biocube 29 and hydor 600.  

Were they attached Sunday when you found them? They will move until they find a spot they like. They don't usually love a TON of direct light. I'd put them in a small container with some small pieces of LR that they can attach to. Make sure they container will allow water to circulate but not blow them out of it.

On Sunday they were just sitting on top of the sand, not attached.  Even yesterday/today the larger of the two wasn't attached, just sitting on the sand next to his buddy.

Thanks for the tip, I can drill some holes into a small container.  Just need to figure out the live rock part but I think I may have a few small pieces or maybe can chip some off.

This is the guy that is always the first one to move.  His buddy is larger and seems to always stay put for longer.  

I had to rip apart the rock work again to get him and even after I put him in the container he got out twice. It seems to go flat and float out of spaces it doesn't like.  He's stayed in for about 15-20 minutes now but he's moving around in there.  If he figures out how to get out again should I use the actual lid from the container to keep him in or just give up and take him back to lfs at that point?  The green guy is way less of an issue, he hasn't moved since going into the container.  

The shelf rock on top is to give shade, doesn't do much to prevent escapes unfortunately.  

IMG_1090.JPG

52 minutes ago, kups said:

This is the guy that is always the first one to move.  His buddy is larger and seems to always stay put for longer.  

I had to rip apart the rock work again to get him and even after I put him in the container he got out twice. It seems to go flat and float out of spaces it doesn't like.  He's stayed in for about 15-20 minutes now but he's moving around in there.  If he figures out how to get out again should I use the actual lid from the container to keep him in or just give up and take him back to lfs at that point?  The green guy is way less of an issue, he hasn't moved since going into the container.  

The shelf rock on top is to give shade, doesn't do much to prevent escapes unfortunately.  

IMG_1090.JPG

I wouldn't keep it trapped in a container.

These things are gonna move at some point, for one reason or another, and not always into ideal locations for you or themselves.

If that's bothersome to you these might be better back at the LFS for someone else to enjoy. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

I wouldn't keep it trapped in a container.

These things are gonna move at some point, for one reason or another, and not always into ideal locations for you or themselves.

If that's bothersome to you these might be better back at the LFS for someone else to enjoy. 

If I let it out and it buries itself under the rock work again how long do I give it before going after it?  Will they typically adjust to a better spot in time?  

I'm definitely not comfortable ripping apart my rock work every other day for these guys.

34 minutes ago, kups said:

If I let it out and it buries itself under the rock work again how long do I give it before going after it?  Will they typically adjust to a better spot in time?  

I'm definitely not comfortable ripping apart my rock work every other day for these guys.

They generally move to find spots they like. I recently slightly moved the position of a rock during a water change (not my intent) and so that changed the flow in the tank and the next morning I found 2 of mine had moved overnight. They haven't moved since. 

They won't deteriorate over night if they end up in a shady spot. It would take several weeks.

You'd just want to keep your eye on them and make sure they they are doing well (not closed, tentacles inflated, etc). 

Do you have a small piece of rubble? Several of mine like to congregate around a small rock. (The 4 below)

28342289559_40a70c5f99_b.jpg

If you do have a piece of rubble or small rock, turn off the pump and put the nem next to the rubble in a spot that has lower flow and see if it will nestle up to the small rock. When it does, turn the pump back on. 

You definitely don't want to keep moving them. You're likely to damage its foot and then it's all over for the nem. Also, once they get wedged deep in a rock it's gonna be tough if not impossible to get it off. 

• Like 4

I can try and break off a piece as I don't have any small rubble pieces.  I'll have to try to figure something out for flow, maybe one last change of the rock work as the return is directed to the surface and powerhead at the return.  Nothing is pointed at them.  

Worst case back to the lfs for them and try again in 3-4 months once tank and myself have matured.  

• 1 month later...

A weird thing happened last night . Came home from work and noticed cleaner shrimp molted the molt was in the back of the cave where my one RFA is on the sand bed . I wanted to eat  dinner before I got the molt out as I have done in the past . I go upstairs where the tank is  and I see only the  molt antenna stick out of the RFA The anemone kinda bunched itself up but was still open just smaller .  Has anyone ever seen this happen before ? 

3 hours ago, tofer said:

A weird thing happened last night . Came home from work and noticed cleaner shrimp molted the molt was in the back of the cave where my one RFA is on the sand bed . I wanted to eat  dinner before I got the molt out as I have done in the past . I go upstairs where the tank is  and I see only the  molt antenna stick out of the RFA The anemone kinda bunched itself up but was still open just smaller .  Has anyone ever seen this happen before ? 

Yep...I was pulling a porcelain crab molt one time and the claw I was holding onto broke off and the rest of the molt fell right onto an RFA and it devoured it! I was a little worried about it but was reassured everything would be fine...and it was. 

• Like 1

Ever wonder how nems get little sand pieces off their oral discs? I just watch one of mine do it. First it tipped itself on an angle. Then it made a little bubble (think pimple) directly under the sand piece until the sand piece rolled off of it down the slope it created. Then it did it again and again and again until the piece rolled completely off it. Took it about 10 min. The darker spot you see below/near the white sand piece is the little bubble it created - kinda hard to see the raised dimension of it. 

38925706680_2fdeacf369_b.jpg

• Like 3
On 11/2/2017 at 6:49 PM, seabass said:

No they sometimes let go and let themselves drift in the current, but I've never noticed one intentionally flipping upside down.  They can walk if they wish to move.

anemone.gif

Joining the walk on the glass club! 

Should have tried to get a time lapse - it was pretty cool. 

38980689150_49bf43cb45_b.jpg

• Like 4
4 hours ago, ngvu1 said:

I am joining the club :-);  87 pages to read and I got like 3 now....

Cool! For a creature that pretty much just sits there they interesting in their own way - and amazingly colorful under the blue lights. Post a picture of them!

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic