SaltCritters.com

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

1 hour ago, tofer said:

Maybe it started to move and the current moved on its disk . I decide to keep the powerheads off for the night  and really let it settle on a spot.

I'm sure you know that you need some flow or your tank will crash.

It looks healthy to me. 

In the second picture it looks like it's under the rock and not getting much light. Keep your eye on it if it stays under there. 

They need light...not a huge amount but its health could deteriorate if it doesn't get enough.

There are some posts above or in earlier pages about a member who also had one hiding in the shadows. 

I think I read that your tank has been up and running for 4 months. As long as your parameters are stable and in check you shouldn't have a problem keeping the RFA. 

• Like 3

They're pretty good, and yes the multi packs are pretty much the way to go when stocking up like you're planning, unless you see something in their WYSIWYG section that you've just gotta have.  I have a nice green/purple disc'd one that I got surplus off of Seafurn's last order that's waaay nicer than most of what I've been able to find locally.

My only real gripe is that they don't show the bulk of their inventory on their website, and almost all of their specials only get called out on Facebook.  But that's just because I'm practically a digital-age hermit & don't book face. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks. I never see anything local besides basic red/white for $40+. I’ll prolly go with the larger pack just to get a bit more variety then sell off some other stuff. 

18 hours ago, Newtothehobby said:

It has stayed under the rock and has moved further under is there any thing I can do.

Just keep your eye on it to make sure it doesn't look like it's deteriorating. It will be fine for awhile. 

You want to try to avoid moving it yourself. Their foot can get damaged in the process. Better would be to move/reposition the rock it's on so that it gets light. 

4 hours ago, HiImSean said:

Has anyone ordered RFA from VIP Reef? I’m going to be setting up a RFA only tank and was thinking of getting an assorted packs from them. I was just wondering how their variety from the pack is. Are there decent patterned/colored RFA? 

http://www.vipreef.com/rock-anemones/

Ditto what Bulkrate said. 

Highly recommend VIP. 

If you check out my contest tank thread you'll see the quality and variety you get with their RFA Packs. 

• Like 4

Thanks Seafurn! Your tank is pretty much what I’m aiming for but smaller. Prolly go with something in the 3-5g range like this

How large are yours? The only RFA I have in my 90g is about 5” in diameter. 

• Like 1

BTW... couple of tips on the ordering side:

1.  If you already have a few rock flowers, describe them in the order notes or contact VIP with the order number after buying.  More often than not Frank's been known to skew your pack's mix towards stuff you say you're looking for or that will complement the colors/patterns you already have.  In an rfa-centric tank, I'd be almost be looking more at collecting nems exhibiting unique traits rather than just particularly "uber/ultra/deepwater" ones, so as to provide the most diversity once they start reproducing.

2.  Don't hesitate to drop that you're active on Nano-Reef.  A whole lotta biz for that vendor come from here.  ;)  

On 11/8/2017 at 4:14 PM, HiImSean said:

How large are yours? The only RFA I have in my 90g is about 5” in diameter. 

My largest ones are around 3" in diameter. I know one of those is a female. They are all young and still growing. Here's a pic of the tank from earlier today. 

IMG_1169.thumb.JPG.64f485d981f186d8c7297a7e4f0536e7.JPG

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Newtothehobby said:

Does anyone know how many RFA I can keep in a ten gallon it would only be the nems a mushroom coral frag and a colt leather coral.

I would think something like a half a dozen.

Newtothehobby

My current RFA is hiding on a crevice in my rock structure. I have tried rotating the rock but it does not help at all . Is there anything I can do. It is not getting any light I have called the store I bought it from and they say “ it is probably getting more light than you think, just let it be” I do not want to let it be if it means letting the poor thing die. I have stable water conditions I am not sure what they are exactly as my lfs tests it (not the store I bought my RFA from) I trust this store very much and all I can remember from my last test 2 days ago was that everything was in line. All other livestock is exsept the RFA and one of my colt coral frags.

if possible, reorient the rock so that the RFA is on the top (receiving some light).  Also, if possible, target feed the tentacles some flake food twice a week.

On 11/11/2017 at 8:36 PM, Newtothehobby said:

Does anyone know how many RFA I can keep in a ten gallon it would only be the nems a mushroom coral frag and a colt leather coral.

On 11/11/2017 at 9:45 PM, seabass said:

I would think something like a half a dozen.

I have 16 in my IM 10. But they are all of varying sizes from 3 inches to dime sized. I think I'm pushing it.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
On 11/22/2017 at 4:27 PM, kimberbee said:

I have 16 in my IM 10. But they are all of varying sizes from 3 inches to dime sized. I think I'm pushing it.

can we see some pics??  (i nano-reef on my mobile only so i can't see if you have links to this tank in your sig or not)

since my IM10 has seemed to settle in nicely (almost a year) i've been thinking about starting a 5 gal RFA tank for while now...

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic