Cultivated Reef

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

If there's anyone else from Jersey that would like to split the shipping and go into the group by with me, I'm all ears =)

Hey Hypo, is there anyone you know that would like to get in on this order? Or you could try asking your reef clubs i'm sure you could find some interest there.

-Tim

Don't mean to derail you guys but I have to show off the new rock flower I just got from ReefCorner

D64B3303-D9ED-4148-9B8C-388BDFC22C60_zps

Yes, it really is purple and green! So excited I found this.

• Like 6

very cool rock flower.

Guys, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm broke, from spending all my money on the 60g and rock flowers, I'd had bought more rock flowers. I know, you'd think this was the one time I would for sure. Well, w/ my ATO stopping I have to look into that before anything and my card is maxed- enough room for if I need new tires or brakes or something.

Wish I could help. Sorry.

I want to get more so badly but can't make the minimum number.... :( Will try to live vicariously thru you all when you get your orders, post pictures and I go deeper into depression...

I SLOWLY poke the base and peel it from the rock. Once the seal around the edge is broken they peel off pretty quickly and easily. You shouln't have to force it, or you'll risk injuring it.

I cut mine off the rock and in half and hope they heal....hasn't happened yet..... :blink:

Umm yeah, it might not heal. These guys don't split like other nems. You can't propagate them by cutting them in half from what I understand

update: so the base of the nem is tucked under my rocks, maybe in a crevice. I did poke it and it has shrivelled up into a very little ball. If I covered it with sand or a small rock, would it move to be in a better location?

yeah for nems whose foots are in crevices which you cannot access, I typically cover them with something opaque (like a rock) that'll block out their light and disturb them. They'll usually attach onto the new rock. If there's a little crack that they can squeeze through and get light they typically won't detach.

Umm yeah, it might not heal. These guys don't split like other nems. You can't propagate them by cutting them in half from what I understand

Lol. Yeah. I was just kidding. Have heard about people trying this but never have done it myself. Of course I have to get more the old fashioned way....by throwing money at someone, but my pockets are empty right now.

Yeah, that's why I haven't moved a couple that are still in my 34, I want them in the 60 but I might have to use the big tool that cuts rock to get it out. This was before I ever had a thought about the rock flower breeding tank. So now I know, next time I really love it, put it on the sand so I can use a credit card underneath to move it if need be.

I have new pics on my thread just now.

I need to move mine into the sand. They are in spots I don't like :( Maybe I'll try putting a rock over them.

In the past I chiseled them off a rock before. Breaking the rock they were on but I don't want to destroy the scape this time.

. So now I know, next time I really love it, put it on the sand ...

Will they stay in sandy areas or will they walk over to a rock? I'm having issues with mine backing up into the rocks and being hard to direct food to them.

If they are on the sand, do they need to be able to reach all the way to the bottom?

They don't have to but they will if they can to feel more secure. They will reach down if they're big enough, I can tell you that in an inch of sand even, the small ones at an inch big can still reach down. The ones I placed in the sand have moved around & spaced out a little, and I want to coral them back to the center so they don't reach the rocks I've put on the outskirts. One did reach it so I just let it go. I may end up removing the rocks altogether in that tank though.

I put frozen food thawed in the tweezers and put it on the end of their skirt & they just roll it up.

They don't have to but they will if they can to feel more secure. They will reach down if they're big enough, I can tell you that in an inch of sand even, the small ones at an inch big can still reach down. The ones I placed in the sand have moved around & spaced out a little, and I want to coral them back to the center so they don't reach the rocks I've put on the outskirts. One did reach it so I just let it go. I may end up removing the rocks altogether in that tank though.

I put frozen food thawed in the tweezers and put it on the end of their skirt & they just roll it up.

I need to start figuring out where to put 5 new ones coming in next week. My Nuvo 8 already has 3, so these are probably going in my 28G Should be interesting to see where they decide to put themselves. I'm trying to figure out if i put them

1. in the sand
  2. where the rock and sand meet
  3. up in the rock - off the ground

Mine get mysis shrimp and seem to love it. My largest one always seems to get 3 or 4 a day. It's probably why it's getting to be a monster. He has a very strong 'grab' response whenever food touches the tentacles. The others are much slower.

• Like 1

Plainrt just posted his in the group chat, hopefully he chimes in here too!

Tell him to get his butt in here omgomgomg

I want some EYE candy!!

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic