Jump to content
Mirya

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Recommended Posts

sure, I don't see a problem with it at all

why not start with a few prize ones?

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, revolution1925 said:

Thanxs! Average size of adults? 

 

Do u think that 5 of them gona fit in my tank somehow? 

I believe they can get to be a good 6 inches or so as adults.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I live in greece and our shops dont have nems. We rarely find good corals also. 

 

I am lucky enough that i find this pack of 5 from germany. They cost about 50euros each. I dont know how much u guys pay for nems, but in here i think is good price. 

 

This is the photo of the nems that the shop sent me. What do u think? 

 

 

20170724_183848.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, revolution1925 said:

I live in greece and our shops dont have nems. We rarely find good corals also. 

 

I am lucky enough that i find this pack of 5 from germany. They cost about 50euros each. I dont know how much u guys pay for nems, but in here i think is good price. 

 

This is the photo of the nems that the shop sent me. What do u think? 

 

 

20170724_183848.jpg

Those look very nice.

Prices here in the US vary widely. Common ones can be as low as $20 USD and I've seen Ultra ones well over $100 USD (not including shipping charges).

Share this post


Link to post

My orange colored RFA pictured here spends most of its time like this - in a mushroom shape. My others usually look like the green one - flat and open.

It does open up sometimes and it has never moved so I don't think anything is wrong - it's just weird compared to the others.

Does anyone else's do this? Is it normal? 

IMG_0161.PNG.e5a71713738efc443765367ad4bf8e9a.PNG

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

My orange colored RFA pictured here spends most of its time like this - in a mushroom shape. My others usually look like the green one - flat and open.

It does open up sometimes and it has never moved so I don't think anything is wrong - it's just weird compared to the others.

Does anyone else's do this? Is it normal? 

IMG_0161.PNG.e5a71713738efc443765367ad4bf8e9a.PNG

 

 

 

My RFA is a different shape every other day. lol.  Sometimes it's a mushroom, sometimes it's flat, sometimes it's walking all over the reef.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/19/2017 at 10:54 PM, reefhound said:

Some nice ones! How big is the tank? What i mean is.... you can't "just" have 3

How long to grow them to the size of a quarter? It's a lot of frickin work.. but there is no info on growth rates

I don't know, I still haven't grown mine to a quarter, it's been since Thanksgiving.  Dime size only for me right now and it depends on the flower.  I have most that are smaller than that.

 

Share this post


Link to post

The juvenile nems in the pics were born about a year ago.  I'd say it took 3-4 months to get them to dime-sized, with small daily targeted feeding with cyclops and very finely chopped LRS nano.

 

They're between the size of a quarter to 50-cent piece now.597a0236b18dd_anemones7-16-2017-1.thumb.jpg.58c0cc49a94ee1ec2119225e478cd8b7.jpg

 

597a02a935351_anemones7-16-2017-2.thumb.jpg.874450205234d502d8cbb3878503a618.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

How old before they start to show their colors?

Share this post


Link to post

 

And another question:

How well can an RFA defend against a monti?  The sunset monti at the top is advancing quickly, and I'd rather rasp off its leading edge than endanger the little RFA, but only if necessary...

250sh1s.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Keep in mind anemones can move a LOT faster than a monti.  If it starts getting stung it should shuffle for it.  Or as I've seen with my blastos and one of my favorite RFA's, stand its ground and the two will sting each other ragged over a week.  :/

 

As for when they start showing colors/patterns?  All over the place from what I've personally seen with mine, but generally you should have a good idea of general colors within the first month.  Subtleties like patterns and gradient-style coloring start showing within 3-6 months on average.  But everything in the earlier pics really just became a lot more pronounced in the last couple of months.  So if you're planning to sell/trade/keep some that show up I'd suggest hanging onto them for at least 7 to 8 months or so to know what you've got.  Plus the tiny, tiny baby anemones can/will disappear in a heartbeat.  Once they get big enough to take normal-sized chow and hang on in flow they tend to be tougher like the ones you buy in stores. 

 

I'm also finding that my lighting may not be all that, so some of the timelines may be way different in better-lit setups out there.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I have an acrylic tray that I but newborns in.. it's covered, has slits cut in it.

Bulkrate is correct, they will vanish without a trace unless protected. after a month or two of feeding they will go in their own tank

also, 95% of mine have been born with color and snow white tentacles that brown up after a few days

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

some of mine have color when they come out others come out all white & then gain some color over the next 1-2 weeks by then I can tell what the base color will be mostly orange green tan yellowish ect. None of mine are really showing any pattern yet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

some of mine have color when they come out others come out all white & then gain some color over the next 1-2 weeks by then I can tell what the base color will be mostly orange green tan yellowish ect. None of mine are really showing any pattern yet.

it took 2 months on mine before the biggest ones started showing slight variations

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Ok tomorow i will get my flower nems. Should i dip them with something? Or Just put them in the tank?  Is there a method that i need to  follow? 

Share this post


Link to post

Put them on top of a styrofoam lid or something, let them purge their water for a few minutes, then put them in.  Don't dip.  

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, FlowerMama said:

Put them on top of a styrofoam lid or something, let them purge their water for a few minutes, then put them in.  Don't dip.  

Thanxs! Cant wait to get them. Photos soon!! 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm really impressed with the pics that people are posting.  However, many of the pics are very blue (possibly due to LEDs and/or camera phones).  I wish I could see how they look in person, under a "typical" light spectrum.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'm really impressed with the pics that people are posting.  However, many of the pics are very blue (possibly due to LEDs and/or camera phones).  I wish I could see how they look in person, under a "typical" light spectrum.

zkpDnT1h.jpg

 

here is a quick photo with only white lights just to show u how they look! the blue is like the ''typical'' spectrum for me as  i run mostly blue beacause i think that blue promote color. i am new to the hobby so what i am saying is what i see in my own tank!  Blue or whites this little nems are beautiful believe me! :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for posting that!  I really like seeing how they look under natural light.  Nice picture!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The answer might be in the tread somewhere but it is 78 pages long!

I am thinking of getting RFA:s for my still cycling 12g.
How mature should the tank be before I should consider adding them?
What tank mates/corals should I avoid getting if I want to have RFA further on?
The ones I can get right now are single specimens that are ridiculously expensive or an very affordable rock like the one below.

Could that work, I mean there are 15 of them and will probably grow out of my tank rather soon right?


rfa1.thumb.jpg.d60e8516fee2d3e1f1632d8eb383e611.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

They're pretty, but those are not rock flower anemones.  Probably palythoas (possibly zoanthids).

 

To answer your question, RFAs really don't need mature tanks (neither do palythoas).  They will, however, benefit from some nutrients in the tank.

Share this post


Link to post

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions

×