Cultivated Reef

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

Michael_Price

Ok ok ok. I have been following this thread for weeks. Where can I find some of these for a fair price? I need these! All of yall's pictures are making me jealous. :o I'm in Houston Texas, I have not seen any in local LFS. I'll most likely have to get some online.

Ok ok ok. I have been following this thread for weeks. Where can I find some of these for a fair price? I need these! All of yall's pictures are making me jealous. :o I'm in Houston Texas, I have not seen any in local LFS. I'll most likely have to get some online.

VIPReef.com is a sponsor here and the best place to get them online

• Like 2
Michael_Price

VIPReef.com is a sponsor here and the best place to get them online

Wow great prices, $19.99 and up for good looking ones too.... I might have some pictures to post here my self soon enough. Where's my tax return at? :lol:

Austin aqua farms had some nice ones on sale

Hi there, Check out our website. www.gotcorals.com

We were just in Houston for a show in December... BrewFest.. We actually sold out of all our rock nems..

Hope to see you out there...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2017 at 11:19 AM, Shoob1e said:

finally got my first one this weekend, nothing specail its sitting in my nem box but where do you guys get these insane looking ones?

Got Corals!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, shaneandjohn said:

We got our first RFA's yesterday and We got some great color variety!

@VIPReef did a fantastic job!!  Great communication and superb packaging..They will have a returning customer?

Thanks for the update! Enjoy your babies!

Those of you that were ordering V2O Nano Soft Freeze from us we are sad to say they have have discontinued this product line. A wonderful replacement to feed baby RFA's will be Nutramar Ova. Gotta say this is first frozen food I've ever seen wild Green Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus) take with no issues. We carry the food in stock and can be added to any livestock purchase.

Nutramar-Ova-Fish-Food-100g-99.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Had the 1st couple of baby nems pop out of one of the two females this afternoon.  Likely from the spawn that happened 7-ish weeks ago.  Could be all that come, or could be the start of a 2-day 30-odd swarm.  Both have happened at one point or another over the past year.

BIG ones this time around... about the size of a pea instead of the more usual grain-of-rice ones.  I wonder what triggers the longer gestation?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BulkRate said:

Had the 1st couple of baby nems pop out of one of the two females this afternoon.  Likely from the spawn that happened 7-ish weeks ago.  Could be all that come, or could be the start of a 2-day 30-odd swarm.  Both have happened at one point or another over the past year.

BIG ones this time around... about the size of a pea instead of the more usual grain-of-rice ones.  I wonder what triggers the longer gestation?

I don't know what causes smaller vs. bigger.  I had two that I never saw before and they were just about 1/4", of course they moved somewhere and I don't know where they went.  I only have seen a couple the last couple days and I know my males spawned like twice in Dec and January and I'm still waiting on Dec females to birth.  I think maybe they haven't as it'd been a while that I did a water change and I think I had a couple leathers at war.  We'll see if it helped.  But I'm like you.  I want to know what makes them grow larger.  Regardless few or many it's still so damn exciting!!

• 2 weeks later...

Got my beautiful baby nems this morning - really regretting the decision to get 5 instead of 10, now!

Anyways. Here's the goodies, under photo mode lighting and then under normal lighting:

32750897294_8aa00824e8_n.jpg   32779580033_422a273b46_n.jpg

33437013632_4e942e6e22_n.jpg   33437013342_78ebba4da9_n.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, JLynn said:

Got my beautiful baby nems this morning - really regretting the decision to get 5 instead of 10, now!

Anyways. Here's the goodies, under photo mode lighting and then under normal lighting:

32750897294_8aa00824e8_n.jpg   32779580033_422a273b46_n.jpg

33437013632_4e942e6e22_n.jpg   33437013342_78ebba4da9_n.jpg

Nice!  I just looked at the 5-pack deal from VIPReefs and that's an amazing price.  About how big are each individual nem?

9 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

Nice!  I just looked at the 5-pack deal from VIPReefs and that's an amazing price.  About how big are each individual nem?

It is a great deal. Three of them are about 1" in diameter; one of them is probably 2"; the fifth one might even be 3" - it's definitely larger than the rest, but it's kind of curled up on itself, so it's hard to judge just how much larger it is.

• 1 month later...
My tiny reef

I have lots of little babies ? many have a bright orange center like their mama in this picture.  
image_39.jpeg

Here's another one on the other side of the tank
image_38.jpeg

And one on a shell
image_37.jpeg

This is one of my only surviving babies from last year's spawning.  Hoping to have better luck with this batch since they are bigger starting out and easier to feed so far.  I'm also hoping maybe there is another female in there still brooding some babies that will come out even bigger in the next few weeks/months.
image_36.jpeg

• Like 3

Definitely like the rock flower anemones!  As of last week I am up to 14.  Most are from VIP Reef, 2 are from Legendary Corals, 1 is from Diver's Den.  I need to slow down for a while as there are enough now that they are pushing one another around.  I will give them a few weeks to stake their territories.  I find that they grow like weeds, the first 2 I got were a bit under 2 inches when I got them in early March and they are now more than 4 inches.  Of course I feed them lots of fish or shrimp every other day and the clownfish accidentally drop pellets on them every day....

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic