Cultivated Reef

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

The babies, so tiny, why did you break your scape up? I realize I'm not following a thread of yours so I don't know.

I didn't have a thread for this tank. Here's how it looked like at it's worse:

012316a.jpg

I've cleaned it up countless times. I can't even count how many gallons of peroxide I've gone through (or hours of tank maintenance) trying to deal with it. I even tried dosing bleach! It wasn't just hair algae as there was some wicked peroxide resistant species too. I had to try something different (enter the chisel).

pappadumplingz

012316a.jpg

I've cleaned it up countless times. I can't even count how many gallons of peroxide I've gone through (or hours of tank maintenance) trying to deal with it. I even tried dosing bleach! It wasn't just hair algae as there was some wicked peroxide resistant species too. I had to try something different (enter the chisel).

Jeez, looks like chewbacca in there. do you have a current tank thread, would love to see your stuff, since you seem like a really experienced reefer.

Experienced, I guess so. However, I can't say that I have much to look at (and it certainly isn't pretty). But here's a link to my other current tank: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/301861-100-gallons-behind-a-wall/ (it currently houses a breeding pair of clownfish).

I'm hoping to setup a Caribbean tank with these rock flower anemones. I'll probably end up starting a tank thread for that too.

• Like 3

012316a.jpg

Yikes! yeah, when you try & try to remove something or mos it's sometimes just time to disassemble. It was for me in the cyano/dino mess I had. Looking back now I probably needed more rock in the display and those Denitrate Seachem things in the sump did work, though so much crap got lodged down there. You are keeping your nems though right? And tank thread for what you're doing now?

Definitely keeping the nems. One's over a decade old. I don't remember that last time I bought a new RFA (it's been years). Unfortunately I couldn't find all of the babies; but I'm sure they will make more. :)

• Like 1

Definitely keeping the nems. One's over a decade old. I don't remember that last time I bought a new RFA (it's been years). Unfortunately I couldn't find all of the babies; but I'm sure they will make more. :)

Wow, over 10, that's amazing! Has it changed much in color from yr 2-10 through adulthood?

Just seen one of mine giving birth...it's one of my favourite ones so hoping for some nice colour babies!

They are very small though so will see how they get on.

DSCF3294_zpsxwcozokj.jpg

DSCF3297_zps0tdyc9e5.jpg

DSCF3307_zps7zog7rgr.jpg

What it normally looks like....

DSCF1248_zpslkzhmmom.jpg

• Like 4

Hard to say how many potential fathers. I've only recently witnessed spawning events so i'm only certain of about 3 being male. There are however about 50 RFA in the tank so i'm sure theres a good deal of males in there.

• Like 2

Thatsa lotsa bebehs... :)

How many do you think will find their footing vs just blowing around into the dark & disappear? If I were you I'd be sorely tempted to grab something like a Mr Aqua shallow 3' + a Current Orbit (pro or non)/AquaMaxx Nemolight & see about setting up a dedicated nursery tank. Between those two RFAs that's gotta be be close to 100 babies.

Exciting!

PS: the births in my tank were way different. Found 2-3 new ones the first night (about 3x the size of what you have there), then a whole lot more of various sizes ranging from the bigger to the size you show. then a whole lot of little tiny ones which seem to have almost all dissolved in the 2-3 days following the birthing nights. Almost all of the bigger ones are doing fine, about half the "your-sized" ones made it, and only 2-4 of the tiny, tiny ones made it to coloring up.

FlowerMama- about 15-20 total throughout the tank as they wander from time to time. At one point I had close to 30, but attrition's happened.

• Like 2

Hard to say how many potential fathers. I've only recently witnessed spawning events so i'm only certain of about 3 being male. There are however about 50 RFA in the tank so i'm sure theres a good deal of males in there.

I think the most I had was like 45. I loved having so many. I'll get there. 21 now.

Thatsa lotsa bebehs... :)

How many do you think will find their footing vs just blowing around into the dark & disappear? If I were you I'd be sorely tempted to grab something like a Mr Aqua shallow 3' + a Current Orbit (pro or non)/AquaMaxx Nemolight & see about setting up a dedicated nursery tank. Between those two RFAs that's gotta be be close to 100 babies.

Exciting!

PS: the births in my tank were way different. Found 2-3 new ones the first night (about 3x the size of what you have there), then a whole lot more of various sizes ranging from the bigger to the size you show. then a whole lot of little tiny ones which seem to have almost all dissolved in the 2-3 days following the birthing nights. Almost all of the bigger ones are doing fine, about half the "your-sized" ones made it, and only 2-4 of the tiny, tiny ones made it to coloring up.

FlowerMama- about 15-20 total throughout the tank as they wander from time to time. At one point I had close to 30, but attrition's happened.

Yeah, I've only had the ones that were super tiny, never saw them after 2 days. But that was also a tank at the time that was getting cyano & dino. Then the one time premature birth after water change, like betta pellets, never opened. You just never know. I tried feeding the little ones but they died. Didn't feed them, died. So I'm hoping that by increasing the feeding since my males spawned that all will get more nutrition and have stronger, larger babies.

So the one in my tank that is always acting up and peacocking is now standing up on its foot and has the tentacles all extended out like a patio umbrella. Dont know what to say :(. I am up to 11 now and the other 10 are model citizens. Have you ever noticed anything like this?

Picture? I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it, it's probably stretching & may want to find a different location. I've seen the males and females do that. I've had more males do the top hat pose and then they spawn. To me, rock flowers are always model citizens but if they're bunched up, he/she may want some space. I'm waiting for more of mine to space out.

When I first got the nems 4/20/16.

20160420_183829_zpsu86vw4er.jpg

Today..

20161028_210612_zpsh57ft6ad.jpg

20161028_210837_zpszt5d0hpe.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice! I only captured the umbrella down. Earlier this evening, you could see almost 1" of the foot and the tentacles and disc fully extended. Crazy looking!

IMG_20161028_224542.jpg

These are the ones i picked this week from the gotcorals.com nem tank :). I was impressed by their setup. Very nice setup and very nice folks.

IMG_20161025_153001.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice! I only captured the umbrella down. Earlier this evening, you could see almost 1" of the foot and the tentacles and disc fully extended. Crazy looking!

IMG_20161028_224542.jpg

These are the ones i picked this week from the gotcorals.com nem tank :). I was impressed by their setup. Very nice setup and very nice folks.

IMG_20161025_153001.jpg

Yeah, probably just stretching. You a nice bright set of nems. You can see a number of them here and a big one on the right on the rock, they open and close, some more than others.

20151016_200503_zpsakygresp.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, probably just stretching. You a nice bright set of nems. You can see a number of them here and a big one on the right on the rock, they open and close, some more than others.

20151016_200503_zpsakygresp.jpg

That's it! Exactly like that! Very nice. Your collection is very nice. These are unique, amazing creatures for sure.
  • Like 1

That's it! Exactly like that! Very nice. Your collection is very nice. These are unique, amazing creatures for sure

Thanks, had to start it all over when I electrocuted everything. First when I started the hobby I thought zoas were going to be my favorite, no, then I thought acans, no, it was flowers. How big are yours? Because once they get 2-2.5" they'll be of age to spawn and you'll find out their gender.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic