Pod Your Reef

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

frankdontsurf

Mine do this, I think it's expelling water. They never move from their nooks anymore. The babies do, they always seem to jump around in the same 2 square inch area they are in.

• Like 1

Mine flex their oral disks like that when they are feeding or when a Sexy shrimp walks over them or... when they just feel like it.

FlowerMama

I have a couple that always sleep closed, the one I know as my mama just opens and closes throughout the day, others don't do it at all. That one is really pretty..

ninjamyst

I forgot where I read this but I thought rock flower anemones do not do well on sandbed. My RFA was nicely situated on a small rock for months, then recently started to move around. It has now stuck itself to the bottom of the glass on my sandbed. Should I be worried? Is this a sign it's going to die soon? Do they dislike high flow? This area gets pretty strong flow.

https://flic.kr/p/nuGNmL'>14108314444_81bb64ab72_z.jpg

• Like 1
hypostatic

They do fine on the sandbed. If it plopped itself in that spot it's because it likes it there. If it changes it's mind it'll move again

I forgot where I read this but I thought rock flower anemones do not do well on sandbed. My RFA was nicely situated on a small rock for months, then recently started to move around. It has now stuck itself to the bottom of the glass on my sandbed. Should I be worried? Is this a sign it's going to die soon? Do they dislike high flow? This area gets pretty strong flow.

ninjamyst

They do fine on the sandbed. If it plopped itself in that spot it's because it likes it there. If it changes it's mind it'll move again

If that's the case, I will get a few more to fill up the sandbed. I think they look way cooler this way, all spread out.

• Like 2

next RFA I get I will try to put it in the sand. love the way they look in the sand.

a snail was crawling near my baby RFA and it won't let go of the snail. it's so weird. i tried to gently detach it but i didn't want to tear it. hopefully the snail doesn't try to pull away too hard and hopefully the RFA just lets go.

hypostatic

next RFA I get I will try to put it in the sand. love the way they look in the sand.

a snail was crawling near my baby RFA and it won't let go of the snail. it's so weird. i tried to gently detach it but i didn't want to tear it. hopefully the snail doesn't try to pull away too hard and hopefully the RFA just lets go.

Dinner

• Like 1
opaquelace

14108314444_81bb64ab72_z.jpg

That's a beautiful anemone. Definitely unique! And I have 2 completely in my sandbed that are happy happy happy.

FlowerMama

Mine don't like heavy flow so yeah, probably moved. Even w/ a lighter flow in my tank, when I turn off the wavemaker they seem to like it more, relax more, puff up more. What's funny, I had a small one, when I went near it, it completely sucked itself underneath so you couldn't see it- 30-60 mins later it was back up again. Just love these guys.

iCephalopod

invert.nem.rock.ultra%2520neon.asd.jpg

Vendor pic of my first rock flower anemone. Still trying to get the tentacles and oral disc to color up like the photo.

• Like 1

My LFS has a couple all-white RFAs. Does that mean they've expelled their zooxanthellae?

Most likely no. There are all white morphs, commonly called zebras since they have striped oral disks. Here is my zebra RFA sitting next to a Borneman's anemone:

BorneZed_zps501ef62d.jpg

Call Me Ishmael

Most likely no. There are all white morphs, commonly called zebras since they have striped oral disks. Here is my zebra RFA sitting next to a Borneman's anemone:

Thanks. Theirs aren't striped, just all white. The closest thing I can compare it to (color-wise) would be a xenia. Certainly not eye-catching, but still pretty in a simple way. They're only asking $11.99, so I might pick one up as some interesting ground cover, and to serve as a "practice nem" for a future spending spree at VIPreefs :D

hypostatic

Vendor pic of my first rock flower anemone. Still trying to get the tentacles and oral disc to color up like the photo.

It probably won't. Online vendors are NOTORIOUS for photomanipulation of their pictures. They usually really increase the color saturation and/or contrast in order to make the colors "pop".

Also, if your lighting is not exactly the same as the vendor's, then the coral will also look different

Thanks. Theirs aren't striped, just all white. The closest thing I can compare it to (color-wise) would be a xenia. Certainly not eye-catching, but still pretty in a simple way. They're only asking $11.99, so I might pick one up as some interesting ground cover, and to serve as a "practice nem" for a future spending spree at VIPreefs :D

Interesting! Post a picture of it when you get one.

FlowerMama

Pretty rfa for sure. SOOOO nice.

There are white RFAs as said earlier. Mine as a baby looks different at 3 inches now. And it was quite stunning because the rock is so purple, it really stood out.

I'll see if I can find a comparison photo. It might be on my Maiden's Voyage thread.

kazoofish

If that's the case, I will get a few more to fill up the sandbed. I think they look way cooler this way, all spread out.

Hey everyone, nice to see people have an appreciation for rock nems. I put mine on the sand to make it look like a "rock flower garden" Here is section of my tank devoted to them. I'll try to figure out how to take better pictures in the future.

• Like 3
FlowerMama

Hey everyone, nice to see people have an appreciation for rock nems. I put mine on the sand to make it look like a "rock flower garden" Here is section of my tank devoted to them. I'll try to figure out how to take better pictures in the future.

Love it! So wonderful to see so many, me and Gena are not the only ones w/ tons of them! You have some beauties! Want to see more pics for sure!

Love it! :wub:

I see you are new to N-R. Are you going to start a thread for your tank? I'd love to follow along if you do!

kazoofish

I will try. Currently I have in my home office a 3x2x1 tank I custom built in a cubby. I am planning on building another 4x1x1 matching tank on the other wall of my office devoted to rock nems and ricordia shrooms with maybe a few acans or palys in the mix. Is there a link on how to take pictures, especially in blue lighting so I may share my love for these gems?

kazoofish

This is my current tank by the way. When I first got into hobby, I didn't know what I would like - so I got a little bit of everything to display on the frag racks - torches, acans, palys, leather, acros etc. I liked the rock nems best so I took out the front frag display racks and put rock nems and mushrooms on sand bottom. Now I'm addicted - and I'm not even on crack.

post-84525-0-84395500-1399421531_thumb.jpg

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic