SaltCritters.com

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

Ok, so both you Gena and Mirya have them roughly 24-25 inches from the light. My tank is 12 high. So an inch of gravel, really 11 then.

Nah, mine are closer to the light -- within 9-16 inches of it. This picture is at a little bit of an angle, as the water level is actually at the 7 inch mark:

PAR_zpsf435851b.jpg

The red numbers are just where I took PAR measurements. The PAR levels were pretty low. I switched to the 120 optics on my Razor to eliminate the "disco ball" effect, but that dropped my PAR by about 20%. Borneman moved himself to that position at the top of the tank (#1), so he wanted more light.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking at getting a RFA as my first anemone in a few more months. Was wondering on how big they get when fully grown? I currently have a 10g nano and want to make sure it will be comfortable in it.

• Like 1

It's nice to see RFA getting some love, finally! When I bought my 1st one awhile back, it didn't seem like many had them. I often get questions as to why I would have mandarins in with RFA's which makes me think most people believe they are fish eaters. We need to dispel that myth!

I only have 2 (one orange, 1 green) but would like another 5-10 more to fill up the tank. :P If you guys get breeding and selling.. I'll be buying!

dragonsbreath_zpsd399febd.jpg

clamtop_zps81a181da.jpg

• Like 7

apreciation thread?!

WELL APPRECIATE THIS!

rockanemone3.jpg

(not mine lol)

I'd never let that thing go. I think I'd probably make a portable tank for it and take it with me too. Seriously. That thing. The far away picture of it next to all the other ones make the other ones look bland (even though they aren't) Reef Builders did a write up on that one.

• Like 2

13655803795_053d415a46_b.jpg

13655804775_62693af233_b.jpg

These are 3 of mine. I have a solid white one with a neon mouth but it has made its home in the back corner of my tank like a butt. The red/green one is finally on the mend after being viciously and partially digested by acan echinata mesenterial filaments.

• Like 2

I think mine is in the process of moving up the rock, but it's pretty scrunched up to the point where the mouth isn't visible. Hopefully within a few days it opens up.

It's nice to see RFA getting some love, finally! When I bought my 1st one awhile back, it didn't seem like many had them. I often get questions as to why I would have mandarins in with RFA's which makes me think most people believe they are fish eaters. We need to dispel that myth!

I only have 2 (one orange, 1 green) but would like another 5-10 more to fill up the tank. :P If you guys get breeding and selling.. I'll be buying!

I suspect it's because the other kinds of anemones they closely resemble (juvenile carpets & maxi-minis) have potent stings (or at least "stickiness") and are notorious for snacking on hapless perching fish like clown gobies and the like (I know, I know - mandarins aren't gobies). LFS' don't help this perception, for some reason.

I've seen my own mandarin pretty suddenly power down shortly after lights out and drift in the current to a landing on the sandbed/macro or upper rock shelves - it's not too much of a stretch to imagine her doing so onto an unfurled anemone - and being gone come morning. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Looking at getting a RFA as my first anemone in a few more months. Was wondering on how big they get when fully grown? I currently have a 10g nano and want to make sure it will be comfortable in it.

5-6". So you can tell that people who have nanos are giving themselves a reason for a bigger tank. It'll take some time to get there though. You can feed it every 2-3 days a piece of mysis and it'll be happy.

• Like 2

5-6". So you can tell that people who have nanos are giving themselves a reason for a bigger tank. It'll take some time to get there though. You can feed it every 2-3 days a piece of mysis and it'll be happy.

You got it 1stimereefer :lol:. I am already looking at a 30/38 nuvo build in the very near future. My biggest worry was if I get one and put it in my 10g will I be able to transfer to to the larger tank without problems and also how long should the tank be setup before I get one?

You got it 1stimereefer :lol:. I am already looking at a 30/38 nuvo build in the very near future. My biggest worry was if I get one and put it in my 10g will I be able to transfer to to the larger tank without problems and also how long should the tank be setup before I get one?

They're hardy so unlike some other anemones out there you don't have to be as concerned. Keep water as stable as you can but mine looked untouched while all my other corals were closing up really tight and took weeks to recover and the nems were all smiling, happy, proud to be alive- didn't phase them. Once they're on a rock, you can just move the rock over, or if you want them off that rock, then lean the rock up so they travel down.

• Like 2

They're hardy so unlike some other anemones out there you don't have to be as concerned. Keep water as stable as you can but mine looked untouched while all my other corals were closing up really tight and took weeks to recover and the nems were all smiling, happy, proud to be alive- didn't phase them. Once they're on a rock, you can just move the rock over, or if you want them off that rock, then lean the rock up so they travel down.

Awesome! Thank you so much for the help 1stimereefer :). I am going to be placing an order tomorrow with my LFS for some fish and will see what they have as far as the RFA and see if they can get me one.

Awesome! Thank you so much for the help 1stimereefer :). I am going to be placing an order tomorrow with my LFS for some fish and will see what they have as far as the RFA and see if they can get me one.

nice! They're easy to keep but add so much to the tank. Check out my Maiden's Voyage the last couple months if you wanna see lots of RFAs!! I really am in love.

frankdontsurf

One of my dime sized babies let go of the rock it's been holding and I have no clue where he went, my acan looks huge and foamy though... :\ They weren't in close proximity but the flow does swing right over the acan.. Womp..

oh no! I turned my flow off overnight so it could hang on well. Mine don't like flow right over them, a side will start coming up and they'll sometimes move a couple inches over 5 hrs or something. I hope it didn't make it into the acan.

nice! They're easy to keep but add so much to the tank. Check out my Maiden's Voyage the last couple months if you wanna see lots of RFAs!! I really am in love.

Going through it now ;)

• Like 1
frankdontsurf

oh no! I turned my flow off overnight so it could hang on well. Mine don't like flow right over them, a side will start coming up and they'll sometimes move a couple inches over 5 hrs or something. I hope it didn't make it into the acan.

The other 4 are on the high flow side, quite happy.

Lights just turned off and I used my UV flashlight (nothing can hide). He's so far into the rock it doesn't look like he'd be able to wiggle out. He's in my favorite rock so sadly I leave it to him to make it his coffin or his throne.

The other 4 are on the high flow side, quite happy.

Lights just turned off and I used my UV flashlight (nothing can hide). He's so far into the rock it doesn't look like he'd be able to wiggle out. He's in my favorite rock so sadly I leave it to him to make it his coffin or his throne.

What's amazing to me is how fluffy it looks and then how minute of a size it can squish down to. That's incredible. It got in, it will get out, it may leave part of it's behind BEHIND and open up otherwise. It may like that foothold.

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic