ReefCleaners.org

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

She could be moving to a location w/ lower light but she still may move around if she doesn't get fed there.

i love how they have a mind of their own. ha!

she's been eating super well, as well as her less colorful

nem friend on the other side of the tank.

They do close up, she might open up soon and then have a bowel movement or something.

All of mine stay open during the day.

I have some that stay open at night, others that turn into what looks like a belly button all puckered up.

One time she looked so bad I thought she was dying, then the next day she spewed whatever gave her gastrointestinal issues and after that she was fine. So make sure give little pieces of food, not the biggest.

They do close up, she might open up soon and then have a bowel movement or something.

All of mine stay open during the day.

I have some that stay open at night, others that turn into what looks like a belly button all puckered up.

One time she looked so bad I thought she was dying, then the next day she spewed whatever gave her gastrointestinal issues and after that she was fine. So make sure give little pieces of food, not the biggest.

awww! the nem was open this morning. i haven't fed

it again. the sexy shrimp does prance on it alot, i wonder

if it's had enough sometimes. haha! i don't think the sexy

is eating it or anything, it definitely "likes" the nem. i'll feed

this weekend. they've been eating well.

the ultra nem is pushed up against some zoas' frag and

seems to be happily settled... for now. :happy:

thank you!!

Looks like some more 'RFA snuggling' behavior

Lemon moved from her own big, open space all the way under the rocks and over next to her bigger neighbor. The two of them have been opening and closing - probably 'feeling each other out' or something..

Before

2014-09-06nems_zpsb61c1e1a.jpg

After

2014-10-11nems_zps92cea243.jpg

• Like 4

Took some pictures of it's neighbor. As it's gotten bigger (about 5" across), the tentacles have gotten long and thin at the ends, They're also very smooth, without the rings you usually see on RFAs

2014-10-11-photo2_zps19b40bdc.jpg

and these brown nodules cover half the distance from the mouth to the edge of the disk. Looks like hemorrhoids on it..lol

2014-10-11-photo3_zps9a761b50.jpg

• Like 1

Where have all the rock nems gone? All of the websites that I have purchased from in the past either haven't had them for a few months now, or, have extremely limited selection compared to what they had before. Have they been over collected, thanks to all the vendor (and Reefbuilders.com) hype that drove the prices on an $8 green and $16 red nem to $40 and $60 respectively?

Where have all the rock nems gone? All of the websites that I have purchased from in the past either haven't had them for a few months now, or, have extremely limited selection compared to what they had before. Have they been over collected, thanks to all the vendor hype that drove the prices on an $8 green and $16 red nem to $40 and $60 respectively?

At this time of year I was told the waters are so thick w/ algae, you can't see anything. So there's typically a break, and of course in the meantime there's lots of amazing growth and spawning, etc. I think it starts picking up in Dec onward.

A Florida Keys collection business (divers) that I have purchased them from in the past (as well as clean up crews) told me that there had been a bleaching event in the Keys that affected coral and anemones alike, hence why they have none for sale. Don't know what the real story is.

I love VIPReef, but most people know that. One day I'd like to get there. Very friendly people. My friends visited their store, wonderful people. He's always emailed me back when I've emailed. Very personable.

A Florida Keys collection business (divers) that I have purchased them from in the past (as well as clean up crews) told me that there had been a bleaching event in the Keys that affected coral and anemones alike, hence why they have none for sale. Don't know what the real story is.

I heard the same thing from KP Aquatics. I had asked them when they thought they'd be getting their blue zoanthids back in stock, and they informed me lots of stuff down there is really bleached right now.

i'm considering buying a 3rd flower nem

to cuddle with my plainer one. in my 8g.

someone talk me out of this.

thanks. :rolleyes:

No help from this quarter... I'm planning much the same in my 9, once my other rock flower gets back up to size.
  • Like 1

Hey...waitaminute...I get a mandarin & nutramar effectively goes extinct. I add a rock flower anemone and a mass bleaching event happens.

Am I a causative agent of global proportions?! :o

• Like 1

IDK why you came to this thread for that! ;)

Hey...waitaminute...I get a mandarin & nutramar effectively goes extinct. I add a rock flower anemone and a mass bleaching event happens.

Am I a causative agent of global proportions?! :o

Would you consider purposefully getting some green bubble algae and Bryopsis? Maybe some Aptasia too. Let's use your powers of extinction for some good!

• Like 6

I would just go ahead and buy at least 5 more. Lol. Just do it....

• Like 1

hello flower loving nem enablers!

i picked up the new flower nem at ASD

yesterday. the orange faced one with a white

skirt sold, but i liked this one as well. he's big!

bigger than my other two at about 2 inches across.

i put him next to the other brown one to cuddle. :D

he was on sale for $25. a BARGAIN by my book!

and he already ate some reef frenzy yesterday.

neonnem.jpg

• Like 4
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic