Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

I'm thinking of definitely doing the conch but also a harlequin serpent star for the rock flower tank. I think both would be good for the sand, don't ya think? And a small pin cushion urchin or west indian sea egg as they're aggressive algae eaters.

that would be so cool!!

QUESTION:

i've noticed on more than one occasion, when

i stop the pump because i'm feeding, etc., the

flower nems will often curl up or close entirely.

is this because they don't like it that there's no flow?

that they sense a change in the water?

or do they need to rest like this once in a while?

I dont know if videos work on this site - but here it goes. I tried to get a video of me feeding my nems but can't take a video and feed at same time! lol . Plus the time it takes - 1 min is too long a file to attach on this site. I did get a small video of the front part of my nem tank showing them right after feeding. This is with my iphone in full spectrum. It doesn't do well taking pictures in the blue light. Does anyone have a work around this?

IMG_3141.MOV

• Like 1

I dont know if videos work on this site - but here it goes. I tried to get a video of me feeding my nems but can't take a video and feed at same time! lol . Plus the time it takes - 1 min is too long a file to attach on this site. I did get a small video of the front part of my nem tank showing them right after feeding. This is with my iphone in full spectrum. It doesn't do well taking pictures in the blue light. Does anyone have a work around this?

omg it is like the motherload of flower nems! ha!

beautiful!

Anyone know why rock nems cuddle? I had 5 spaced apart about 6 inches but now I have 2 pairs snuggling.

maybe they cuddle for the same reasons we cuddle?? :happy:

my ultra orange one just "walked"out of the little crevice

i plopped her in today. she's only wondered right next to it,

but i hope she's not going far. so surprising! she's been in

there for at least two weeks.

Anyone know why rock nems cuddle? I had 5 spaced apart about 6 inches but now I have 2 pairs snuggling.

I kinda wonder if by touching they sense there are others "like us" and maybe it helps induce spawning behaviors or something. That's what I want to believe.

I kinda wonder if by touching they sense there are others "like us" and maybe it helps induce spawning behaviors or something. That's what I want to believe.

I have a green one for about a year now and he was always pissy. He would hide under macro or in deep crevices, and any attempt to put him somewhere visible sent him running. He wouldn't eat either (although must have been eating something on his own) and his tentacles were always kind of pathetic.

Since I've gotten more he has planted himself touching another rock flower right out in front and this is the first time Ive seen him "happy" and extended and he will finally eat.

:huh:

• Like 1

I have a green one for about a year now and he was always pissy. He would hide under macro or in deep crevices, and any attempt to put him somewhere visible sent him running. He wouldn't eat either (although must have been eating something on his own) and his tentacles were always kind of pathetic.

Since I've gotten more he has planted himself touching another rock flower right out in front and this is the first time Ive seen him "happy" and extended and he will finally eat.

:huh:

Aww...

Now I feel bad for placing an order for just one!! I might have to find it a friend!!

• Like 2

aww maybe he just wanted a friend?

Just so odd... but I guess that is what makes this hobby so fun. So many unknowns... our tanks are like little science experiments. :)

Aww...

Now I feel bad for placing an order for just one!! I might have to find it a friend!!

Don't worry!! It's addictive, you will have more soon! :lol:

• Like 2

Just so odd... but I guess that is what makes this hobby so fun. So many unknowns... our tanks are like little science experiments. :)

Don't worry!! It's addictive, you will have more soon! :lol:

Tank idea #4,365: IM fusion 10 with rock flowers, gorgonians, sexy shrimps, and pom pom crabs... (hopefully this spring with my tax return)

• Like 1

I have a mutant anemone - one side green, part red and white on other side. Recently it has been "snuggling" near a orange skirted nem with yellow center. Now there are some red tentacles that turned orangish and the mouth now has a bright yellow spot on it where before there was no yellow. You think there could be a transferance of zooxanthellae going on between the nems? Would be interesting theory to get designer nems one day!!

• Like 1

Tank idea #4,365: IM fusion 10 with rock flowers, gorgonians, sexy shrimps, and pom pom crabs... (hopefully this spring with my tax return)

This is very much how my Nuvo8 started out! Now, that livestock is transferring over to my Nuvo24 and my Nuvo8 will be going in more of a Z&P route. In the Nuvo8 (and I imagine the 10 will have a similar issue) I had issues with the RFAs pissing off the gorgonians. If the RFA tentacles touched the gorg, the gorg wouldn't open at all. The Sexy shrimps were fine hanging out on the RFAs, but once I started adding zoas to the tank, the Sexies started nibbling on the Zoas. I had a pom pom crab, but he is pretty nocturnal so I only see him once every few weeks or so.

• Like 1

This is very much how my Nuvo8 started out! Now, that livestock is transferring over to my Nuvo24 and my Nuvo8 will be going in more of a Z&P route. In the Nuvo8 (and I imagine the 10 will have a similar issue) I had issues with the RFAs pissing off the gorgonians. If the RFA tentacles touched the gorg, the gorg wouldn't open at all. The Sexy shrimps were fine hanging out on the RFAs, but once I started adding zoas to the tank, the Sexies started nibbling on the Zoas. I had a pom pom crab, but he is pretty nocturnal so I only see him once every few weeks or so.

Thanks for the tip on the gorgonians and RFA's!! I really just want to do an RFA tank but was trying to think of an "and ___" for balance.

looks like my ultra nem is taking a walk

about on the rock i put her on. i'm hoping

she'll stay put, but do they walk on sand?

i have a feeling yes. aiiiii

i sort of caught some of that.

what happened? did you order and

need to get it shipped?

Ordered online from a local place so I need to arrange pick up. I called them and was told I would get a call back (never did). I sent an email through their website and have't heard back. They posted on Facebook Monday that local pickups would be arranged... I still haven't heard anything. I will send them another message when I get a break.

Just frustrating, and I'm trying to be patient since I did purchase during a sale so I'm not the only customer...

Ordered online from a local place so I need to arrange pick up. I called them and was told I would get a call back (never did). I sent an email through their website and have't heard back. They posted on Facebook Monday that local pickups would be arranged... I still haven't heard anything. I will send them another message when I get a break.

Just frustrating, and I'm trying to be patient since I did purchase during a sale so I'm not the only customer...

fwiw, i just show up if it's local.

and am very apologetic. but do you want

my money or what? :rolleyes:

i hope you get your nem soon!

you've already paid for her, yes?

fwiw, i just show up if it's local.

and am very apologetic. but do you want

my money or what? :rolleyes:

i hope you get your nem soon!

you've already paid for her, yes?

Yes! A beautiful little pink one! I'm not posting a picture cause I don't wanna jinx it!

• Like 1

it could be the nem is scoping out if there are others in the tank to be social with, and they can definitely move across sand, and of course will settle in it if they choose w/ their foot stuck on the bottom. I got my first one in my Evolve 8, she never moved though.

• Like 2

it could be the nem is scoping out if there are others in the tank to be social with, and they can definitely move across sand, and of course will settle in it if they choose w/ their foot stuck on the bottom. I got my first one in my Evolve 8, she never moved though.

thank you! she seems settled in to the back side of

the rock for now. her foot definitely in the rock. we'll see

if she feels like roaming again tonight. ha! if i had

known how social they could be, i would have placed her

closer to the other nem.

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic