Pod Your Reef

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

16 hours ago, ReefFish said:

Off topic but still kind of not off topic is this a BAD or GOOD bristle worm??? Because I found it under a Rock Anemone that hasn't been doing good for a while now and today I noticed that it had a hole through its mouth to the side of its foot

0111191505a.jpg

0111191529.jpg

It looks like a regular bristle worm to me. 

Has the nem been OK and open recently? If not, that hole near the mouth may just be the nem melting. If it looks like tissue is starting to disintegrate and pull away and it’s probably time to pull it out of the tank so it doesn’t affect any of your others. 😕

On 1/10/2019 at 10:33 PM, Lula_Mae said:

I wonder if you could use something like a piece from a mesh filter media bag?  I'd think that wouldn't cut down flow too much?

That sounds like a good idea...something thin like that might be better.  Thanks! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

It looks like a regular bristle worm to me. 

Has the nem been OK and open recently? If not, that hole near the mouth may just be the nem melting. If it looks like tissue is starting to disintegrate and pull away and it’s probably time to pull it out of the tank so it doesn’t affect any of your others. 😕

It was pulled out once I noticed the hole in the side and yes it was okay about a week ago. 😞

The last two months haven't been to good I've lost 5 of my RFA's 4 of the 5 where super ultra colored but it wasn't the first time and it won't be the last time 😭

• Sad 3

I suppose there might be around 6 dozen.  I think most of them are green with white or green skirts, but I have some with red skirts.  Some are more mint colored.  The neon green ones shine orange with a blue LED flashlight.  Most of them are still pretty small, I should have a better idea in a few months.

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, revolution1925 said:

Hi guys! Can i keep rfa in a bare bottom tank? 

Sure.  They prefer to attach to a solid surface (rock, or even glass).

With care, and a plastic scraper, it's even possible to remove them from the glass.

• Thanks 1

Sorry if this has been asked a much of times but I was wondering where the best spot to order these guys online is. By best I mean cheapest for the brightest colors, and hopfully cheaper shipping too😉

11 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Sorry if this has been asked a much of times but I was wondering where the best spot to order these guys online is. By best I mean cheapest for the brightest colors, and hopfully cheaper shipping too😉

LoL.  It is a loaded question buddy

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, ngvu1 said:

Check out https://www.gotcorals.com/

They do a good job in shipping and have a great variety.  They are on FB also

Ha that's the one site that I knew of that seemed to have good prices.. how are the sizes of there rfa closer to say a nickel or a half dollar size??

52 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Ha that's the one site that I knew of that seemed to have good prices.. how are the sizes of there rfa closer to say a nickel or a half dollar size??

Quarter or 1 inch in diameter for the 2 I got from them

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Weikel said:

The 7 in my last order were all 1.5”-2” and awesome! 

• Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ngvu1 said:

Did they come like that or you made them stay in the same rock?

Awesome either way!!!

No, RFAs usually arrive with no rock, just floating. I put them on the rock island, and then they lay like that because they face sideways under bright lighting. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

No, RFAs usually arrive with no rock, just floating. I put them on the rock island, and then they lay like that because they face sideways under bright lighting. 

Where do you get your RFAs from, Harry? 

2 hours ago, banasophia said:

Where do you get your RFAs from, Harry? 

GotCorals- but don't expect them to be this big lol. They usually come around 1.5" in diameter. Ive had these guys for around 2 years

On 1/26/2019 at 6:02 PM, HarryPotter said:

GotCorals- but don't expect them to be this big lol. They usually come around 1.5" in diameter. Ive had these guys for around 2 years

1.5'' isn't bad lately I've seen them being sold at less than 3/4" and some even less than 1/2" and when there that size I've noticed it's about a 50/50 chance it lives or dies so I stopped buying them when there that size

1/2 inch in diameter? That is about a dime size right?  I have a few dime size babies. however when I took 1 from the dt to the sump, it shrunk to like an eraser or black pepper seed size then slowly expanded.  They are normally bigger than the size after being shipped...then they take a while to recover.  Some tanks have good water so the guy recovers real fast.  Some tanks take a lot longer....it is hard to say how big they are sometimes 🙂