inTank Media Baskets

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

My rock flower split after i had it for about a year. Now i have two

If it split, I'm not a true Flower Anemone (P. Crucifer). There is a species that looks almost identical that does does reproduce by fission - and it's killing me that I can't find the name. I'll post it when I find it

Didn't know the gold ones were rare. A club member here got a green with gold as one of the $30 nems :)

Wow, nice! I'm still jealous that I couldn't get in on that VIP group buy.

I just got me one of these little guy from saltcritters.com and im so excited. I was wondering if it's a bad idea to put her in my 12g long and where is the best initial placement? Right now im not fully stocked yet so there is still plenty of free spaces in the tank for her to settle down. Anything caring tips or things I should look out for?

RFAs do great in nanos, so putting her in your 12g would be fine. Initial placement anywhere in direct light - either on a rock or on the sandbed. She will decide if she prefers somewhere else... and will walk over there on her own.

Is it OK to keep these in a bare bottom tank?

Yup. I used to have one that I gave away because of this -- he actually preferred attaching to the glass sides of my tank.

My rock flower split after i had it for about a year. Now i have two

If it split, I'm not a true Flower Anemone (P. Crucifer). There is a species that looks almost identical that does does reproduce by fission - and it's killing me that I can't find the name. I'll post it when I find it

Phymanthus buitendijki aka Borneman's Anemone is a cousin of the RFAs that reproduces asexually. Mine just split last week! Unlike Bubble tip anemones that split by dividing in half through the mouth, my Borneman twisted and popped his head off. The white speckled lump you see in this picture in between the Borneman head and the green RFA is the old stalk of the Borneman that will develop a new face:

Split2_zpsb536edaa.jpg

Here is a close-up of the "stump":

Split_zps970d39c0.jpg

• Like 2

I really want to get a RFA. However, I'm very nervous about it moving around once I've placed it because while I check my tank multiple times a day, I am away at work for a good 12 hours.

What if it decided to move the minute I walk out and starts a war with another coral??

Any tips on placing them?

I really want to get a RFA. However, I'm very nervous about it moving around once I've placed it because while I check my tank multiple times a day, I am away at work for a good 12 hours.

What if it decided to move the minute I walk out and starts a war with another coral??

Any tips on placing them?

Pick one up over the weekend so you have a day or two to monitor it. Even if you have a day off you'll likely be fine. Just prepare for it's arrival by clearing out a small space near the sand that is away from your other corals. When placing it turn off the pumps in the tank and wait 30 minutes for it to attach. Chances are if it moves at all it will do so on the first or second day in your tank. Unlike most other nems rock flowers tend to stay put once they find a spot they like.

On another note, for those of you interested in doing another group buy I would be more then happy to work something out like last time! If we can get enough people in sometimes around thanksgiving or over the winter holidays, I'll be home at those times and we can get some to all the people who didn't have a chance to get in on last group buy

• Like 2

Key diver,

I would love to get in on another group buy! There are several people in our reef club here that would probably be game as well. Thanksgiving time sounds good.

Been trying to get on VIP Reef's website this weekend but it has been down for maintenance??

David

Pick one up over the weekend so you have a day or two to monitor it. Even if you have a day off you'll likely be fine. Just prepare for it's arrival by clearing out a small space near the sand that is away from your other corals. When placing it turn off the pumps in the tank and wait 30 minutes for it to attach. Chances are if it moves at all it will do so on the first or second day in your tank. Unlike most other nems rock flowers tend to stay put once they find a spot they like.

On another note, for those of you interested in doing another group buy I would be more then happy to work something out like last time! If we can get enough people in sometimes around thanksgiving or over the winter holidays, I'll be home at those times and we can get some to all the people who didn't have a chance to get in on last group buy

I'd be interested in a group buy. I don't think I was around for the last one, so I don't know quite how it works. But I know I want one, and I know VIPReef has very pretty RFA's!

On a somewhat related note... anyone able to browse vipreef.com recently? Seems to have been down since Friday.

I had some money unexpectedly become available and was planning on fleshing out my RFA garden, only to be left hanging. :(

On a somewhat related note... anyone able to browse vipreef.com recently? Seems to have been down since Friday.

I had some money unexpectedly become available and was planning on fleshing out my RFA garden, only to be left hanging. :(

Been down for me too. I figured they were out at MACNA so didn't know it got borked. What terrible timing for you!

Hopefully I can participate in a Thanksgiving-ish group buy. I would be tankful for RFAs!

Ah it's no big deal. If I were sweating a 4-7 day delay in getting something I'd be in the wrong hobby.

Huh, I saw what you did there. Feel shame and remorse for inflicting yet more puns upon an unsuspecting Internet.

• Like 1

Huh, I saw what you did there. Feel shame and remorse for inflicting yet more puns upon an unsuspecting Internet.

ROFL It was an honest to goodness typo! But a most fortunate one. :D

• Like 1

Im about to get my RFA today...so excited!!! im wondering if I should QT it for ich preventative, I don't want ich to transfer into my DT again after treating my pair of clown for 8 weeks in hypo. Is multiple tank water dips enough to get rid of source water and keep ich transferring close to none?

My Rfa hasn't been eating when spot fed. Are they pretty aggressive eaters normally. His coloration has stayed the same and has only moved about 2 inches since he was added a week ago.

Im about to get my RFA today...so excited!!! im wondering if I should QT it for ich preventative, I don't want ich to transfer into my DT again after treating my pair of clown for 8 weeks in hypo. Is multiple tank water dips enough to get rid of source water and keep ich transferring close to none?

I don't believe rock nems can have ich so you shouldn't have to QT.

My Rfa hasn't been eating when spot fed. Are they pretty aggressive eaters normally. His coloration has stayed the same and has only moved about 2 inches since he was added a week ago.

Are you putting food at it's tentacles so it can roll it up? Try vary what you feed it maybe. Buy a scallop, chop it up & freeze it or try some raw shrimp. It should even react to cyclopeeze, mine puffs up funny.

• Like 1

Are you putting food at it's tentacles so it can roll it up?

Depending on which RFA it is, mine don't respond much unless the food tickles the tentacles. If it lands other places on their face, they don't seem to recognize it.

Yeah, that's the nice thing, they don't move much - if they are happy where they are they may only move around on the same rock from time to time.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's the nice thing, they don't move much - if they are happy where they are they may only move around on the same rock from time to time.

Thanks for the response, currently my RFA moved onto a rock and is attached vertically making it difficult to feed even with the pumps off. I suppose I could rotate the entire rock then feed. I'll have to make some sheilds otherwise my cleaner shrimp will eat before the RFA can get a chance.

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic