Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

They do!

I’ll have to take a picture of one of mine when it does it’s “I just got ran over by a truck” impersonation. You’d think it’s never coming back from that but it always does! 

HAHA I'd love to see that :-)

• Like 2
On 12/4/2018 at 1:15 PM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

HAHA I'd love to see that 🙂

The one in the foreground isn’t the one that usually does it but he’s a perfect example - clearly hungover and has been like that since last night...but then look at the others behind it - perfectly fine. There’s even a couple of babies right beside it that are fine. So it’s like c’mon buddy - shake it off.

32347749328_7ab7045a32_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 12/3/2018 at 6:29 AM, SeaFurn said:

I’ve never read that and from my experience that doesn’t seem to be the case. See my post above (from IG) and you’ll see the babies around it’s mom. She has ridged tentacles. I have another that has babies who has ridges tentacles as well. 

If there’s a way to tell I haven’t figured it out yet.

Thanks SeaFurn no doubt your female does not have the smooth tentacles. So it turns out the "sexing" of the RFA's has been based on the seller/vendor noticing the fact that babies always appear in the bags that have adults with smooth tentacles only. So nothing scientific just observations over time. Your female with babies proves that this smooth tentacle theory is not correct. Thanks for your help. ATB Clutch

• Like 2

Thought I would update the progress of the baby rock anemones. I still have around ~200 babies in my 30g tank. There appears to be three dominate color types (green, orange, and yellow with orange center). The larger ones are getting to be about the size of a dime. My plan is to wait until they get about the size of a quarter and then setup a frag tank and start taking them out to sell. Here is a pic I snapped last night.

31366592917_920ff8e3e3_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 7
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, MockandRoll said:

Thought I would update the progress of the baby rock anemones. I still have around ~200 babies in my 30g tank. There appears to be three dominate color types (green, orange, and yellow with orange center). The larger ones are getting to be about the size of a dime. My plan is to wait until they get about the size of a quarter and then setup a frag tank and start taking them out to sell. Here is a pic I snapped last night.

omg lol I'm so jealous you have no idea

HookedOnAquariums
1 hour ago, MockandRoll said:

When you start selling I’m already in line

• Like 2
14 hours ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

When you start selling I’m already in line

Sure. I will let you know when I start removing them. 

15 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Lol. Well my wife isn't happy that I will be setting up another tank in the house.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
6 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

I want to buy more!!!  There doesn’t seem too many in stock anywhere these days. 

I have some tank raise nickle and quarter size. I'm in North of orange county...I don't ship though

4 hours ago, ngvu1 said:

I have some tank raise nickle and quarter size. I'm in North of orange county...I don't ship though

Hmmmm.... I’m only about 20-30 min from there. 

On 11/12/2018 at 9:10 PM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I want baby rock flowers 😑 I have 4 was hoping for some males and females and something by now

On 12/13/2018 at 5:26 PM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I've had RFA's for 3-4 years now, and I've only caught them spawning once!! I did spot a few babies, a day or two after I moved to a new house, but I had a lot of tank issues after the move and I'm pretty sure I lost them. That was about 8 months ago. 

• Sad 3
  • Wow 1
4 hours ago, tofer said:

This is how 2 of the babies are looking  the are 2 others that are similar . 

95C8A21D-C10D-4E37-AB34-A35C37E55B2E.jpeg

2DD8084C-0D8A-4EF1-BABB-2F2F1DC9E33F.jpeg

They are looking blue in the photos. What color are they under the actinics? 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
On 12/20/2018 at 5:54 PM, kimberbee said:

I've had RFA's for 3-4 years now, and I've only caught them spawning once!! I did spot a few babies, a day or two after I moved to a new house, but I had a lot of tank issues after the move and I'm pretty sure I lost them. That was about 8 months ago. 

I totally missed this post Kimber...well hopefully you'll get more babies and then I'll buy some from you 😀

• Haha 1
59 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

They are looking blue in the photos. What color are they under the actinics? 

I have not looked at them  close up with the actinic lights  . Will have to do that tomorrow  night .

Why do all my RFA’s have a death wish?

One placed itself in a totally shaded spot and I had to remove the entire rock and chisel off around where it was attached to get it out after it started turning white. Luckily, that one is doing great now (though attached to the front glass panel which is not ideal). 

Now I have one that is been in a low-light area for about three months. It’s nearly impossible to hand feed because of where it is, but I try to get a mysis to it a few times a week. It’s definitely losing tenticles and color. There is no way to chisel this guy off the rock because of how it’s situated. It’s really bumming me out. 

• Sad 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

Why do all my RFA’s have a death wish?

One placed itself in a totally shaded spot and I had to remove the entire rock and chisel off around where it was attached to get it out after it started turning white. Luckily, that one is doing great now (though attached to the front glass panel which is not ideal). 

Now I have one that is been in a low-light area for about three months. It’s nearly impossible to hand feed because of where it is, but I try to get a mysis to it a few times a week. It’s definitely losing tenticles and color. There is no way to chisel this guy off the rock because of how it’s situated. It’s really bumming me out. 

That sucks, I hope it comes to its senses soon and moves for ya

1 hour ago, Kellie in CA said:

Can you place a small piece of rubble next to it or on it even so that it gets irritated and maybe moves? Or can you get some flow to hit it directly to irritate it? 

• Like 1

I've had three die within the last two months from going behind or under rocks and not getting light for weeks and then coming back out a fraction of there size and color and get shocked from the light and die within a week of moving back into the light

• Sad 2