Cultivated Reef

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, spectra said:

Not sure why but I had a bunch and only had one spawn........moved everyone to there own tank and never had another spawn.........

I'll just keep adding some till they feel frisky lol

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, tofer said:

I didn't think it was going to happen either  . Hope it happens for you either in December or the Spring  if it does always happen with the season change .

Hmm good to know.

1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I'll just keep adding some till they feel frisky lol

I had maybe 15 or so I think..........it alse depends on size I think as I noticed only the 2" and bigger ones were spawning.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, spectra said:

I had maybe 15 or so I think..........it alse depends on size I think as I noticed only the 2" and bigger ones were spawning.

Damn then I only have two possible one's 🤔

7 minutes ago, tofer said:

@SeaFurn okay I can do that  1 more question with that  do the babies get feed everyday or  just when i normally feed frozen which is 3 times a week .

You’d be fine with 3 times a week with those. I feed my brand newest ones daily but only the super small ones. I’ll go to every other day in a week or two.  Again, I only give them a tiny tiny amount until I see them close up. I actually think the amount of light they get each day is most important though. 

On 1/31/2016 at 10:16 PM, spectra said:

Well had a spawning tonight.........first time I got to see this...... https://youtu.be/iCrwXyemEqk

IMG_1428.jpg

Ok found it I knew it was in here.............had to quote my own post :lol: really miss that tank...............

after watching it again maybe it was the music and the disco lights...............

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
10 hours ago, spectra said:

Ok found it I knew it was in here.............had to quote my own post :lol: really miss that tank...............

after watching it again maybe it was the music and the disco lights...............

oh man so many rock flowers :smilie: I love it

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, tofer said:

After checking the tank last night up to 13 Babies. Spot feeding them 3 times a week when I feed the tank with frozen mysis or LRS . 

A96815E9-B43E-4CE6-8190-B84E027D59D9.jpeg

Good eyes... that one looks super tiny.  Make your color predictions now.

• 2 weeks later...

Things are going well in the flower farm except for some unwanted algae. Lots of babies to feed everyday! Posted this on IG but thought I’d share it here too. 

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

Have a question for you RFA experts. I was at our LFS picking up LRS food and a couple of corals when I saw a RFA. I've been wanting some so thought I would try this inexpensive plain Jane one to see if they would like my tank. It opened in the bag on the 1 1/2 hour drive home (yes, that's the closest LFS), stayed opens when I placed it in the tank, put it's foot down and has been acting fine- ate a piece of LRS, opens, etc. 

But after it attached I noticed this funky place on it - looks like some of the tentacles were damaged or deformed? They form a sort of lumpy ball. Hard to get a good, clear pic of the lump, but it's on the inner edge of one of the "folds" near the mouth in the red tentacles on the left.

Any ideas? Anything to worry about? 

Pics with daylight, actinic and blues.

20181201_103801.jpg

20181130_171130.jpg

20181202_081825.jpg

6 hours ago, Newstead said:

Any ideas? Anything to worry about?

I don't see anything that I can distinguish that would be a problem.  I know people push feeding, but I rarely feed mine (they stay small, but seem fine.  Try not to overfeed, especially when new or stressed.  I haven't purchased a RFA in probably a decade or more.  I probably purchased 8 or so, but now I have several dozen.  I can't remember that last time one died on me.

• Like 1

I searched here and haven't seen anything on this subject so I'm going to throw this out here, but I've recently seen on one of my favorite vendors FB page that it's possible to tell the sex of Rock Flower Anemones by the texture of the Skirt Tentacles. It's been stated that the Males tentacles are the ones that are rough and ridged and the Females tentacles are smooth. 

Has anyone following this thread seen or heard of this?  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, seabass said:

I don't see anything that I can distinguish that would be a problem.  I know people push feeding, but I rarely feed mine (they stay small, but seem fine.  Try not to overfeed, especially when new or stressed.  I haven't purchased a RFA in probably a decade or more.  I probably purchased 8 or so, but now I have several dozen.  I can't remember that last time one died on me.

Sea bass, will take a few days off the feeding and see how it does. I tried to get better pics of the lump. It is the size of a pea with tiny lumps that are a bit reddish, but not as red as the tentacles. Under daylight it looks brownish. I circled it in red in the 2nd pic.

20181202_184039.jpg

20181202_184420.jpg

14 hours ago, ClutchKargo said:

I searched here and haven't seen anything on this subject so I'm going to throw this out here, but I've recently seen on one of my favorite vendors FB page that it's possible to tell the sex of Rock Flower Anemones by the texture of the Skirt Tentacles. It's been stated that the Males tentacles are the ones that are rough and ridged and the Females tentacles are smooth. 

Has anyone following this thread seen or heard of this?  

I’ve never read that and from my experience that doesn’t seem to be the case. See my post above (from IG) and you’ll see the babies around it’s mom. She has ridged tentacles. I have another that has babies who has ridges tentacles as well. 

If there’s a way to tell I haven’t figured it out yet.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Newstead said:

Sea bass, will take a few days off the feeding and see how it does. I tried to get better pics of the lump. It is the size of a pea with tiny lumps that are a bit reddish, but not as red as the tentacles. Under daylight it looks brownish. I circled it in red in the 2nd pic.

20181202_184039.jpg

20181202_184420.jpg

It’s hard to tell. It doesn’t look like a wound and the nem isn’t covering it with its tentacles if it was. Could be just some kind of deformity. The good news it’s open and it’s tentacles look good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, tofer said:

Came home from work to this .

tested  all parameters are the same as they were Saturday . Looking for ideas .

305D56CE-2977-48CC-896A-2ED4D5774745.jpeg

It’s fine. They do that from time to time. It will fully open back up. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
51 minutes ago, tofer said:

@SeaFurn  it did open back up . It was freaky as never closed up to that extent before that I’ve seen . 

Rock flowers do some weird shit sometimes lol. Mine kinda looked like yours yesturday. 

1 hour ago, tofer said:

@SeaFurn  it did open back up . It was freaky as never closed up to that extent before that I’ve seen . 

Glad to hear that! 

14 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Rock flowers do some weird shit sometimes lol. Mine kinda looked like yours yesturday. 

They do!

I’ll have to take a picture of one of mine when it does it’s “I just got ran over by a truck” impersonation. You’d think it’s never coming back from that but it always does! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1