Top Shelf Aquatics

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

21 minutes ago, seabass said:

They really aren't very fancy either (purchased them like10+ years ago, when the fancy ones weren't offered yet).  Still maybe I'll sell them as they migrate off of the rocks (as I don't want to have to break up my rocks to remove them).

One of the interesting things about RFA's that I read is that their offspring can be totally different in color and pattern from the parents.  So even the ugly ones might produce spectacularly colored offspring...

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2012/08/27/ugly-duckling-anemones-in-a-new-light/

• Like 3
On 11/7/2018 at 8:59 AM, seabass said:

Maybe I need to get some asterina sea stars for my tank.  Not sure what my tank will look like with 50+ RFAs. :unsure:

Mostly kidding, but really don't want that many in my tank.  They really aren't very fancy either (purchased them like10+ years ago, when the fancy ones weren't offered yet).  Still maybe I'll sell them as they migrate off of the rocks (as I don't want to have to break up my rocks to remove them).

You could make some decent money selling some of those RFA's

• Like 2

Dearest Rock Flower Gods-

Has my Hannibal maybe outgrown his digs?  I got him as a hitchiker on my FL live rock.  I should mention here, I’m a noob and this is my first salt/reef tank.  He has been in the same spot for about 8 months.  Now he is on walk about all over and driving me crazy.  I thought it was a crab annoying him.  But now I’m starting to think maybe he has gotten to big for my Fluval Evo.  I know they are supposed to max out at 6in, but I think he’s closer to 7, maybe more honestly.  I’m thinking I may need to find him a new home??  Not fond of the idea because I really adore him.  I only feed him once a week- shrimp/scallops which are his favorites.  He mostly spits everything else back at me.  If I do need to rehome him, should I not have another rock flower in this tank size (12 gal display)?  Should I not be feeding as much?   Is he maybe not a rock flower like I thought?  Best photo I have at the moment as he is currently hanging out in a weird spot so I had to do some acrobatics to get a photo of him.

Thanks in advance!!

BC20788F-6462-4D3F-AD11-431FDED0570D.jpeg

• Like 4

Very cool hitchiker! Nems can be butts sometimes and go for walks, if your water quality is good then he might just be looking for a better spot to settle in. Personally I don't think anything is wrong with keeping one in a 12g tank. He is definitely a flower nem. 

• Like 1

Water is good.  I do @20% change weekly and test it about every other week as long as all looks well in a day to day basis.  Its due for a check, so I will get that on my list for tomorrow.  Water parameters have been pretty stable for a while now though and I haven’t added coral yet (that didn’t come with the rock). He’s been on walk about for about 6 weeks now. I did have a hitchiker worm kill off some snails.  I evicted the worm (small Eunice) and just got some new snails last week.  I have a bit of algae and diatoms right now because of the CUC loss but honestly it’s not that bad.  I just wondered if maybe he was feeling cramped.  I have close to 15lbs if live rock and he is currently laying on top of my rockscape and he takes up 1/3 of the total of it.  He’s a big boy.  I guess I didn’t notice how big he had gotten until I saw him all sprawled out on top today.

I do appreciate the input!

Sorry for the moonlights, but this will sort of give you perspective on his real estate in the tank.  That’s just a bit of him visible to the front, but he is laying down the entire backside of that upper 1/3 of the tank.

I like the guy, but I also don’t want to keep something in a small cage if it’s not the right thing to do.

A54F1444-D5B1-47C1-A553-029014779142.jpeg

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Opotter said:

I like the guy, but I also don’t want to keep something in a small cage if it’s not the right thing to do.

I feel that it's a totally suitable tank for that anemone.  Plus, it shouldn't get any larger.  IMO, it's a nice piece for your nano (which looks nice BTW).

Thank you!  That means a lot.  I’ve finally got it to a point where I’m nearly certain I’ve evicted all the bad hitchhikers (damn tiny gorilla mother truckers and don’t get me started on wormy satan).  But I’ve got a new top and planning to order a new prime, waiting for Black Friday deals.  Almost time for coral.. finally.  This hobby is teaching me patience (which I’m certain my mother never thought I would learn..lol).  Now I just need Hannibal to settle down and stop re-landscaping with his darn foot.

• Like 1

Your horny nems are beautiful!

i just realized today that my stock lights are loosing their oomph on my Evo.  I think my nem is looking for more light and that’s why he is restless and now perched at the top.  Problem solved (I hope.. maybe), lights needed to go anyway so I can start adding coral finally, and a reason to spend some Black Friday money 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well got a little surprise  was checking out the tank with a little black light (thanks to @seabass for sharing ) its been about 5 weeks since the spawn  and  saw these little guys . They are both not in great  spots 1 on  wavemaker holder  the other on the rock under my favia .  Is there some things I can do to improve there chances of surviving ?

IMG_4665.JPG

IMG_4666.JPG

IMG_4661.JPG

IMG_4669.JPG

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, tofer said:

Well got a little surprise  was checking out the tank with a little black light (thanks to @seabass for sharing ) its been about 5 weeks since the spawn  and  saw these little guys . They are both not in great  spots 1 on  wavemaker holder  the other on the rock under my favia .  Is there some things I can do to improve there chances of surviving ?

IMG_4665.JPG

IMG_4666.JPG

IMG_4661.JPG

IMG_4669.JPG

Congrats on the babies! They really aren’t in that bad of locations. 

Spot feeding them will help the most. Once they are a bit bigger you can move them from where they are. 

• Like 1

@tofer I literally scrape some frozen mysis from a cube and mix with a dropper of water in a medicine cup. Then I suck it all up into a pipette and squeeze it forcibly back into the cup over and over until it’s just a cloudy water mixture. I’m basically just pulverizing it a little more by doing this. 

You don’t need much food/water at all. 

Or you can do the same with some coral powdered food. 

Then just gently spot feed them. You’ll see them close up to eat it. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Maybe I need to wait longer. My oldest one is from June. Most recent is about a month. Will see what happens fingers crossed though.

Not sure why but I had a bunch and only had one spawn........moved everyone to there own tank and never had another spawn.........

• Sad 1