inTank Media Baskets

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

This is one special baby.  it has purple tops.  I don't know where the purple coming from because I have red, pink, green, yellow and orange in the big ones....color morph?

20181007_214245.jpg

• Like 5

My new RAP rock flowers are stressing me out. At first they didn't want to attach to anything.  Now they have attached, but both are in places where they are completely shaded.  I'm hoping they come to their senses after a few days.

58 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

My new RAP rock flowers are stressing me out. At first they didn't want to attach to anything.  Now they have attached, but both are in places where they are completely shaded.  I'm hoping they come to their senses after a few days.

They will come out once settle down in your water.  They don't like much flow so they will let go if put in the strong flow spots.

40 minutes ago, ngvu1 said:

They will come out once settle down in your water.  They don't like much flow so they will let go if put in the strong flow spots.

I hope so, I definitely don't have what would be considered a "high flow" tank. There isn't even a powerhead in the display. 

But I did scale back the flow for the first 2 days after I brought them home. 

So I may have saw my RFA spawn  the one was all cupped up and away from the rock and the other 2 were up off sand flat with mouths opened .  The one that was cupped had small amounts of what could be sperm drifting away from it  but not like Ive seen in videos . Turned off skimmer and return pump left on wave makers tried to use turkey baster to try to help the process but don't  know if i got any but figured it was worth a shot it .  Is this spawning behavior?

If it was they did spawn and have a successful one how long till there could be babies ?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, tofer said:

So I may have saw my RFA spawn  the one was all cupped up and away from the rock and the other 2 were up off sand flat with mouths opened .  The one that was cupped had small amounts of what could be sperm drifting away from it  but not like Ive seen in videos . Turned off skimmer and return pump left on wave makers tried to use turkey baster to try to help the process but don't  know if i got any but figured it was worth a shot it .  Is this spawning behavior?

If it was they did spawn and have a successful one how long till there could be babies ?

Sounds like it could be.  Start checking the tank every day in about 6 weeks.  Seems like it takes 6-8 weeks and they come in spurts. The best way to spot them I've found is to turn the pumps off (so the surface is calm and you can see into the tank) while the blues are on and look for tiny spots of florescence.  I've been thinking about getting one of those magnified coral viewers - that would probably work better!

4 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Sounds like it could be.  Start checking the tank every day in about 6 weeks.  Seems like it takes 6-8 weeks and they come in spurts. The best way to spot them I've found is to turn the pumps off (so the surface is calm and you can see into the tank) while the blues are on and look for tiny spots of florescence.  I've been thinking about getting one of those magnified coral viewers - that would probably work better!

Thanks for the tips ! If I want to look for small things in and out of the tank I use a magnifying app on my phone . 

23 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

The best way to spot them I've found is to turn the pumps off (so the surface is calm and you can see into the tank) while the blues are on and look for tiny spots of florescence.

My T5s aren't very good for spotting babies.  So this week, I got a black light flashlight like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DVC5Y7S/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2

I shined it on my tank with the room and tank lights off, and OMG!  I saw at least a dozen babies I had no idea were there.  They light up like GloFish.  Very useful tool for dealing with RFA babies.

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
21 minutes ago, seabass said:

My T5s aren't very good for spotting babies.  So this week, I got a black light flashlight like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DVC5Y7S/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2

I shined it on my tank with the room and tank lights off, and OMG!  I saw at least a dozen babies I had no idea were there.  They light up like GloFish.  Very useful tool for dealing with RFA babies.

I'm trying @seabass lol. I've got four flowers so I'm hoping I have some males and females. I can't wait for the day that i get some babies. 

• Like 1
On 10/11/2018 at 8:12 AM, Kellie in CA said:

How long can these little buggers stay in the shade?  It's been 4 or 5 days now. They are open and the colors still look pretty good.  

Even if I pulled out the rocks out, I doubt I could pry them off without damaging them. 

No, you can't pry them off of rocks.  There are a couple of methods, like a RO/DI icicle.  Sometimes it's easier to rotate the rock.  Sometimes I'll put a piece of rock rubble over the RFA and force it to move.  I've broken up rocks before to either remove an overhang that was shading them (or even to remove an anemone).

If it still has good color, I wouldn't worry just yet.

1 minute ago, Kellie in CA said:

How long can these little buggers stay in the shade?  It's been 4 or 5 days now. They are open and the colors still look pretty good.  

Even if I pulled out the rocks out, I doubt I could pry them off without damaging them. 

They will move themselves to get the light  they like . I would not try to pry them off the rock . 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
8 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Has anyone seen this before? The underside of my RFA has purple spots. Kind of cool looking. This is the huge rainbow one, I wonder if that is related to it?  @seabass have you seen this? 

7LSnDQw.jpg

I've seen it before. They are really cool 🙂

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I've seen it before. They are really cool 🙂

I wonder the purpose of them, biologically and/or evolutionarily. Seems sort of random 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
16 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

I wonder the purpose of them, biologically and/or evolutionarily. Seems sort of random 

I wonder if it could be a species thing?

On 10/13/2018 at 10:17 AM, seabass said:

Oh wow! I saw the picture you posted. That’s so awesome! Looks like it might work even better than the flashlight I have. 

And what a neat surprise with all those babies!!

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, jet915 said:

Another pic of my porcelain anenome crab enjoying time on my rfa....

20180917_191203.jpg

Is the RFA really big or the crab really small? Either way super cool pic!

1 hour ago, ReefCap said:

Is the RFA really big or the crab really small? Either way super cool pic!

Rfa is really big, thanks!  Funny thing, that rfa disappeared for about two months, showed up again about half the size and completely white.  After a couple weeks, started getting large again and got its color back...

• Like 2