ReefCleaners.org

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

You know, I believe that my RFAs have eaten a couple of Florida rics that weren't attached.  They must have gotten blown by the flow into a RFA.  I looked everywhere for them (even under rocks) and couldn't find them.  That's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, seabass said:

You know, I believe that my RFAs have eaten a couple of Florida rics that weren't attached.  They must have gotten blown by the flow into a RFA.  I looked everywhere for them (even under rocks) and couldn't find them.  That's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

I sort of recently lost my tailspot blenny. I'm wondering if one of my flowers nabbed him. Sucks too because I only had him for a week and he was a cool little fish. He vanished and I'm pretty sure he didn't jump. Only had a couple of gaps and they are quite small. I figured maybe my pom pom crab  got him because I have read on some rare occasions of a pom pom tagging a fish with the nems and the fish getting killed. No clue what happened...

• Sad 1

Picked this guy up from the LFS.  Much bigger than my other Rock Flowers.  This is a rock flower....right?  Now I am doubting it for some reason.  Haha.

WAE7XKW.jpg

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
43 minutes ago, paneubert said:

Picked this guy up from the LFS.  Much bigger than my other Rock Flowers.  This is a rock flower....right?  Now I am doubting it for some reason.  Haha.

WAE7XKW.jpg

Looks like one 👍

1 hour ago, paneubert said:

WAE7XKW.jpg

Yep! I have an adult that’s about 4” in diameter now that looks just like that one! 

If it's still attaching somewhat, then there is still hope.  Normally, if they like conditions, they attach within the hour (often almost immediately).  Could be stress.

Try to keep flow down until it settles in.  If you can find a nice low flow place for it, where it won't blow away, it might attach and then walk to an area it likes better.

Good luck.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

If it's still attaching somewhat, then there is still hope.  Normally, if they like conditions, they attach within the hour (often almost immediately).  Could be stress.

Try to keep flow down until it settles in.  If you can find a nice low flow place for it, where it won't blow away, it might attach and then walk to an area it likes better.

Good luck.

His mouth isn’t gaping he’s a little sticky still and when I try to move him back to a low flow place he closes and then opens back up again very quickly. I added a spin stream to the IM14 return pump to slow the flow down as well as turn it off for a while to let him try and attach again. Thanks!

13 hours ago, seabass said:

If you can find a nice low flow place for it, where it won't blow away, it might attach and then walk to an area it likes better. 

That is what happened with the one I posted a photo of yesterday.  As of this morning he has bulldozed his way thru two Maxi-Mini nems to wedge himself behind the rock.  Whomp whomp..........  We will see if he came back out once I get home from work.  It seems that mine like to hang out where I place them for the first day while the lights are on, then move overnight.

• Haha 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I have one flower that for about a month and half moved all over the tank. He has finally picked a spot lol. He moved to the back side of the tank and was there for a couple weeks then one day he started moving into view. Now his favorite spot is nestled up against my acan.....acan isn't too happy with the spot he chose though. Now there is some breathing room between them.

• Like 1
revolution1925

Hi. Last two months have some cyano issue in my tank. So when the cyano start to spread all my rfa start to dying.  I have lost all of them by Now. About 10 nems. 

So is there any connection to cyano and rfa dying guys?  What do u think? 

Thanxs and sorry about my english! 

1 hour ago, revolution1925 said:

So is there any connection to cyano and rfa dying guys

A little cyano shouldn't be a problem.  However, it can also be toxic.  Not only that, but it can be an indicator of poor water quality (which could also be the cause of their demise).  Finally, the cyano will utilize the available nutrients in the water, which the anemones can use for fuel, and can help with health (in moderate levels of course).

Sorry about your loses.  Get the cyano under control and water quality improved before attempting to add any other livestock.  Cyano seems to thrive on organics in the sand, on the rocks, as well as dissolved organics in the water.  High nutrient levels can assist the cyano bloom, but I wouldn't necessarily say they are the cause.  Sometimes, a bacterial imbalance can also cause cyanobacteria.

revolution1925

So i was running the tank with a kessil a160we with 10 nitrates and 0,012 phosphate and the tank was good with no algae at all. 

Then i add another kessil.  After couple of Days after install the second kessil my nitrates was 0 and phosphate 0,031 and the cyano and some diatoms start to show. The rfas start to dying at that time. 

Since then i still have 0 nitrates and almost 0 phosphate. 

Stiller have some cyano. Also i have lost about 80% of my snails at that time if that helps 

It's possible that the sudden increase in light also played a role in stressing the anemones.  It certainly helped the photosynthetic cyano.  Like I said, nutrients themselves are usually not the problem.  The reduction of nutrients is a result of the cyano utilizing it.

The dead snails are also due to the cyano.  Do you have a picture?  Are you sure that it's cyano and not dinos?

5 hours ago, seabass said:

It's possible that the sudden increase in light also played a role in stressing the anemones.  It certainly helped the photosynthetic cyano.  Like I said, nutrients themselves are usually not the problem.  The reduction of nutrients is a result of the cyano utilizing it.

The dead snails are also due to the cyano.  Do you have a picture?  Are you sure that it's cyano and not dinos?

I was thinking the same thing - it might be dinos.  

I had a bout of cyano for about a month, i turkey basted my rocks and sand every couple days, had high flow and it just went away without affecting any of my rfas....i think u have to be vigilent about the basting which let my corraline take over.

Picked up this little guy this evening. Acclimated shut off wave pumps put where I was looking for it to be it attached to the rock almost right away . Then it moved lower it’s a little one so I will turn on wave pumps in the am before work  just to let it settle in . Has a red face with white/ light blue tentacles. Will try to get better pic tomorrow after work 

5A1D276D-32A6-4D22-908F-CAA148F0B05C.jpeg

• Like 4

Looks a lot like my little one who likes to bury into the sand at the rock/sand interface.  The white tentacles don't make it very easy to see with white sand!  Hope yours stays more visible for you.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, paneubert said:

Looks a lot like my little one who likes to bury into the sand at the rock/sand interface.  The white tentacles don't make it very easy to see with white sand!  Hope yours stays more visible for you.  

I hope so 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I really have to figure out how to take pics of my tank lol. The color on this guy is awesome and I can't capture it good at all. Looks like I have to practice more.

Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I really have to figure out how to take pics of my tank lol. The color on this guy is awesome and I can't capture it good at all. Looks like I have to practice more.

What are you using for a camera?  Someday our smartphones will have a real white balance setting; but for now, you almost need a dedicated camera with custom white balance.  Otherwise, try upping the white light and reducing the blues.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, seabass said:

What are you using for a camera?  Someday our smartphones will have a real white balance setting; but for now, you almost need a dedicated camera with custom white balance.  Otherwise, try upping the white light and reducing the blues.

Well just dawned on me why I got orange sunglasses at fragtober fest. Here is a pic that I took using the glasses as a filter lol...soooo much better

IMG_20181006_130536.jpg

Using a Google pixel XL

• Like 3