ReefCleaners.org

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

Where are you guys getting these? I have two that came clear/dead looking and they're brown now :( id like to get some colorful ones!

VIPReef is my place of choice.

Here are two from the group by in my 28G (which I *finally* created a thread for..)

They're hanging out under the 'GSP Waterfall"..

8-13-2014nemsandgsp_zpsb6a337d1.jpg

I have two very similar to those!

003_zps605c79d1.jpg

005_zpsf9964a0f.jpg

• Like 2

Where are you guys getting these? I have two that came clear/dead looking and they're brown now :( id like to get some colorful ones!

Yep - same here - VIP Reef - Hopefully we can work another group buy like we did this summer.

• Like 1

all different and pretty. Yeah, then another time you get some that are orange, another time some that are yellow, another.... and another....funny how it works that way.

attachicon.giftc659.jpegattachicon.giftc657.jpegattachicon.giftc656.jpeg
Just ordered these today. Get to pick them up later this week or early next week. Now I need to find some good greens

all different and pretty. Yeah, then another time you get some that are orange, another time some that are yellow, another.... and another....funny how it works that way.

• Like 1

I like how the first two have the colors switched around on the disc and the tentacles. I might have to place an order with VIP next month to add to the collection

post-80649-0-11157000-1408852413_thumb.jpgpost-80649-0-83444600-1408852441_thumb.jpgpost-80649-0-19486100-1408852618_thumb.jpg

Got my rfa earlier today. Ordered them online from cherry corals but picked them up since they are local. Got a chance to walk around and look at the operation. They have a lot more that aren't posted on the website. Definitely picking up some more from them soon. The green one is even brighter in person!

• Like 1

LOVE the green one, I love how the white parts come up like flames. Unfortunately mine was doing great in the 34, and I moved it to the rock flower 60g and a couple didn't make it and it was one of them. One day I'll get another.

033_zps44a0cbae.jpg

• Like 2

LOVE the green one, I love how the white parts come up like flames. Unfortunately mine was doing great in the 34, and I moved it to the rock flower 60g and a couple didn't make it and it was one of them. One day I'll get another.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/033_zps44a0cbae.jpg.html]033_zps44a0cbae.jpg[/url]

Thank you.

I'm sorry to here that some of your rfa didn't make the transfer. Your and Mirya's tanks are what inspired me to start a rock flower garden

• Like 1

You know how it is, sometimes things happen. Now you need an orange one. You know I'm waiting, hoping the ocean could work it out to make shades of blue sometime. That and purple. Rich royal purple and carolina sky blue. That would be amazing.

You know how it is, sometimes things happen. Now you need an orange one. You know I'm waiting, hoping the ocean could work it out to make shades of blue sometime. That and purple. Rich royal purple and carolina sky blue. That would be amazing.

I'm with you on the blue. I would love a blue rfa. Until then, I'll pick up some blue zoas lol. My next purchase will be a zebra and a peachy/orange rfa

I'm with you on the blue. I would love a blue rfa. Until then, I'll pick up some blue zoas lol. My next purchase will be a zebra and a peachy/orange rfa

I think everybody should own a zebra, that was my first one, from Saltcritters.

Hi all, been following this thread for a while. I have several rock nems myself but we don't get such good colours in the UK! I'll post some pics of mine soon(ish) as a friend is currently looking after most of mine since i messed my tank up moving house.

Just wanted to share a link to this video on a thread i found of a rock nem spawning. The author is using a high end camera and it appears you can see eggs swirling round in the tentacles of the nem which is something i've not seen before! Close up of this is from 1:22 onwards. Cool video as well so thought worth sharing on the thread.

If it's ok to do so i'll post a link to original thread - its on a different forum so not sure if allowed.

I was on an out of state trip earlier this week that took me near Tropicorium. Dick Perrin, the owner of Tropicorium, is the author of "Captive culture of the rock anemone, Epicystis crucifer" that appeared in Coral magazine 2 years back. I was of somewhat mixed feelings about going to Tropicorium. Since Mr. Perrin published that article, he plead guilty to illegal trafficking in marine life. However, I ultimately figured that viewing and potentially purchasing his RFAs would be contributing to aquaculture, so I decided to stop on by. Mr. Perrin was pretty pleased to hear that it was his article in Coral that caused me to drop by.

Tropicorium is literally built off the back of the Perrin household, as a series of very large holding tanks kept in a lean-to behind the house. The holding tanks are lit by the sun, but there are also some supplemental halides on tracks. (Those weren't on though, I suspect they are for the winter.) There were two holding tanks with tons of trays of RFAs. Mr. Perrin told me he lays rubble in the bottom of the trays, then packs a coarse gritty sand over the rubble. This is to encourage the RFAs to extend their foot through the finer sand and attach onto the rubble without going all the way down to the bottom of the tray to solidly attach. This way he can get babies and adults out of the trays easily.

Here is a tray with adults:

RFAbreeders_zpse84dabf9.jpg

And right next to that tray is a tray of babies!

RFAbabies_zpsae231b9a.jpg

I wish I could have captured how well some of those tiny babies fluoresced under the actinic flashlight I was using to view the nems.

I ended up purchasing 3 RFAs. The prices were quite reasonable. Ironically, the most expensive one is kinda the least impressive, but I know it is a rare color - a gold tentacled RFA. Here she is nestled beteen Zed and one of my other RFas:

newnem3_zps85804cc9.jpg

I also picked up a red tentacled zebra face:

newnem2_zpsd4ee7c8e.jpg

And lastly, my favorite of the bunch. This one looked so drab out in the natural sunlight of the greenhouse, but looks amazing IMO under my LEDs:

newnemb_zps6613e8a8.jpg

Just wanted to share a link to this video on a thread i found of a rock nem spawning. The author is using a high end camera and it appears you can see eggs swirling round in the tentacles of the nem which is something i've not seen before! Close up of this is from 1:22 onwards. Cool video as well so thought worth sharing on the thread.

If it's ok to do so i'll post a link to original thread - its on a different forum so not sure if allowed.

Thanks for sharing that video! Amazing. You can post a link AFAIK.

• Like 2

Nice, you went to the source for that article. That's awesome. I have a gold nem too. It is pretty, I just can't get it off the rock in the 34.

But yours has a wonderfully more wild look about it and the white tentacles are so awesomely long. It's striking, that's for sure. They look a little like sisters. Oh hey, by the way, I've started more of paleo diet the last 2 wks and I start the Whole30 challenge on Mon, unfortunately I am going to the beach Tues- Fri and one cardinal rule I am going to break- alcohol. With what I did the last 2 wks I lost 7 lbs already though and sugar cravings are non-existent, mid morning and mid afternoon lethargy or craving also gone.

012_zpsf7c73c0e.jpg

• Like 2

I just got me one of these little guy from saltcritters.com and im so excited. I was wondering if it's a bad idea to put her in my 12g long and where is the best initial placement? Right now im not fully stocked yet so there is still plenty of free spaces in the tank for her to settle down. Anything caring tips or things I should look out for?

post-83775-0-52278000-1409624219_thumb.jpg

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic