ReefCleaners.org

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

SeaFurn

What's your light schedule (hours on/off) and your feeding routine?

I was looking at your Instagram page and saw you have the Innovative Marine Chaetomax how do you like it?

NoOneLikesADryTang

Today is the spring equinox... Is anyone else planning on watching their rock flowers tonight to see if there's a spawning event? 

EDIT : I also told my tank keeper, that we may need to show these guys what to do tonight... If you know what I mean! lol

• Haha 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Today is the spring equinox... Is anyone else planning on watching their rock flowers tonight to see if there's a spawning event? 

I will to see, I didn't really know when they spawned so I'm gonna look tonight. I wonder if it happens with lights out or on...

5 hours ago, ReefFish said:

SeaFurn

What's your light schedule (hours on/off) and your feeding routine?

I was looking at your Instagram page and saw you have the Innovative Marine Chaetomax how do you like it?

Moonlights from 10am-12pm

Full lighting (it’s just an on/off Nanobox Quad) from 12pm-7pm

Moonlights from 7pm-9pm

I don’t feed the adult RFAs. They get enough particles from target feeding the babies when the pumps turn back on.

When the babies are first born I feed them everyday.

After they get some size I feed them every 2-3 days.

In genera, I think the extra nutrients help but I believe that the proper lighting and flow they get is way more important. 

If I have to be away for work, I really don’t even stress if I don’t feed them for a week. 

I really like that chaetomax light - it grows nuisance algae like gangbusters! 😂

Seriously, it’s a nice light. I like the size, how it clamps to the sump, and the ability to adjust it side to side after it’s mounted. The problem is I just don’t have the enough/the right mix of nitrates and phosphates so the nuisance algae outcompetes the chaeto. At least that’s my theory. The tank is way too “clean”.  I do see some chaeto growth and it’s not disintegrating so that’s good. 

• Thanks 1
On 3/19/2019 at 4:18 PM, BulkRate said:

I really, really need to rescape when/if I upgrade.  BTW - wow!  Definitely having a "student has become the master" kind of moment here, Seafurn.  😎

Good to hear from you! 

Yes, get that upgrade started! You been talking about for 2 years!

Yeah, things have been going good! I’ve learned sooo much.

And it’s neat to see all the interest people have in RFAs and breeding them. I try to help anyone who asks. I’m now even getting messages

/questions from some pretty well known YouTubers who want to start breeding tanks. 

But, I gotta give you credit for all the tips, advice, knowledge to get me pointed in the right direction from the start. I really appreciate it! 

• Like 1

And the funny thing is that I got a lot of of my getting started info from Mirya, Flowermama and a few other notables from around here on NR.  Most of it in this thread back when it was a wee 20-odd pages or so.  😉

Seriously... you really took this and ran with it.  So is that pic a top-down of the main tank you were starting when we did that group anemone purchase a few months back?  Or of the baby 'nem holding box?

48 minutes ago, BulkRate said:

Seriously... you really took this and ran with it.  So is that pic a top-down of the main tank you were starting when we did that group anemone purchase a few months back?  Or of the baby 'nem holding box?

That’s just the nem box (4”x4”). It’s attached to the front glass of the main tank you saw. 

After really taking the  time to look over the tank this morning I have now counted about 45 new babies up fro the 20 new ones I thought I had . Some spots there are 4 grouped together. 

Also so one of the ones from last batch of babied 

C6295545-4969-4A05-A0C4-1BFA1079D561.jpeg

317B2626-5571-4005-86E6-4B630EEF6514.jpeg

80073FE9-E169-488A-A0D7-890BFD4E05A7.jpeg

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, tofer said:

After really taking the  time to look over the tank this morning I have now counted about 45 new babies up fro the 20 new ones I thought I had . Some spots there are 4 grouped together. 

Also so one of the ones from last batch of babied 

C6295545-4969-4A05-A0C4-1BFA1079D561.jpeg

317B2626-5571-4005-86E6-4B630EEF6514.jpeg

80073FE9-E169-488A-A0D7-890BFD4E05A7.jpeg

That's awesome!  I knew you had more than the few you originally spotted!

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

That's awesome!  I knew you had more than the few you originally spotted!

I was happy with 20 but 45 and maybe more I’m amazed and excited and nervous !  

They seem to be doing well and most on the rock work which I’m happy about . 

• Like 2
On 3/17/2019 at 9:51 PM, Baldguy said:

Others have posted on other forums the same thing.  Supposedly it is asexual reproduction.  The theory is that eventually the babies would detach.

Image may contain: plant, flower, outdoor and water

That is our RFA.   We've managed to get if off the rock and put it into a glass cup so that we can monitor the babies growth.   The babies are visibly bigger now, but all still attached underside of the RFA after 3 weeks.

20190328_171957.jpg

20190328_171856.jpg

20190328_171824.jpg

• Like 4
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, j_wey said:

That is our RFA.   We've managed to get if off the rock and put it into a glass cup so that we can monitor the babies growth.   The babies are visibly bigger now, but all still attached underside of the RFA after 3 weeks.

20190328_171957.jpg

20190328_171856.jpg

20190328_171824.jpg

Awesome. Keep us posted. I’m also keeping an eye on mine that’s got a growth also. 

4 hours ago, j_wey said:

20190328_171957.jpg

20190328_171856.jpg

20190328_171824.jpg

This is so interesting. Can you tell us more about it? 

How many nems do you have in the tank?

Are these Florida/Caribbean variety RFAs? 

Was there a spawning in your tank before you discovered them? 

Has the nem ever had babies before? 

How long do you think they’ve been there? 

On 3/28/2019 at 10:10 PM, SeaFurn said:

This is so interesting. Can you tell us more about it? 

How many nems do you have in the tank?

Are these Florida/Caribbean variety RFAs? 

Was there a spawning in your tank before you discovered them? 

Has the nem ever had babies before? 

How long do you think they’ve been there? 

We have 9 RFAs in our tank, and are all on the left side of the tank.   I believe they should be Florida/Caribbean variety, but not certain as we have no way to know.   We got them from winning the FB raffle from Monster Reef (not there anymore) on Oct/2018.   So their RFAs have been in our tank for about 6 months now.  We never observed any spawning activity, nor they have any babies before.   We found two RFA's are doing this.  The one that has over 10 babies is the big/fat one in the original picture (now in the glass cup in below FTS).   There is another smaller RFA that has only 1 baby head under it.   Judging from the baby size & growth, we think it started a couple of months ago, in January.  The picture was taken at 10pm, so some of the corals have retrieved a bit.  

20190328_223714.jpg

• Like 4
On 3/28/2019 at 6:03 PM, j_wey said:

20190328_171957.jpg

20190328_171856.jpg

20190328_171824.jpg

Glad you saw that pic of yours I posted.  Hope you don't mind.  I've gotten some from Monster Reef myself and they are certainly Carribean/Florida rfa's.  I'd seen some others with buds but not one with as many as yours.  How big is that mother?  Looks like 3 or 4 inches?

18 hours ago, Baldguy said:

Glad you saw that pic of yours I posted.  Hope you don't mind.  I've gotten some from Monster Reef myself and they are certainly Carribean/Florida rfa's.  I'd seen some others with buds but not one with as many as yours.  How big is that mother?  Looks like 3 or 4 inches?

Ok to use the pic.  

The mother is about 3".   Attaching a picture of the mother (left) before we remove it to the glass cup.   The one on the right, which is about the same size, does not have any baby.   Both RFAs like to get to the top of the rock to get more light, others are on the sand-bed or away from direct light. 

20190315_162035 (1).jpg

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, j_wey said:

No a problem.  

The mother is about 3".   Attaching a picture of the mother (left) before we remove it to the glass cup.   The one on the right, which is about the same size, does not have any baby.   Unlike other RFAs in the tank, these two like to move to the top of the rock to get more light.

20190315_162035 (1).jpg

Also, a couple of pictures we never show before.  This RFA seems to have a lot of purple pores underside when compared to others.

20190305_173628.jpg

20190305_173643.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
50 minutes ago, j_wey said:

Also, a couple of pictures we never show before.  This RFA seems to have a lot of purple pores underside when compared to others.

20190305_173628.jpg

20190305_173643.jpg

Mine have those purple spots on their underneath sides too. 

It's interesting that the tentacles of the ones on the underneath side are about the same size as the main one  (maybe a little smaller)- or that's the way it looks. It makes me think those aren't babies at all, just some conjoined twins that have been there all along - especially since they haven't detached. I think they may be a permanent part of the nem. Do you think that could be the case?  Do the smaller ones ever move or are they always in the same place on the bigger one? 

On 3/15/2019 at 1:47 PM, Newstead said:

Help us out, folks. Our plain Jane RFA moved back to the front of a rock yesterday and looked fine (first pic). I dosed my usual mag & alk last night, then an hour later 2 ml of H202 (24 gal water volume) because 1) There was a slight red dusting on some glass and sand, and 2) I am an idiot. This morning the anemone has bleached out. It did eat some LRS this morning. I know there is a largish white worm, I believe a bristleworm, in that rock. 

Is the RFA on its way out? Could it have been the H202 or the worm?

20190216_141344.jpg

20190315_123118.jpg

How’s the bleached out nem doing? 

• Thanks 1
On 3/30/2019 at 12:45 PM, SeaFurn said:

Mine have those purple spots on their underneath sides too. 

It's interesting that the tentacles of the ones on the underneath side are about the same size as the main one  (maybe a little smaller)- or that's the way it looks. It makes me think those aren't babies at all, just some conjoined twins that have been there all along - especially since they haven't detached. I think they may be a permanent part of the nem. Do you think that could be the case?  Do the smaller ones ever move or are they always in the same place on the bigger one? 

Since this is the first time it ever happened, so we don't know what will happen next.  From what I have observed, these small "babies" grow out of these pores, and stay attached to the mother, so they don't move around at all.  It is possible that they come out at different times as they have various sizes.  We had a chance to 'flip' the RFA in the glass cup yesterday and took some pictures on its underside.   The 'babies' have no mouth yet.  Since we first found them about a month ago, each have grown just a little.  

20190329_222406.jpg

20190329_222318.jpg

On 3/30/2019 at 8:43 PM, SeaFurn said:

How’s the bleached out nem doing? 

So far, so good. I happened to check he tank with a red light at 2 am last week and it had climbed up on the Duncan stalk at the top of the rock and was starring to let go. Lucky I saw it - I grabbed a shot glass and caught it with my hand as it let go. Put it in the glass and the next day moved it to a PVC cap in the sand at the base if it's rock. It is eating and starting to regain color. This is it today under daylight bulbs.

Thanks for asking, Sea turn!

20190403_154553.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

So we all know RFAs can pretty much take care of themselves and if you have a anemome crab they can also help with the caretaking.  But sometimes these not so bright creatures can get themselves all tied up in the ring they slough off from their base from time to time.  I have one that I've watched for 5 days now thinking he'd be able to figure out how to pull himself through the ring to freedom but he's just not getting it.  So, today, I finally decided to intervene and pull it off for him.  This isn't first one I've helped either....

Here's a pic with the ring acting like a rubber band folding the nem over in half before I pulled it off.  He's gotta feel better now being able to stretch out again.  You're welcome buddy.

(I'm not holding my breath for a thank you note.)

33767123008_4fd6ac7a7a_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2