Pod Your Reef

12G Long Nano Reef - Tank Crash & Recovery!!

MrNanoReef

On 3/24/2017 at 4:47 PM, Christopher Marks said:

How's your nano reef coming along @MrReefer81?

On 3/25/2017 at 9:53 AM, samnaz said:

^ I'm curious as well. This is one of my fav builds on nr.

On 3/25/2017 at 10:24 AM, MGDMIRAGE said:

Wow gorgeous 12L :)

Just did a wc yesterday and decided to do a quick video update for you guys!

Not much change going on, just waiting for things to grow out and keeping things on track. 

• Like 6
  • 5 weeks later...

Latest view of my tank this morning. Went on a 2 weeks vacation and came back with everything A..OK! :) 

Hope you enjoy this little update!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
MrNanoReef

Been wanting to do this video for a long time. This is how I spot feed my coral with my new Aquamaxx Coral Grub, this stuff smells delicious!!! :P

• Like 2
WV Reefer
1 hour ago, MrNanoReef said:

Been wanting to do this video for a long time. This is how I spot feed my coral with my new Aquamaxx Coral Grub, this stuff smells delicious!!! :P

Very nice video!

MrNanoReef
3 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Very nice video!

Thanks! I think you're the only one watching since the 100 days nano :) 

• Like 1
MrNanoReef
On 5/7/2017 at 6:12 AM, debbeach13 said:

Nom, Nom, Nom. Is that food frozen or freeze dried?

It's powder like, freeze dried I guess? It's like reef roids but a little less fine, I like it for more meaty corals like my Dendro, Acans and Micromussa.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MrNanoReef said:

FTS 5/13/17

Happy Mother's Day to all wonderful mothers!

34617754306_49425e1ec9_b.jpg

Wow, very pretty. 

• Like 1
MrNanoReef
20 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Wow, very pretty. 

Thanks :) Just got in a big coral haul, got more gluing job to do as soon as they're settled in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New FTS 6/17 on my 12G Nano Reef with the new Current-USA Orbit IC LOOP LED light on a set of custom Oceanbox Designs Lightmaxx Risers. I'm loving this light!!

I also did a minor rescape but made a huge difference to me, can you tell? Also took the time to finally glue in some frags to the rock, it took so long for me to figure out where I want to put them and imagined how they would grow up into colonies with the right amount of flow, light, and has to look right with the whole aquascape while avoiding aggressive neighboring corals.

Happy Father's day weekend!

35364588005_d33ab69c87_b.jpg

• Like 6

Happy Father's Day! Hope dads are having a blast today with your love ones! Here is one of my new favorite special Duncan for you all. I have never liked duncan until I came across this one. It has a shade of blue and green with stripes. Anyone else have any cool duncan morph other than typical green ones? Let's see them.

34543274204_48ebffcec8_b.jpg

• Like 5
34 minutes ago, Squared said:

I was thinking of getting one of those lights for a macro tank, can you turn whites up and leave it or is always that blue?

The IC Orbit LOOP has 4 separate channel (red, white, blue, and green) that you can adjust brightness individually all the way down 0. You can fine tune the spectrum however you need. I just like to run it more blue for pics only. I usually run more white during daylight schedule. This light has a lot of potential and programming options, especially loving the rolling clouds effect that can be programmed with the regular light schedule as well.

• Like 1

So it has been a long time and I noticed some SPS didn't color up too well as much as I'd like and grow rate has been rather slow despite my effort of spot feeding with a combination of Reef-Roids, Aquamaxx Coral Grubs, mysis shrimps, and coral frenzy. The acros survived but not thriving and not growing. I haven't test my tank at all in a while (probably over 6 months) so today I decided to find out what the frag is going on.

I tested for Alk first and it was at 5.6 dKH, yikes!!! Ca was at 440, ok so that's fine! With some help from a friend @Berlibee I started manual dosing and finding out what amount I needed to dose daily and what my corals had consumed. I used this dosing calculator: http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html and dosed 10ml of B-Ionic Part 1 and 2 about 15min apart. An hour later I tested my water again with Red Pro kit and got 7.8dKH and 450Ca. I also found out that the actual water volume in my tank is only 10 gallons using the same calculator above playing with the numbers I got from my test, which was very interesting to find out. I had no idea rocks and filter media took out about 5 gallons of water!!! 

I will be testing for Alk and CA again in 24 hours to find out how much I should be dosing daily. I never really thought about dosing in such a small tank since I do 50% wc every 10 days and have been consistent with it, my thought was that it was enough to replenish any trace elements but I guess not. Time to have fun dosing!

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Sounds like you are on top of it. 

I'm trying to, I've some acros that aren't doing too well for a while now but other sps like birdsnest and monti are fine. I wanted to try some of the more expensive acros but afraid to kill them. I've recently got 2 cheap acros, one turned brown then RTN then died, the other one is on its way down the drain as well, could be stressed from shipping, could be my tank params or different number of things but at least now I know one of the issue I can correct before I introduce any more acros.

11 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

The new light would not have any thing to do with this would it? I have no SPS. So just wondering if light change has this sort of effect.

No i wouldn't think so. The 2 frags of acros I already have for nearly half a year, it shows a little bit of growth but not coloring up, perhaps the old light wasn't bright enough but the rest of the SPS looks good although very slow growth. If anything I think the new Orbit IC is helping with them coloring up more than before, when I first switched the light I dialed it way down about 30% everything and then slowly ramping up, right about at about 40% now and leaving it there.

3 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Do you use kalkwasser at all? Tank is looking great!

If I did my alk wouldn't be that low, just 50% wc every 10 days. I use Kent Marine salt which I thought had enough Alk/Ca butter but I'm fixing to switch to RPM PRO once it's used up, already bought a 200gal box ready on hand.

34 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

I use Red Sea coral pro and saturated kalkwasser in my ato and my alk is still at 8 dkh. And I've barely got any sps yet 

kalkwasser is basically the same as dosing 2 parts but I like 2 parts since I can control how much I dose separated from the top off, it's more stable that way.

Nixperience
11 minutes ago, MrNanoReef said:

kalkwasser is basically the same as dosing 2 parts but I like 2 parts since I can control how much I dose separated from the top off, it's more stable that way.

Ya except it's in an optimum ratio. With regular water changes and kalkwasser in ato, Ca stays around 450 and KH around 8. I don't have to dose anything except Mg. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Nixperience said:

Ya except it's in an optimum ratio. With regular water changes and kalkwasser in ato, Ca stays around 450 and KH around 8. I don't have to dose anything except Mg. 

Except when your ATO fail it will overdose the entire kalk, raise PH to a dangerously high level and basically nuking the tank. I just didn't like that idea at all or the fact that I have to pre-mix kalk into my Ro/di. I'm very busy working on my products so the less task the better for me. I also found a benefit for buying pre-mixed 2 parts is that it also included some trace elements (kalkwasser doesn't not). Since I already have the 2-part solutions and a dosing system on hand it's just make more sense for me to go this route.

Quote from ESV B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System:

"B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System also provides all other important major, minor, and trace elements in the proper ratios to duplicate the composition of natural seawater. As a result, B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System will help restore inorganic ions lost from protein skimming and help maintain the ionic balance of the aquarium water. "