SaltCritters.com

12G Long Nano Reef - Tank Crash & Recovery!!

MrNanoReef

MrNanoReef

Your diy skills are great. That sump/refugium is pretty sweet. Nice job.

Thank you guys. It was very heavy on the labor for me as this is my first time attempting a build like this, took me a few hours just to do the flame polishing, but it was a fun project and i really enjoyed the build.

MrNanoReef

Im having a hard time figuring out corals placement and having 2nd thought about my current rockscape, i like how the right side look but not so much the left side. Anyone have any suggestion on re-scaping or leave it as is?

Well onto a more important issue. Made a 2nd ATO today for my QT tank. I haven't setup any ATO for neither tank, been doing manual top off for almost 6 months now. Waiting to setup my DIY sump then I can finally install float switch inside the overflow box, there is no space right now with the DIY skimmer and AC70 in there. Still need to make mounting bracket for float switch. Got a vacation first week of August so gotta get all these setup by then.

14650923993_f890944330_z.jpg

14444387709_b9a4aed5ae_z.jpg

• Like 1

Black dyed PVC fittings for my DIY sump/refuge, im all against spray painting so i went another route. Turn much better than I expected.

14468148547_24ffb729aa_z.jpg

• Like 1

Here is my take on making a float switch mount, this is going in my QT tank. Still thinking about adding an airline tube holder on top of the mount but this will do for now.

14664515875_28fb433d78_z.jpg

14664154072_8cd6d5016d_z.jpg

• Like 3

Another great set of DIY projects, awesome photos as well! Do the red/yellow/orange/blue dots on the ATO boxes mean something are they lights? Care to elaborate a bit more on the PVC dying process? I always just spray paint mine...still amazed at how cleanly you can fab up all these parts!

• Like 1

Thanks Chou. The ATO red LED is power status, green LED is on when pump is running. On the 2nd unit, I just switched green to blue LED. The mount took me about 5 tries to get that result, I messed up a few bends and even drilled holes on the wrong side...lol, but learned something new every time. I actually did a video for the PVC dying but I posted over on my DIY sump thread so here you go.

• Like 2

Found a small but major problem with the float switch snail guard, forgot to drill holes on top of the bracket for air to come out, so once the water come down it can't never go back up again therefore the switch will never float back up to shut off the pump, would be a total disaster if i wasn't testing it first, fortunately I did.

The good news is im finally done with the DIY sump/refugium, boy this was long overdue! Getting ready to install and seeing it in action, finger crossed it will work the way I expected and at the same time I'll be moving corals and snails army from QT...feels like this is a major update since the beginning...excited!!! :)

14498712909_b0f6947606_z.jpg

14685065812_3382239799_z.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

Found a small but major problem with the float switch snail guard, forgot to drill holes on top of the bracket for air to come out, so once the water come down it can't never go back up again therefore the switch will never float back up to shut off the pump, would be a total disaster if i wasn't testing it first, fortunately I did.

I had the same issue when I built a little snail guard out of a clear plastic epoxy tube. Needless to say I came home to my back chamber almost 1/4" from the top rim and luckily the 1 gallon RODI jug empty,,,wont make that mistake ever again lol

• Like 1

So, you made a How To video, about dying pipe.

Then, ENDED it with "Is it reef safe? I dont know...."

*smh*

Well like I said it was an experiment. Just installed my DIY sump/refuge yesterday and using it on my own tank and so far it doesn't seems to have any affect at all to invert and fishes, probably less likely to corals as well. I'll probably do an update video later once I know for sure, corals going in today from QT.

Quick shot of DIY sump in action. Dyed parts still have no effect on any living things in this tank, corals and fish are happy. Got so busy, no video yet guys.

14695836166_ab50583711_z.jpg

• Like 4

Man that tank looks amazing so far. Have you thought about getting a mesh top instead of the egg crate? I need to do that as well once I get fish again.

• Like 1

Man that tank looks amazing so far. Have you thought about getting a mesh top instead of the egg crate? I need to do that as well once I get fish again.

Thank you so much. Funny you should mention that, im working on one right now, got sick of crappy egg crate cover and my snails are still able to crawl out, every now and then I have to flick them off and back into the tank...lol

14726574505_80ab747af5_z.jpg

Man that looks awesome! If you ever thought about selling those I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

Thanks man. I'm glad to hear that. I had that in mind however the problem is how much are people willing to pay for one, it does take a lot of work for me to do one as all work are hand made and im paranoid about imperfection...lol. A CPR Aquafuge 2 Large size is $300 and doesn't even come close as far as versatility and filtration options plus you're stuck with the built-in skimmer, then they have a factory full of people to work on these and I'm on my own, you do the math :). I guess if enough people are interested at the right price I may change my mind and I could include a pump and an air stone skimmer as an option to complete the complete filtration package. Until then, lets that be something to consider :)

• Like 1

Thanks man. I'm glad to hear that. I had that in mind however the problem is how much are people willing to pay for one, it does take a lot of work for me to do one as all work are hand made and im paranoid about imperfection...lol. A CPR Aquafuge 2 Large size is $300 and doesn't even come close as far as versatility and filtration options plus you're stuck with the built-in skimmer, then they have a factory full of people to work on these and I'm on my own, you do the math :). I guess if enough people are interested at the right price I may change my mind and I could include a pump and an air stone skimmer as an option to complete the complete filtration package. Until then, lets that be something to consider :)

Yea i'm sure it's nothing easy to make, but I could see people paying around $300 once you sold a few so people could see how well it's built and get the idea out there. But it's kinda of a hard selling something diy like that at such a high price at least until you get some product out there. But I still think they are sweet haha!

• Like 1

Yea i'm sure it's nothing easy to make, but I could see people paying around $300 once you sold a few so people could see how well it's built and get the idea out there. But it's kinda of a hard selling something diy like that at such a high price at least until you get some product out there. But I still think they are sweet haha!

Exactly, its a whole different story about selling a custom product and a mass retail product, but then again, retail product isn't flaw proof either. To me what set a custom product apart is that it is fully customize-able, as in I could change the dimension to fit your tank needs, and a retail product is only what available to you, which in my case can't work. I will admit a this may not be 100% perfectly made as a retail product but In the end, it should come to build quality, functionality, and most importantly it will work for your tank that's what matter, that is why im doing this to begin with.

• Like 1

Exactly, its a whole different story about selling a custom product and a mass retail product, but then again, retail product isn't flaw proof either. To me what set a custom product apart is that it is fully customize-able, as in I could change the dimension to fit your tank needs, and a retail product is only what available to you, which in my case can't work. I will admit a this may not be 100% perfectly made as a retail product but In the end, it should come to build quality, functionality, and most importantly it will work for your tank that's what matter, that is why im doing this to begin with.

And even if you just made them to size for people that really wanted them and were willing to pay the extra $$$ it be cool!

Page 4 WOOOOP!

• Like 1