Top Shelf Aquatics

12G Long Nano Reef - Tank Crash & Recovery!!

MrNanoReef

Thanks guys! getting ready for San Francisco trip, be back in a week. I hope to get the rest of the tank done before Christmas. Still have some challenging final DIY projects to complete the build, on top of my head being acrylic canopy top and back cover, light cover, all will be white to match the stand. See you all when I get back and happy reefing! :)

• Like 1

Thanks to Tamberav for sending me a good amount of macro, enough to stuffed my nano sump...awesome! the first package got lost so she sent it again, shame on USPS!

14624711297_806c692959_z.jpg

• Like 5

Some eyes candies for you guys in the mean time. These are the very first batch of corals in the tank and doing incredibly well, some Zoas, Palys, Candy Cane, Monipora, Hammer, Frogspawn, Mushroom, Acans, and one unknown.

14811020162_ac9d624bac.jpg

14624668940_54d6c48518.jpg

14809001014_9cdc860e97.jpg

14624669040_4cf07117d2.jpg

14624743948_36e5509c89.jpg

14811020422_fc8c0b6879.jpg

14624669130_14113c4e3f.jpg

14808269681_9d725f57a4.jpg

14808269711_699e94896d.jpg

14624744048_391fc8e70e.jpg

14624718569_b35851b3cd.jpg

14788373356_604c22f2be.jpg

14624718659_8b6d16e448.jpg

• Like 5

Really digging the DIY in this thread. You have an excellent eye for detail, it all looks great. Well done :).

Thank you. I just got back from San Francisco trip. Really looking forward to finishing this tank.

• Like 1

Ack, I don't know how I missed your update. Sweet looking new frags, and some great macro for your sump. Your photos are so sharp! Do you use an editing program for color correcting? They look blue without that obvious, I'm-shot-under-insane-blue-light quality.

• Like 1

Ack, I don't know how I missed your update. Sweet looking new frags, and some great macro for your sump. Your photos are so sharp! Do you use an editing program for color correcting? They look blue without that obvious, I'm-shot-under-insane-blue-light quality.

Thank you. Yes, I tried to make them looks real without intense color boost, i used Lightroom 5, all you ever need.

New corals look great and the pics are awesome. +1 on your technique for taking such sharp and color correct photos.

Thank you. I've been into the photography hobby for a while now, which I might add another expensive and addicting hobby to a reef tank.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Since the tank is so shallow, there isnt a whole lot of light difference from the sandbed to the top of rocks. Id still place more branching type corals and SPS on the top of rock but due to the design of the tank you can put things pretty much wherever it looks aesthetically pleasing.

I try to seperate colors and shapes. Clusters of the exact same species (zoas, acans, etc) look good too if each of them is of similar size but each has a different color.

Place corals that as less light demanding, or have more aggressive sweeping tentacles under your overhangs and pedestal.

Your design will eb and flow as corals change but keep some places open for specific corals/colors that you have your eye on. This lets your corals encrust onto the rocks and leaves a space for that sweet orange piece without distrubing the green and purple corals that are already growing.

• Like 1

Since the tank is so shallow, there isnt a whole lot of light difference from the sandbed to the top of rocks. Id still place more branching type corals and SPS on the top of rock but due to the design of the tank you can put things pretty much wherever it looks aesthetically pleasing.

I try to seperate colors and shapes. Clusters of the exact same species (zoas, acans, etc) look good too if each of them is of similar size but each has a different color.

Place corals that as less light demanding, or have more aggressive sweeping tentacles under your overhangs and pedestal.

Your design will eb and flow as corals change but keep some places open for specific corals/colors that you have your eye on. This lets your corals encrust onto the rocks and leaves a space for that sweet orange piece without distrubing the green and purple corals that are already growing.

Thanks man, that really help a lot. I think i'll move hammer under the overhang for starter. I guess I need to purchase a few more corals and see where everything need to be. These are what I have in mind at the moment as new additions.

Pink Bird nest, Purple Gorgonian (photosynthetic type), GSP, Green Toadstool, Red or Purple Monti Cap, Sunset Monti, Pulsing Xenia, different colors zoas and acans. What do you think about these? is there particular one i should be avoiding?

Id avoid the Xenia and maybe gsp, it can quickly overtake small tanks. If you do either of them put them on their own small rock away from anything else.

• Like 1

Id avoid the Xenia and maybe gsp, it can quickly overtake small tanks. If you do either of them put them on their own small rock away from anything else.

Thanks for the tips. For the GSP, i plan to just attach it to the back of the tank directly on the overflow box so it's separated. Xenia has really mesmerizing pulsing action that's why i wanted to get one, specifically the white pom pom xenia: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+1492+2295+2366&pcatid=2366 but I will reconsider it may be after adding the other corals.

Got some goodies coming today...excited! decided to skipped GSP and Xenia for now.

2x Ultra Red Acans
Tyree Toadstool
Red Monti Cap
Purple Monti Cap
Superman Monti
Purple Gorg (Photosynthetic)
Lazer Lava Zoas
Eagle Eye Zoas
Red People Eater Palys
Pink Birdsnest
Green Pocillopora
Monet Zoas

New corals arrived 8-26-14 @ 9:30am.

Superman monti looks dead but we'll see...everything else looks great, even opened up while acclimating, love that purple gorg :)

14868164860_3c33089ec7_z.jpg

15054828965_021d078f48_z.jpg

• Like 6

Just bit the bullet for a new order from Reefgardener, got some hard to find SPS I've been eyeing on and a alien tip torch, can't wait to get them in. The price isn't the best I've seen but im sure I'll get what I pay for. Am I overstocking? hell yes!!! but isn't that the fun in this hobby? figured when I everything is overgrown, i'll trade or sell them off. I'm officially addicted by the way :)

Your Order Contains:

• 1 x Superman Montipora
  • 1 x X-Factor Montipora foliosa
  • 1 x Tropical Rainbow Montipora
  • 1 x Radioactive & Gold ricordea
  • 1 x Alien Green Tip Torch Coral
  • 1 x Tyree Sunset Montipora
  • 1 x Ultra Grape Jam Tonga Mushrooms
  • 1 x ORA Birds of Paradise Birdsnest
  • 1 x Fuchsia Stylophora
  • Like 2

Going crazy...3 orders in a week, is there a drug for this addiction? Gotta sell off some RC heli stuff and camera lenses to recoup. What I really want is the Red Rock Flower Anemone, anyone know if it's a bad idea to put one in this tank? I figure I'd place her in first, let her settle down then work the other corals around.

Saltcritters.com order

Your Order Contains:

• 1 x Blastomussa Merletti Coral #A99
  • 1 x Red Rock Flower Anemone #10
  • 1 x Blastomussa Wellsi Coral #C64
  • 1 x Blastomussa Wellsi Coral #C72
  • 1 x Ricordea Florida Coral #A157
  • 1 x Ricordea Florida Coral #A199
  • 1 x Zoanthid Coral #A79
  • 1 x Ricordea Florida Coral #B17
  • Like 2

Made a bit of a change to my reefgardener order:

• 1 x Ultra Grape Jam Tonga Mushrooms (swap with Superman Mushrooms)
  • 1 x ORA Birds of Paradise Birdsnest (swap with Sweet Magenta Birdsnest)
  • Added this baby, Micro Orange Plate Coral. It was sold out but Morgan has one more for me. awesome!!!

post-83775-0-93381600-1409712159_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Holy moley...I'm blown away by this build :bowdown:

I'll surely be following along!!!!! Can't wait to seet he RFA in here :).

Thank you! Believe it or not, im still playing with my rock scape for the last time (3rd time) after 9 months...will post latest FTS soon once im done. RFA is coming tomorrow, got so many new corals coming this week, im so excited to finally stocking up the tank.

• Like 1

Thank you! Believe it or not, im still playing with my rock scape for the last time (3rd time) after 9 months...will post latest FTS soon once im done. RFA is coming tomorrow, got so many new corals coming this week, im so excited to finally stocking up the tank.

Are you sure you want to mess with it??? :lol:. Looks pretty epic as is :). Looking forward to seeing what you've done!

Holy Craftsmanship Batman!

Great work on everything, people like you make me waste $$ on attempting diy projects to then be unhappy w/ the appearence! haha

I envy your craftsmanship!

I double checked, so sorry if I overlooked but did you mention where you found the "power adapters" or whatever they are called in your post #53

• Like 1