SaltCritters.com

12G Long Nano Reef - Tank Crash & Recovery!!

MrNanoReef

And even if you just made them to size for people that really wanted them and were willing to pay the extra $$$ it be cool!

Page 4 WOOOOP!

That's the idea, custom POB (place on back) nano sump/refugium. I'll have a video to show it in action and more in details, may not have time to edit until I get back from vac. May be then you'll be my first customer? ;)

• Like 1

That's the idea, custom POB (place on back) nano sump/refugium. I'll have a video to show it in action and more in details, may not have time to edit until I get back from vac. May be then you'll be my first customer? ;)

Haha possibly, I don't need it for my current tank but i'll be putting together a new tank for when I go away to school. So I want as compact a setup as I can get. We'll need to see how small of one you can make ;)

• Like 1

Haha possibly, I don't need it for my current tank but i'll be putting together a new tank for when I go away to school. So I want as compact a setup as I can get. We'll need to see how small of one you can make ;)

Sounds good. That's what I was after, compact and easy to setup, I didn't want the hassle of hard plumping for under cabinet sump. What tank do you have in mind? I can make it as small as you need.

• Like 1

Sounds good. That's what I was after, compact and easy to setup, I didn't want the hassle of hard plumping for under cabinet sump. What tank do you have in mind? I can make it as small as you need.

Not really a specific one at the moment but more than likely a small custom cube maybe a 16 x 16 x 16

*Edit*

Actually I was just looking on pico's website at their naked series and they have a 15 x 15 x 15 so maybe that

• Like 1

Not really a specific one at the moment but more than likely a small custom cube maybe a 16 x 16 x 16

*Edit*

Actually I was just looking on pico's website at their naked series and they have a 15 x 15 x 15 so maybe that

Great tank, im sure we'll working something out by then.

• Like 1

DIY screen net cover done...bye bye egg crate! what a big difference!!! Got my shimmer back and lots more light and most importantly my fishes and snails stay in :)

14715747796_bbd330ab4b_z.jpg

FTS 7-24-2014 (8 Months).

Finally added some corals, fragged some off a friend's tank :). I decided to re-scape everything while im at it and some custom rock work glued together, I called it the "Fairy Tale" scape. I really like it this time, what do you guys/ladies think?

14552109870_9c53ff599b_z.jpg

• Like 6

Looks sweet! Did a good job on that top as well!

Thanks...really like the way it turns out, don't know how long it can hold up but it's good for now. Had some trouble with frame warping in due to the custom opening for my sump fittings so I glued a piece of acrylic for support. Last thing to do before I leave is a ATO switch mount, needs to be mounted on the rimless behind overflow box.

Nice tank man, jealous. How quiet is that hob sump? I've been wanting to put a hob sump on my tank for awhile, just worried about sound, my tank is in the living room.

• Like 1
bdevillier19

i think you got your self a future tank of the month. your attention to detail and DIY skills are top notch. if i tried to make a screen top like that it would be more wavy than a lays potato chip.

• Like 1

Nice tank man, jealous. How quiet is that hob sump? I've been wanting to put a hob sump on my tank for awhile, just worried about sound, my tank is in the living room.

Thank you. The sump is nearly silent, I can only hear water flowing out hit the water surface if the water level dropped below the outflow, but that is 1.5" below and shouldn't let it happen if you have ATO, if you don't this will alert you that you need to top off but that much drop in water level is also bad news so it shouldn't happen. It also depend on what pump you use, I use an EHEIM 600 at about 50% flow adjustment, as quiet as it gets and very reliable pump. I can slightly hear my 115 mini skimmer over this sump, although it's silent now I did the air tube mod and silencer mod.

i think you got your self a future tank of the month. your attention to detail and DIY skills are top notch. if i tried to make a screen top like that it would be more wavy than a lays potato chip.

I'm flattered to hear that, really looking forward to all the corals growing out. still need to add more once I get back from vacation.

This is coming along nicely!

Thank you. You got a nice tank, love the ric garden!

The finished product looks great. Do you have pics of the overflow/pump area? Can't wait to see it grow out.

Thank you. I can't wait either and I think im addicted! Just took these for you.

14758734482_701c977305_z.jpg

14759056575_84c540d2f8_z.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the pic. One last question, did you use a seal on the coupling through the black acrylic sheet?

Yes it's a must, rubber gasket on the inside.

I can't believe this is only 12 gallons!!! Looks 3x bigger than my 12 gallons.

I have the same impression when I first saw it, just have to get it, but with the sump now it's 18 gallon in total volume. Now when I look at my Fluval Edge 6g I laugh at myself thinking wth did I get it in the first place.

Looks great, and that new scape has me cursing myself for not being more picky on my rock selection. Your DIY work is very nice, & I agree with the above premonition that we may be looking at a future TOTM in the works :D

• Like 1

Looks great, and that new scape has me cursing myself for not being more picky on my rock selection. Your DIY work is very nice, & I agree with the above premonition that we may be looking at a future TOTM in the works :D

haha...You can always grab new rocks later. I tried not to be picky on my first scape but i realized there is no placement for corals and I didn't like the flow so rescape is a must. Using the same rocks, i had an extra piece left, took one out and smashed it up with a hammer and making some smaller pieces and custom rock column glued together with superglue and Water Weld and voila some new rocks :). Good luck with your tank! can't wait to see how it turns out.

• Like 1

I'm really interested in how you died the PVC. Do you think It would work on acrylic?

Got a how to video on page 3 :) it won't work on acrylic, but why? just buy color acrylic, much easier.