inTank Media Baskets

12G Long Nano Reef - Tank Crash & Recovery!!

MrNanoReef

MrNanoReef

Happy 4th of July everyone! 

Here is a little color explosion for you all, a trailer of a short documentary I'm working on, "A Small Ocean World". My goal is to be able to take you along on a little exploration in our nano reef aquarium. To truly appreciate how amazing all of the ocean life form existed in our tank, I will be focusing on their physical character and close up details that our eyes can't normally see. I hope by making this short film, we can all appreciate what our ocean has brought us by protecting it and bringing it even closer to our heart with your reef aquarium.

This is still in early stage of work in progress but I welcome any suggestion and specific request in the comment below. I'm also looking for a volunteer voice narrator and script writer, if anyone is interested in working together to make it an even more incredible film feel free to PM me.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, MrNanoReef said:

Happy 4th of July everyone! 

Here is a little color explosion for you all, a trailer of a short documentary I'm working on, "A Small Ocean World". My goal is to be able to take you along on a little exploration in our nano reef aquarium. To truly appreciate how amazing all of the ocean life form existed in our tank, I will be focusing on their physical character and close up details that our eyes can't normally see. I hope by making this short film, we can all appreciate what our ocean has brought us by protecting it and bringing it even closer to our heart with your reef aquarium.

This is still in early stage of work in progress but I welcome any suggestion and specific request in the comment below. I'm also looking for a volunteer voice narrator and script writer, if anyone is interested in working together to make it an even more incredible film feel free to PM me.

Wow!! :)  I cannot wait to see this completed. 

• Like 1
MrNanoReef
21 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Wow!! :)  I cannot wait to see this completed. 

Thanks Christy! Happy 4th! It's still a long shot but I'm extremely motivated in completing this. Most importantly I will need a nice narrator voice and someone with knowledge about the hobby to write a few short script for some of the scenes, possibly explaining the type of corals/fishes/inverts being shown and their characteristics.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MrNanoReef said:

New RFA babes are here alive, pretty, and happy!! B):wub:

34944502424_5d25644985_b.jpg

Acclimating!

34974559663_0287773f1a_b.jpg

Those are gorgeous RFA's!  Are they from VIP Reef?  Also, love that frag box design!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
cassianoyoung

Amazing setup. I just bought the Mr. Aqua 12 Long because of your beautiful tank. Quick question, did you really grow everything inside your tank only with the Orbit Marine LED 36" to - 48"? Are they really able to grow both soft and hard corals? Thank you so much!! CHeers, Cass

• Like 1

The Orbit is so underrated, imo. I have used both the regular and pro versions and every single coral I've put in my tank has not only survived but many have grown/are growing insanely fast - softies, lots of LPS, even some SPS like montipora grow like crazy.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
22 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

How is the 12 gallon nano reef doing these days @MrNanoReef? :) 

I was just about to post an update, I know it's way overdue but was super busy with Oceanbox Designs production. Tank has been well, things grown and things died but still mostly alive :)

• Like 2

Latest FTS I took yesterday 1/25/2018

It has been quite a long time since I do any update at all. The tank is still running great, some corals have died here and there, some came back from the dead, some just went unhappy all of a sudden, i can only blame myself for being unable to keep params stable especially with ALK but I've finally figured out my dosing pump so hopefully it'll be soon.

Can you spot what had died and what had grown? There should be 2 you can't missed that have took off like crazy. Missed my torch colony, i had to frag them up as they were getting so big but the two heads I left aren't very happy right now. Still got two heads that I fragged in good health if these are goner, so glad I didn't try to sell them off when I could.

39915143751_9518ec34be_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
7 minutes ago, MrNanoReef said:

Latest FTS I took yesterday 1/25/2018

It has been quite a long time since I do any update at all. The tank is still running great, some corals have died here and there, some came back from the dead, some just went unhappy all of a sudden, i can only blame myself for being unable to keep params stable especially with ALK but I've finally figured out my dosing pump so hopefully it'll be soon.

Can you spot what had died and what had grown? There should be 2 you can't missed that have took off like crazy. Missed my torch colony, i had to frag them up as they were getting so big but the two heads I left aren't very happy right now. Still got two heads that I fragged in good health if these are goner, so glad I didn't try to sell them off when I could.

39915143751_9518ec34be_b.jpg

That Monti is ridiculous. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just broken down this huge toxic green and purple rim monti colony to free up some space in our 12g nano. Both are very beautiful monti cap plating corals. Mainly looking for trade but will ship overnight for very reasonable cost. I’d be happy to see them keep on growing in your tank. To save time with packing and shipping I’d only split these frags into 3-4 boxes and each box will have multiple loose frags of each bagged separately. $60 shipped overnight per box or $25 local pickup in Rowlett, TX. First come first serve since I can’t hold these frags.

ORG-DSC08700.jpg.5b8239e9213ff212590eca70058ac0d0.jpg

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, MrNanoReef said:

Just broken down this huge toxic green and purple rim monti colony to free up some space in our 12g nano. Both are very beautiful monti cap plating corals. Mainly looking for trade but will ship overnight for very reasonable cost. I’d be happy to see them keep on growing in your tank. To save time with packing and shipping I’d only split these frags into 3-4 boxes and each box will have multiple loose frags of each bagged separately. $60 shipped overnight per box or $25 local pickup in Rowlett, TX. First come first serve since I can’t hold these frags.

ORG-DSC08700.jpg.5b8239e9213ff212590eca70058ac0d0.jpg

i wish i had the room!  that is a great shaped piece.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

i wish i had the room!  that is a great shaped piece.

I really wish you were, I literally have no space for them. I need space for some new exotic zoas pack I just got in and also reshape the rock they're on. Plus they grow too fast in my tank, they're slowly taking up estate blocking flow and light to the corals below. Really need them gone one way or another.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Realized I haven't update for a long time so here we go with the latest FTS. Tank still running stronger than ever! I'm starting to pickup the sense of running a successful mixed reef. The SPS are showing nice coloration as well as growth. Tank just went through a tough battle with Dino but I've managed to keep that under control almost a month now with everyone still happy and living.

Happy 4th anniversary nano reef! 🙌:happydance:

• Like 3
  • 10 months later...

This thread is dead but the tank def isn't!

Here is the latest update on the tank and its current stage. Basically a few weeks ago a tank crash happened due to a malfunctioned ATO. I was to blamed as I didn’t bother to clean the sensor float switch  for months, it got stuck on low and dumped 2.5Gal of RODI into a 12G tank. Basically that equates to drastic changes in such a small water volume and crash the tank but luckily, despite losing some lps and sps colonies, everything else are still hanging on and recovering.

After approximately 2 months I decided it’s time to remaster this tank. My initial plan was to get rid of all the dead corals, rescape, and glue all loose frags in but I what I actually did was all that plus scraped the entire back glass to remove some turf algae built up and vacuumed out the HOB sump in the back. Finally it feels like a whole new tank again! No more loose frags, no more frag racks, no more dead area or rocks touching the back glass...

This is the new 12G Reef 2.0! What do you guys think?

• Like 3