SaltCritters.com

New Royal Gramma hiding behind filter

mjs61290

So I just purchased a new royal gramma a couple of hours ago. I acclimated him to the tank and he definitely seems like a healthy fish. No heavy breathing or anything of the sort.

However, after moving about the tank for a bit, he is now just hiding behind the filter.

I have read up on this a little bit and I have seen other people sharing similar kinds of experiences with their grammas and have said they are mostly very shy fish.

Like I said; he definitely seems healthy. No erratic swimming or breathing and he pokes his head out from behind the filter every once on a while, swims about for a couple of seconds and then goes back to his hiding spot.

Is this normal behavior and maybe it's just him getting used to his new surroundings?

Yeah it's normal, he'll come out and play when he realizes he's not in danger. So unless you have another basslet or a mean psuedochromis, he'll end up ok.

Yeah it's normal, he'll come out and play when he realizes he's not in danger. So unless you have another basslet or a mean psuedochromis, he'll end up ok.

Okay cool. Yeah there are no other aggressive fish in the tank, and he actually just came out and swam around for a good three or four minutes before going back to his spot.

Thanks!

He's just acclimating. Mine is out ALL the time now.. he sees ya coming and hes like gimmi gimmi food! He'll hide for a day or 2 when I add new fish but then he realizes they don't care about him and he's back to his old self.

Nanofreak79

Yep, mine took about two weeks to swim freely throughout the tank....he still enjoys his man cave too though.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Funny little story about the little gramma. He has already made the space behind the filter his home. My clownfish went behind there to take a little peek before, and the gramma opened his mouth, snarled and chased him away. But, he is out very often now and is very friendly with everyone...unless they go by his spot. lol

Archived