Pod Your Reef

Diver's Paradise: The Sequel (Vacation Pics pg. 48!)

Felicia

dixie reefer

Hey girlie, how is the tank coming along? Find any cool critters in your live rock yet?? How are the fish holding up?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey girlie, how is the tank coming along? Find any cool critters in your live rock yet?? How are the fish holding up?

The tank is doing fine. The sand is in and its all cleared up and cycling. The corals in the holding tank look good and the fish are hanging in there. I lost both my clowns, but I haven't lost any of the others. My coral beauty and my neon goby both still have ich spots, but they're eating and swimming around ok, so I'm optimistic they'll fight it off. In terms of critters on the new live rock, nothing major, just little things like sponges and some little feather duster worms and one snail.

I got my latest ebay auction corals today! I got 4 things for $100 including shipping, which is just awesome :)

Tube anemone ($16.50) eating pellets. My new favorite thing! Its just so cool and flowy and glowingly bright!

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo8-4.jpg.html'>photo8-4.jpg

My small acan collection. The bottom left ones ($9.99) are the newest one. Sorry for the crappy top down shots with my iPhone.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo9-5.jpg.html'>photo9-5.jpg

Another crappy iPhone shot, but check out that Tiger Derasa ($27)! It amazing in person with a nice tiger pattern with pops of green and then the bright blue rim.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo11-3.jpg.html'>photo11-3.jpg

I didn't get a shot of the bright orange plate ($20), but its a nice size and very bright and it seems healthy with good polyp extension so far.

Here are a few shots of the new scape in the tank now that I epoxied it all in place and added the sand. I still need to do a bit of cleaning in there from the sand sticking to everything, but you get the idea.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_5211.jpg.html'>IMG_5211.jpg

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_5220.jpg.html'>IMG_5220.jpg

And a short video of the tube nem! Sorry its not entirely in focus, but I wanted to show its tentacles moving in the flow :)

Mr. Microscope

Dang! Your clam is hot!

Have you done much research on the tube nem? How often do they need to be fed? I still can't believe the awesome deals you got. Looking forward to more updates.

Dang! Your clam is hot!

Have you done much research on the tube nem? How often do they need to be fed? I still can't believe the awesome deals you got. Looking forward to more updates.

Most comments about clams just sound so wrong! Haha!

I've done a bit of reading on tube nems and I talke to Hvani who's had a couple stay healthy for her long term. It seems the recommendation is to house them in a PVC pipe with sand to keep them happy without having to have a super deep sand bed. I also read feeding several times a week is sufficient and they will eat small frozen food like mysis and then also pellets and flakes. Hvani said she broadcast feeds and they'll grab food out of the water. The only other big think is to leave plenty of space around them so they don't kill neighboring corals with their sting. Supposedly they're pretty harmless to fish though. Here's a good article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/6/inverts

Sadly the coral beauty passed away :( I was so hopeful she'd fight off the ich since she'd made it this long and was still eating and acting ok. Its so sad because I got her an the clowns the same day, right after the start of the 30 gallon, so I'd had them all over 2 years. Poor fish :( I love having an angel and I definitely want another one, but now I may have issues with it nipping. The angel I had was perfect and never bothered anything, but if I get another one, I run the risk of it nipping. Especially with 3 clams, and the plan to have the new tank be LPS dominated, an angel could be problematic.

Sadly the coral beauty passed away :( I was so hopeful she'd fight off the ich since she'd made it this long and was still eating and acting ok. Its so sad because I got her an the clowns the same day, right after the start of the 30 gallon, so I'd had them all over 2 years. Poor fish :( I love having an angel and I definitely want another one, but now I may have issues with it nipping. The angel I had was perfect and never bothered anything, but if I get another one, I run the risk of it nipping. Especially with 3 clams, and the plan to have the new tank be LPS dominated, an angel could be problematic.

:( sorry.

OMG! I love everything...but that clam is my FAVORITE!!!!!!! It's incredible!!! You bought it on eBay?

Yeah everything showed up in great shape! The tube nem lost a bit of color in transit, but otherwise seems super happy and is always expanded out of its tube. Hopefully it will brighten back up to the neon orange color it should be. Its kind of tan right now.

The clam is AMAZING for the price and seemed to handle shipping just fine. It has been open and happy since I added it to the tank yesterday and the colors on it are just awesome! All of this stuff is from Aquatic Collection, which is an LFS about 35 min from me and is where all the spirals came from. They have ebay auctions and I use the auctions from time to time because you can get great deals on things. Clams that size are generally $65 in the store (I know, because my maxima is from them), but on their auctions it all depends on how high the bidding goes. The derasa started at 24.99 on the ebay auction and only one other person bid, so I got it for $27 which is a steal! Here's the ebay store if you want to keep an eye out for anything. The often have clams, acans, no name zoas/palys, plate corals, open brains, euphyllias, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sasl=josephlee17&_saslop=1&_fss=1&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_ipg=25&_os=C%7CD&_pgn=1&_pos=94709&_sop=12&_stpos=94709&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH

:( sorry.

Yeah...I am just over dwelling on this stuff... my main issues with it right now is the debate about replacing her since its so risky with angels. I need the colorful, large open water swimmer though! Clam mantles and angels can be a disaster though...

That was an incredible deal on that clam! I'll bookmark that seller just in case, for the future :).

What a dilemma. Well, you could always try and return it if it causes trouble. BTW...your scape looks amazing. I like this one even better than the original :)

That was an incredible deal on that clam! I'll bookmark that seller just in case, for the future :).

What a dilemma. Well, you could always try and return it if it causes trouble. BTW...your scape looks amazing. I like this one even better than the original :)

Joe and Karson that run the place are pretty awesome, so I recommend buying from them if you see a good deal on their ebay auctions. Sometimes people get in bidding wars and the prices go higher than in the store, but sometimes you can snag some awesome deals like I did this week. I got all my recent purchases for less than half the original price in the store :)

Yeah, its definitely a dilemma! Getting the angel back out is always the issues, but may be easier with my more open scape now. Maybe I'll try a flame angel this time around. I think they're supposed to be less inclined to nip than some of the other angels. Either a flame or just a replacement coral beauty. Ugh...I just want my sweet, well behaved one back! Stupid ich!

Thank you! I'm glad you like the scape! I'm liking the more open look this time around. I loved my arch in my old scape, but there just wasn't enough sandbed space and so the sand bed always looked cluttered and there were too many places for my fish to hide. I'm hoping the more open scape will make the fish want to be out and about swimming more often.

I made the mistake of looking at the ebay auction when I sent you the link and now I kind of want this...

symphyllia1.jpg

Mr. Microscope

Most comments about clams just sound so wrong! Haha!

LOL! :blush:

I've done a bit of reading on tube nems and I talke to Hvani who's had a couple stay healthy for her long term. It seems the recommendation is to house them in a PVC pipe with sand to keep them happy without having to have a super deep sand bed. I also read feeding several times a week is sufficient and they will eat small frozen food like mysis and then also pellets and flakes. Hvani said she broadcast feeds and they'll grab food out of the water. The only other big think is to leave plenty of space around them so they don't kill neighboring corals with their sting. Supposedly they're pretty harmless to fish though. Here's a good article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/6/inverts

Interesting article. Thanks for the link.

I'm so sorry about your angel. I hope all your other fish pull though.

LOL! :blush:

Interesting article. Thanks for the link.

I'm so sorry about your angel. I hope all your other fish pull though.

Sorry, I just had to point out how awkward that sounded :lol:

I thought it was a fascinating article, since people apparently are convinced they eat fish, but actually they aren't made to eat large food. Hvani was telling me hers both spit out silversides since they're too big. She said the biggest things hers will eat are brine and mysis shrimp.

Yeah...I am super bummed about the angel. :( All my other fish except the neon goby never even got the ich. My neon goby is what introduced ich into the system in the first place months ago. He has flare ups every once in a while but he always fights them off, so I assume he will be just fine. Maybe instead of risking another angel, I'll go the school of chromis route. They're nothing fancy but they're a pop of blue and open water swimmers, which is something I really want with the new open scape. Another option would be a melanarus wrasse to hang out with my yellow coris. They're supposed to get along and that would be another pop of color. Not sure how shy the melanarus would be though. My yellow coris is always out and about except at night when he's sleeping.

When you have something really good and then don't have it, I can totally relate to not even wanting to try again- you feel a loss and sometimes, you don't even want to get your hopes up or you just know you're never going to have it good again. I guess at those times you just have to try something new. New breed of fish altogether perhaps. So sorry. I do love your new anemone, it's very beautiful with it's long eye lashes!

When you have something really good and then don't have it, I can totally relate to not even wanting to try again- you feel a loss and sometimes, you don't even want to get your hopes up or you just know you're never going to have it good again. I guess at those times you just have to try something new. New breed of fish altogether perhaps. So sorry. I do love your new anemone, it's very beautiful with it's long eye lashes!

Yep, let's stick to the positive, like the new tube nem! I'm leaning towards maybe giving a school of 3 chromis a shot in the new tank. Granted, I love having a dwarf angel, so its a hard choice for sure. I may have to take a vote :)

In fun news, my betta sure travels in style! :lol:

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo14-4.jpg.html'>photo14-4.jpg

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo15-4.jpg.html'>photo15-4.jpg

My betta tank is usually on my desk at work, but I had it at home while I was in Hawaii so my tank sitter could feed the betta too. I've been lazy and hadn't taken it back to my desk at work yet, but I finally got around to it today. That's my Honda Metropolitan scooter that is my transportation to and from campus :)

Yep, let's stick to the positive, like the new tube nem! I'm leaning towards maybe giving a school of 3 chromis a shot in the new tank. Granted, I love having a dwarf angel, so its a hard choice for sure. I may have to take a vote :)

photo14-4.jpg

photo15-4.jpg

My betta tank is usually on my desk at work, but I had it at home while I was in Hawaii so my tank sitter could feed the betta too. I've been lazy and hadn't taken it back to my desk at work yet, but I finally got around to it today. That's my Honda Metropolitan scooter that is my transportation to and from campus :)

this has so much win

I made the mistake of looking at the ebay auction when I sent you the link and now I kind of want this...

symphyllia1.jpg

Get it!!! :D I love the colors!!!!

Get it!!! :D I love the colors!!!!

We'll see! I have to wait and see if other people are going to bid on it and run the price up. The starting bid is $35, which is about as high as I'd want to go since I'd have to pay $25 in shipping on top of it. Its pretty awesome though and would look nice on my open sand bed :)

We'll see! I have to wait and see if other people are going to bid on it and run the price up. The starting bid is $35, which is about as high as I'd want to go since I'd have to pay $25 in shipping on top of it. Its pretty awesome though and would look nice on my open sand bed :)

You can't pick it up?

You can't pick it up?

No, unfortunately even though its a store local to me, they have a rule with their ebay auctions that there is no local pickup. It has to do with their deal with UPS to get decent shipping prices. I don't think they'd send out enough packages to meet the bulk amount for their discount if they allowed local pickup on the auctions, since the auctions are the only corals they really ship. I don't mind too much since it takes 35 min each way without any traffic, so by the time you figure gas and time its not bad to pay $25 for shipping. I just prefer to get more than one thing when I pay their shipping and I really only like that brain on their auction this week.

No, unfortunately even though its a store local to me, they have a rule with their ebay auctions that there is no local pickup. It has to do with their deal with UPS to get decent shipping prices. I don't think they'd send out enough packages to meet the bulk amount for their discount if they allowed local pickup on the auctions, since the auctions are the only corals they really ship. I don't mind too much since it takes 35 min each way without any traffic, so by the time you figure gas and time its not bad to pay $25 for shipping. I just prefer to get more than one thing when I pay their shipping and I really only like that brain on their auction this week.

$25 is cheap for shipping. I'm so used to paying $50. It stinks :(.
Mr. Microscope

Sorry, I just had to point out how awkward that sounded :lol:

I thought it was a fascinating article, since people apparently are convinced they eat fish, but actually they aren't made to eat large food. Hvani was telling me hers both spit out silversides since they're too big. She said the biggest things hers will eat are brine and mysis shrimp.

Yeah...I am super bummed about the angel. :( All my other fish except the neon goby never even got the ich. My neon goby is what introduced ich into the system in the first place months ago. He has flare ups every once in a while but he always fights them off, so I assume he will be just fine. Maybe instead of risking another angel, I'll go the school of chromis route. They're nothing fancy but they're a pop of blue and open water swimmers, which is something I really want with the new open scape. Another option would be a melanarus wrasse to hang out with my yellow coris. They're supposed to get along and that would be another pop of color. Not sure how shy the melanarus would be though. My yellow coris is always out and about except at night when he's sleeping.

I just had a thought, do tube nems split like other nems? Do people propagate them or are they all wild? Might be an interesting road to travel.

I've often thought a trio of chromis might be cool. Though, in my research I keep reading horror stories about them getting aggressive towards each other and impossible to catch. I don't want to dissuade you from such an awesome fish, just a heads-up.

photo14-4.jpg

LOL! Your coolness factor just went up to 11.

Archived