Top Shelf Aquatics

Diver's Paradise: The Sequel (Vacation Pics pg. 48!)

Felicia

Those are all amazing and prices you couldn't beat unless you beat yourself. What a deal. Congrats.

And I was wondering if they had nice clams. Love that blue rim. Does that mean its only eyes are just around the rim? I'm still learning about clams.

Yep, great ebay prices tonight! No one was bidding against me, so I got to score things cheap :) The blue rim is just a coloration pattern. They have the cells that undergo photosynthesis all over the mantle (anywhere that its colored). This pattern just has more orange/gold color in the center and then blue along the rim. My squamosa clam is patterned a lot like this one. I have a maxima and a squamosa that are both doing well for me, so I wanted to give a derasa a try.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, great ebay prices tonight! No one was bidding against me, so I got to score things cheap :) The blue rim is just a coloration pattern. They have the cells that undergo photosynthesis all over the mantle (anywhere that its colored). This pattern just has more orange/gold color in the center and then blue along the rim. My squamosa clam is patterned a lot like this one. I have a maxima and a squamosa that are both doing well for me, so I wanted to give a derasa a try.

Which are the easiest to keep and in what order?

Which are the easiest to keep and in what order?

I'm not positive since I'm no clam expert, but I believe squamosa is usually considered the easiest, followed by deresa, then crocea, and then maxima being the hardest. With the maximas, the bright blue ones will be the hardest to keep since they need the most light, whereas the gold ones will be a tad bit easier since they don't need quite as much light.

I'm not positive since I'm no clam expert, but I believe squamosa is usually considered the easiest, followed by deresa, then crocea, and then maxima being the hardest. With the maximas, the bright blue ones will be the hardest to keep since they need the most light, whereas the gold ones will be a tad bit easier since they don't need quite as much light.

Well, I'm thankful then that I have a very hardy itty bitty baby clammy maxi so far. I had no idea that was the order.

Well, I'm thankful then that I have a very hardy itty bitty baby clammy maxi so far. I had no idea that was the order.

I've mostly heard that squamosas, derasas, and croceas are the easy ones, so everyone seems to have a different opinion on order. However, the consensus seems to be that maximas are the hardest. I have a bright blue maxima that is doing well for me so far!

I found a chiton! I love chitons :) Please excuse the crappy iPhone pic. I was too lazy to go get my real camera.

chiton.jpg

Great news Felicia! I only found mine yesterday since I had my rock 10/31. Yours is prettier though. :wub:

What's their specialty, cleaning rocks like stomatellas?

Great news Felicia! I only found mine yesterday since I had my rock 10/31. Yours is prettier though. :wub:

What's their specialty, cleaning rocks like stomatellas?

They're fun little hitchhikers! I'm glad to have one. I'm not sure what they eat. I know they live on rocks, so probably algae and stuff.

Just found a "hitchhikers" guide that says they are grazing herbivores.

They're fun little hitchhikers! I'm glad to have one. I'm not sure what they eat. I know they live on rocks, so probably algae and stuff.

Just found a "hitchhikers" guide that says they are grazing herbivores.

Ha, well, I have some green herb in there they can have!!! Little patches here n' there.

Ok, so I messed with the scape tonight, and I think I have it close to what I want. Here it is:

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo3-11.jpg.html'>photo3-11.jpg

Sorry about the crappy dim photo. I don't have a light on this tank. I'll get a better photo tomorrow when its sunny outside and brighter in my living room. Also, there's a lot of open sand bed space in this scape that isn't clear in the photo.

Ok and here is what I am thinking as a tentative coral placement plan:

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/CoralPlacementPlan.png.html'>CoralPlacementPlan.png

Mr. Microscope

Not bad. That'll fill in nicely.

I think you'd be better off using that euphyllia space for BTA's. They likely wonder from that other place. I'd do euphyllia on the rest of the display rock.

I LOVE that pillar on the right! Reminds me of Mr. M's pillar and Lawnman's anemone pillar. I think Mr. M is right, use that as your anemone base! you could even attach the acans to the bottom structure of that pillar!!!!

Mr. Microscope

I LOVE that pillar on the right! Reminds me of Mr. M's pillar and Lawnman's anemone pillar. I think Mr. M is right, use that as your anemone base! you could even attach the acans to the bottom structure of that pillar!!!!

Now we're talkin'! ;)

1g.gif

^That's my happy dance

No betta way to kick off a weekend than with some brand new aquascaping! Love how organized you are with all the pre planning on coral placement :happy: Wish i would have been that insightful when originally setting up my scape. Like a tru coral pig, i just bought and dumped, derp.

+1 with wut G said. I LOVE that column on the right!! That cave structure on the left is also really bangin! I wonder what it would look like with out the zoanthid rock and just the three separate structures you have in there. But overall it looks really good.

Not bad. That'll fill in nicely.

I think you'd be better off using that euphyllia space for BTA's. They likely wonder from that other place. I'd do euphyllia on the rest of the display rock.

1g.gif

^That's my happy dance

No betta way to kick off a weekend than with some brand new aquascaping! Love how organized you are with all the pre planning on coral placement :happy: Wish i would have been that insightful when originally setting up my scape. Like a tru coral pig, i just bought and dumped, derp.

+1 with wut G said. I LOVE that column on the right!! That cave structure on the left is also really bangin! I wonder what it would look like with out the zoanthid rock and just the three separate structures you have in there. But overall it looks really good.

The right hand pillar island thing was definitely inspired by Mr. M and Spirro. I wanted some of that bonsai look in my new scape. However, I only want like 2 BTA's, so they wouldn't really fill in the awesome amount of space on the top of the right hand pillar. I really invision that area as a bunch of grown together euphyllias with lots of movement. The acans could definitely go around the base there! There's lots of sand bed space so I'm not positive where all the sand bed things will go, but I have the 3 clams, tube nem, acans, plate coral, and scolys right now that all need a sand bed spot.

I like Zia's thought on removing the zoa bridge. I was having a hard time deciding what to do with that piece of shelf rock and wasn't loving it. I just took it off and the scape looks better I think. This way the BTA spire/island is isolated and the BTA's won't be able to wander into my other corals. I'm thinking I could just lay that flat rock down on the bottom as a base for my clams or the acans or maybe even some rock flower nems. Thanks for the input, Eddie! You rock as always.

What do you guys think now?

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo4-12.jpg.html'>photo4-12.jpg

Oh, keep in mind the powerheads aren't in their final positions. I just have them in there moving water until the scape in finalized and I figure out where is the best place to put them. Same with the heater in the back.

Nice plans. One of these days I'll have alot of experience and be able to forecast better placement.

I didn't plan at all when I did this tank originally. It was fun to just throw things in willy nilly, but later it prevented me from having some of the more aggressive corals like BTA's, euphyllias, acans, etc because I hadn't planned good places for them. This time around I want to plan it all out and see how that goes!

So I'm off to go deliver event posters for the local club to 6 of the fish stores in the bay area. I sure hope my wallet survives this. 6 LFS in one day is such a bad idea! :lol:

Mr. Microscope

I like Zia's thought on removing the zoa bridge.

photo4-12.jpg

Zia's a pro! Wow, I can't believe the improvement by just removing one rock. Felicia, this is really gonna be be nice. Yeah, I'd use that flat rock for your acans. That center island really looks very doable for nems now. Have you used any epoxy to shore up the stability of your right pillar?

BTW, what do you think of your WP? At first I thought it was too weak and loud, but it seems to have quieted down or maybe I just don't notice it. I don't really like the pulse modes as they seem too short. I'm using W2 or W3. They seem to be like reef crest mode.

Woa, that looks crazy good :D So modern and peaceful looking. Now you & Mr. M rockin your awesome Bonsai towers are making me a little jelly ova here. It's gonna look even more amazing with some sand in there. Btw how are you managing to keep those sunflowers alive under saltwater?

So I'm off to go deliver event posters for the local club to 6 of the fish stores in the bay area. I sure hope my wallet survives this. 6 LFS in one day is such a bad idea! :lol:

Six LFS in one day, uhm AWESOME :bowdown: Yea that wouldn't end well for my wallet either.. good luck with that :)

Looks awesome! 6 LFS in one day sounds like a blast :D.

It was lots of fun but tiring, since it involved a lot of driving. I managed to go to 6 stores and only purchase some epoxy to finish my rock scape. So much self control! :lol:

Zia's a pro! Wow, I can't believe the improvement by just removing one rock. Felicia, this is really gonna be be nice. Yeah, I'd use that flat rock for your acans. That center island really looks very doable for nems now. Have you used any epoxy to shore up the stability of your right pillar?

BTW, what do you think of your WP? At first I thought it was too weak and loud, but it seems to have quieted down or maybe I just don't notice it. I don't really like the pulse modes as they seem too short. I'm using W2 or W3. They seem to be like reef crest mode.

Yeah, apparently Zia has an eye for these things! It definitely looks much better with that rock removed. I'm glad you like how it turned out! Nothing is epoxied yet because I was waiting to decide on the final scape. I bought some more epoxy today and I'll be cementing it all in place and adding the sand this evening.

I thought the WP10 was a bit noisy at first too, but either it got quieter after running for a while or I got used to it. I actually like the wave mode. I adjusted it down to a slower pulse and man can it get a serious wave going in my tank. I haven't decided yet what combination of modes will work best between the MP10 and WP10. I'll have to play around with it and see what works the best. I actually think it puts out plenty of flow. I turned off the MP10 and was able to get a serious wave going in the tank with only the WP10 and my tank is 3 feet long. The MP10 is still a WAY better pump, but for the price, this little thing will be great for supplemental flow.

Woa, that looks crazy good :D So modern and peaceful looking. Now you & Mr. M rockin your awesome Bonsai towers are making me a little jelly ova here. It's gonna look even more amazing with some sand in there. Btw how are you managing to keep those sunflowers alive under saltwater?

Six LFS in one day, uhm AWESOME :bowdown: Yea that wouldn't end well for my wallet either.. good luck with that :)

I'm glad you like it! I've always been jealous of the bonsai towers. I'm glad I could incorporate one into my new scape. Thanks so much for having the eye to realize I needed to move that one rock.

Gotta love the reflections in the tank :lol: Those are my fake sunflowers in a vase on my entryway table :)

So tired after running all over the bay area! I had fun socializing and window shopping though :D My wallet survived!

awesome pick up. that clam is awesome. love the blue rim.

Thanks! I like the blue rim too. My squamosa has similar coloring.

You have major self control! I went to my LFS today and he had a little ruby dragonet. I used my self control powers and walked out without it :).

The right hand pillar island thing was definitely inspired by Mr. M and Spirro. I wanted some of that bonsai look in my new scape. However, I only want like 2 BTA's, so they wouldn't really fill in the awesome amount of space on the top of the right hand pillar. I really invision that area as a bunch of grown together euphyllias with lots of movement. The acans could definitely go around the base there! There's lots of sand bed space so I'm not positive where all the sand bed things will go, but I have the 3 clams, tube nem, acans, plate coral, and scolys right now that all need a sand bed spot.

I like Zia's thought on removing the zoa bridge. I was having a hard time deciding what to do with that piece of shelf rock and wasn't loving it. I just took it off and the scape looks better I think. This way the BTA spire/island is isolated and the BTA's won't be able to wander into my other corals. I'm thinking I could just lay that flat rock down on the bottom as a base for my clams or the acans or maybe even some rock flower nems. Thanks for the input, Eddie! You rock as always.

What do you guys think now?

photo4-12.jpg

Oh, keep in mind the powerheads aren't in their final positions. I just have them in there moving water until the scape in finalized and I figure out where is the best place to put them. Same with the heater in the back.

I didn't plan at all when I did this tank originally. It was fun to just throw things in willy nilly, but later it prevented me from having some of the more aggressive corals like BTA's, euphyllias, acans, etc because I hadn't planned good places for them. This time around I want to plan it all out and see how that goes!

Looks good! IMO move the smaller pillar towards the right an inch or two, then take the right rock on the left island and reposition it, that would be my scape!

You have major self control! I went to my LFS today and he had a little ruby dragonet. I used my self control powers and walked out without it :).

Yay for us and our powers of self control! One of the stores I went to had 3 ruby red dragonets in stock and 2 of the 3 he had eating frozen cyclopeeze. Cute little things :)

Looks good! IMO move the smaller pillar towards the right an inch or two, then take the right rock on the left island and reposition it, that would be my scape!

The three islands will probably get moved around relative to each other when I'm finalizing the scape tonight, but that's pretty close to how the final scape will look.

Archived