Innovative Marine Aquariums

Custom NUVO 20 Fusion: New Stand

xiaoxiy

Enter Da Ugly Period. Diatom bloom happened today; in a span of 8 hours, my tank went from white to being covered with a light brown dusting.

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, what are you using to shoot your videos? You may have mentioned before and I missed it! Followin, I love your tank!

Thanks! I'm using a Sony HDR CX430.

PSA: Make sure your water change water matches your tank water in temperature.

I forgot to, and did a water change with waters that differed by 5 degrees. Pissed corals are pissed.

Also, do all ya'll tanks smell like good ol' fish when you do a water change/rockwork is exposed to air.

Thanks! I'm using a Sony HDR CX430.

PSA: Make sure your water change water matches your tank water in temperature.

I forgot to, and did a water change with waters that differed by 5 degrees. Pissed corals are pissed.

Also, do all ya'll tanks smell like good ol' fish when you do a water change/rockwork is exposed to air.

Also, make sure the PH of new water is at least close to your tanks PH. In an emergency i had to mix with tap water... 15 minutes later my tank is completely white. Couldn't even see the fish, let alone the corals. The difference in PH makes some sort of calcium precipitate as far as i read.

Also, i get a slight fishy smell, but its not bad or off-putting really.

Also, make sure the PH of new water is at least close to your tanks PH.

Agreed. I usually never check because I use the same salt mix/RODI water. I definitely went into panic mode as all my corals closed up.

Everything is still doing splendidly today though.

P.S. Dave, I might steal that euphyllia tree idea, and do an aquascape built based off of this bonsai tree.

LOL.

bonsai-tree-3preview.jpg

It's the smell of the SPS I really dislike!

Am I crazy for wanting to tank this tank down, removing the back chambers of my 8G Cadlight Mini & running a bonsai scape?

I'd use this fluval edge set up a freshwater tank Iwagumi, hardscape-only tank for my parents.

Am I crazy for wanting to tank this tank down, removing the back chambers of my 8G Cadlight Mini & running a bonsai scape?

I'd use this fluval edge set up a freshwater tank Iwagumi, hardscape-only tank for my parents.

Nevermind. I'm going to wait until I finish med school.

Then I'll get a 18x18 Mr Aqua Cube & execute this setup. Oooooh boy.

I've been wanting to do a bare bottom with GSP covering the bottom with a tree like euphyllia structure foreverrrrrr.

You know that 18'' cube you got there? DO IT.

I was seriously considering doing the bonsai scape with my cadlight, but having 6 more inches on all sides would allow me to get even bigger colonies of euphyllia, and it would allow me to get a pair of clowns to dive and swim through all that euphyllia.

Gah, I'm so torn as to whether I should execute this idea with my cadlight or not.

Any suggestions?

Aquascaping with corals! A field of star polyps and colorful clove polyps would be a spectacular alternative to planted beds.

Hey guys,

I successfully de-back chambered my Cadlight 8G Mini.

This is the scape I was thinking about doing; the "leaves" would be made up of different bunches of branching frogspawn (each bunch as depicted in the image). This specific bonsai tree was my inspiration (see attached bonsai).

What are your thoughts about this scape? Any suggestions?

post-82034-0-92536500-1396060210_thumb.png

post-82034-0-51423800-1396060392_thumb.jpg

Operation remove cadlight's back chambers is complete.

No turning back now. LOL.

Gutsy move!

Hey guys,

I successfully de-back chambered my Cadlight 8G Mini.

This is the scape I was thinking about doing; the "leaves" would be made up of different bunches of branching frogspawn (each bunch as depicted in the image). This specific bonsai tree was my inspiration (see attached bonsai).

What are your thoughts about this scape? Any suggestions?

Very different idea. I like it!

.... Damn. If I do this idea, I'm gonna need to drop another $130 for all that frogspawn (shipped); it comes out to about $16 a head, which isn't too bad.

Good thing Frag Fest is this coming weekend; maybe I'll be able to pick up some cheaper hammer & frogspawn frags.

This hobby is sometimes stupidly expensive.

EDIT:

I was wondering, how bad of an idea would it be to run an 8 gallon tank with nothing for filtration but

- 1-2lb of LR rock (Dry Weight)

- 3 lb of "live sand"

and a MP10 as a pump.

Would I be screwed in terms of filtration and nutrient control? In other words, how much surface area is REALLY needed for a nano?

Nevermind. No canister filter = no in-line heater = heater in tank/nothanks.

In other words; I'm torn whether I should execute the bonsai idea or not.

Pros:

-Potential to look amazing

-Starphire Tank

-Few reefers have explored this type of aquascape

Cons:

-Expensive

-Have to take apart an already stable system

-Don't know how I can place lily pipes & MP10 to optimize flow for ~9 heads of frogspawn.

Steensj2004

Gotta be honest, something like GSP or zoas would look more like a bonsai. just my .02. I feel like it would be hard to position the frogspawn skeletons and the long polyps might look odd. scans would look banging too!

Archived